Cloud technology that would be cool in DCS

StandingCow

That would be epic! Holy FPS drop though.... either way I certainly hope the new clouds that ED are working on have some resemblance to these but I doubt they would be quite as detailed. Amazing what modern computing technology can do

That would be epic! Holy FPS drop though.... either way I certainly hope the new clouds that ED are working on have some resemblance to these but I doubt they would be quite as detailed. Amazing what modern computing technology can do

I wonder what sort of impact these would have... you'd think it wouldn't be that bad if they are hoping to cell this tech to flight sim devs.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I wonder what sort of impact these would have... you'd think it wouldn't be that bad if they are hoping to cell this tech to flight sim devs.

The clouds require that the sim run on Unigine so it isn't something that can be sold by itself. That also makes it something that an existing sim can not just switch switch over to. ED would have to abandon EDGE and rewrite a lot of stuff.

Unigine been around for quite some time and yet nobody has built a flight sim on it, or any other game that I am aware of.

From four years ago.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No one will create a sim with this engine for passion. Today the companies want to make money and flysims don't create enough profit.

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

No one will create a sim with this engine for passion. Today the companies want to make money and flysims don't create enough profit.

It has little to do with passion, or profit, it has to do with making the decision to use Unigine before you start writing any game code. ED decided on EDGE before Unigine was even available as an option.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Dual Universe is based on Unigine

Pre-alpha less than a year ago, and funding through kickstarter. They are a long way from a released game so my statement still stands.

Even switching to a newer version of the engine a game is already using is a major undertaking.

Not only a major undertaking, if a engine dont have implemented critical questions about functionality, physics, resourses and others with collide with your previous program.

That is not change a jacket by other and magically working, you will need totally reconstructed, learning and rebuild all your program to work without issues, and of course see what functionality and capability lost with the change (surely a great quantity of your work), and if have economic viable.

Pre-alpha less than a year ago, and funding through kickstarter. They are a long way from a released game so my statement still stands.

Even switching to a newer version of the engine a game is already using is a major undertaking.

:music_whistling:

:music_whistling:

Not sure what you mean. Dual Universe is still in pre-alpha and they hope to release in 2018. But they will take your money right now. :)

Not sure what you mean. Dual Universe is still in pre-alpha and they hope to release in 2018. But they will take your money right now. :)

just a list of released games based on unigine, to me they are all BS... but no flight sims

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208460/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200390/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/361550

Edited by finch

• ED Team

moved to chit chat.

While I understand this was started as a request it has turned into a comparison with other engines and is better placed in chit chat.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

moved to chit chat.

While I understand this was started as a request it has turned into a comparison with other engines and is better placed in chit chat.

Actually, it is just about Unigine and why ED can't use it. Nobody compared it to anything.

• ED Team

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are forbidden. While we allow news and updates to be posted in our Chit Chat section, we do not allow the discussion, reviewing of, or comparison of other software here. Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

If you think it was wrong for it to be moved PM me, not that it will change anything

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Honestly, this is stunning:

Holy crap... thought that was a real ship at first.

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are forbidden. While we allow news and updates to be posted in our Chit Chat section, we do not allow the discussion, reviewing of, or comparison of other software here. Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

If you think it was wrong for it to be moved PM me, not that it will change anything

I don't mind it being moved at all... but is this really a "game company" discussion? It's more of a "game technology" discussion that ED could potentially implement (not saying it is possible or not). Either way, chit-chat is fine if you think this is where it belongs. :)

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

that ED could potentially implement (not saying it is possible or not).

ED can't implement part of another game engine. It just does not work that way.

Hey Guys,

Don't be fooled by eye Candy.....

Time lapsed, speeded up graphics aren't how the real world appears.

The invisible, real world dynamics that drive the visual cloud effects as they'd work in real life, within the complexity of DCS are beyond the capabilities of current hardware - in which case, it won;t be truly realistic.

At the moment, for best performance, turn the clouds off, wherever possible.

It might be a different story in 5 years time, but not now.

i7-4790, 16GB DDR3, 6GB EVGA GTX1060 SC, Oculus CV1, Track IR 5, BenQ XL2720X, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Microsoft Windows® 8.1 -

Looks to be nicely rendered with 780Ti.

There are few things that I would demand from the DCS future 3D engine part (other part is mainly about AI and logic systems etc) and it is a great clouds that allow to have the pillars so you can actually use clouds for visual concealment as to block the IR radiation etc.

Then the another is to have the ground random generated with the trees, bushes, rocks and such so when you fly at low with helicopter or so, you get lots of concealment places or clutter to hide ground units.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

There are few things that I would demand from the DCS future 3D engine part (other part is mainly about AI and logic systems etc) and it is a great clouds that allow to have the pillars so you can actually use clouds for visual concealment as to block the IR radiation etc.

Then the another is to have the ground random generated with the trees, bushes, rocks and such so when you fly at low with helicopter or so, you get lots of concealment places or clutter to hide ground units.

As long as the AI can see through both trees and clouds, and probably rocks and bushes too, it doesn't matter.

Also, randomly placed objects would be a complete mess for MP.