VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

dburne

I am sporting a Warthog combo with Mit freundlichen Grüßen pedals and fell in love with the idea of getting a VKB/Virpil/Winwing Stick and another throttle later when there’s an interesting one (VKB?)

However, looks like I get the most out of the MK III with a modern combat grip and eng labels. I play WW2 and modern but I don’t see a reason to limit to a WW2 stick or grip. I also prefer extension so I need one of the extended version.

My questions:

1. Is ordering from flightsimcontrols.com the best option for Europe?

2. the twist axis is lockable and not very expensive so I tend to buy it to be one the safe side. Won’t use it for rudder of course but it could be handy for space sims plus I am used to a free moving stick on my warthog featured by the stick extension. The stick angle just slips into the best position. This won’t work here I guess as the axis will self center, right? Guys, what’s your opinion about the twist axis?

3. Does the stick fit on a Warthog base plate like the one from Monstertech by chance? Well at least it could be...

4. are there any sales ever? Guess no...

5. Right now I have a 12cm extension for the Warthog. It’s longer than any of the ones of friends. To me it‘s quite good and I got used to it quickly. 20cm seem to be pretty much but I don’t want to miss an opportunity. Any advice on this point?

6. anything else to consider?

For the VKB Gunfighter Pro, you would need the Monster Tech base plate for it.

You can also get either a 200mm extensions ( Pro-L) or a 100mm extension ( Pro-S).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For the VKB Gunfighter Pro, you would need the Monster Tech base plate for it.

You can also get either a 200mm extensions ( Pro-L) or a 100mm extension ( Pro-S).

Yes thanks, saw the plate and going to order it. Just had the idea of maybe even the one for the WT would fit with lots of luck.

What are your main reasons to prefer to Virpil and WinWing

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Yes thanks, saw the plate and going to order it. Just had the idea of maybe even the one for the WT would fit with lots of luck.

What are your main reasons to prefer to Virpil and WinWing

Only two holes would line up on the Warthog plate, reason I know is they first sent me a Warthog plate by error and got me a replacement Gunfighter plate out right away.

VKB and Virpil are pretty close in my opinion. Can't really say why, except I just prefer the feel of the Gunfighter and just seems to be little higher in quality, ie metal paddle lever and trigger. I also found the Gunfighter easier to work with when changing cams and springs, but this was in comparison to the original version of the Virpil T-50 Mongoos.

Can't comment on Winwing as have not tried theirs.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Nice dburne! I share many points of you and especially also Fri13 (Great Statement) in this thread and I am about to order GF3 Pro with twist, eng labels and 200mm.

Just found out flightsimcontrols has no package including the extension so you end up above 500 EUR even with slow shipping (aiming for the quick one).

Any better idea where to order to Germany?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

PS do I need a smaller baseplate for the MT GF plate? Should connect directly right?

PS do I need a smaller baseplate for the MT GF plate? Should connect directly right?

I would definitely get the Gunfighter plate for your Monster Tech Mount if you don't have one.

Also note with the 200mm extension you will probably want the extended Monster Tech Mount if you only have the standard one.

hqxiGR6.jpg

Edited by dburne

Don B

Thank you! Sorry for being stupid but is GF Plate directly usable on 8020 extrusions like from MT or do I also need the flat MT adapter plate for VKB Sticks?

I went from desktop mounts to center pole extrusion anyway (space no issue anymore)

Thank you! Sorry for being stupid but is GF Plate directly usable on 8020 extrusions like from MT or do I also need the flat MT adapter plate for VKB Sticks?

I went from desktop mounts to center pole extrusion anyway (space no issue anymore)

The Gunfighter Plate just replaces the Warthog Plate on the Monster Tech Mount.

Don B

Wow!!! Great news! Saves a lot of money

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my GF III Pro with twist and extension. Quick start guide is not good and QR Leads to videos but not what I need.

Should I apply the 50s springs? Are the contacts on the extension on friction only and is it just plugged between stick and base without any screws?

Just received my GF III Pro with twist and extension. Quick start guide is not good and QR Leads to videos but not what I need.

Should I apply the 50s springs? Are the contacts on the extension on friction only and is it just plugged between stick and base without any screws?

Springs - with extension yes you will probably want to the #50 spring. You have a spring pull tool in there that makes this a very easy job really.

Extension - hooks on the same way as the grip. There is an adapter that is like two round solid metal rods with a v cut out in middle. That goes in the hole, attach grip or extension properly, then tighten the screw to firmly attach.

I am assuming that the twist version attaches the same way.

Don B

Springs - with extension yes you will probably want to the #50 spring. You have a spring pull tool in there that makes this a very easy job really.

Extension - hooks on the same way as the grip. There is an adapter that is like two round solid metal rods with a v cut out in middle. That goes in the hole, attach grip or extension properly, then tighten the screw to firmly attach.

I am assuming that the twist version attaches the same way.

Thanks! But the grip is only screwed to extension but extension only sits loosely on base, right?

But wait... adapter you said. Found no additional adapter in the package. Looking again...

Edit:

Oh I see there was a second screw in the 50# package. The V/U Cut is for ergonomic adjustments, right? Gonna put the #50 in to protectcthe stick mechanics (guess I would take less even with 20cm extension). Hope it’s not too difficult.

About the twist. Looks like it only twist into one direction and only a very short distance

Edited by Atelophobia

That V cut is what allows the device to clamp firmly the extension when you tighten the screw.

You can adjust the amount you might like to angle by twisting a little before tightening it down.

Don B

Nice! Can you jump in right away or should you do fw upgrade, calibration an all that stuff?

Nice! Can you jump in right away or should you do fw upgrade, calibration an all that stuff?

Probably fine with the firmware it came with.

Definitely calibrate, using the VKB software.

Follow their calibration guide on their website.

Do not calibrate in Windows.

Don B

Probably fine with the firmware it came with.

Definitely calibrate, using the VKB software.

Follow their calibration guide on their website.

Do not calibrate in Windows.

Will do! Changed springs, put everything together and updated firmware so far. Difficult to get a good overview what you need especially as the PDFs for the single tools didn’t mention that gunfighter is supported. Slowly took first steps as I only had few minutes today here and there because of real life. Will calibrate tomorrow and start testing in DCS and MF FS. Like the feeling of X and Y already. Grip itself is somewhat strange to me until now. For some Buttons my hand seems to be too small and for some too big. Overall strange when you are used to the massive WT build. But I love the many buttons that’s why I opted for this grip. I really hope I get used to less tactile feedback from the buttons and overall ergonomics. But as I said already now the X and Y seems to be very good. No deadzone resistance. My Warthog already got somehow sticky

Will do! Changed springs, put everything together and updated firmware so far. Difficult to get a good overview what you need especially as the PDFs for the single tools didn’t mention that gunfighter is supported. Slowly took first steps as I only had few minutes today here and there because of real life. Will calibrate tomorrow and start testing in DCS and MF FS. Like the feeling of X and Y already. Grip itself is somewhat strange to me until now. For some Buttons my hand seems to be too small and for some too big. Overall strange when you are used to the massive WT build. But I love the many buttons that’s why I opted for this grip. I really hope I get used to less tactile feedback from the buttons and overall ergonomics. But as I said already now the X and Y seems to be very good. No deadzone resistance. My Warthog already got somehow sticky

:thumbup:

Good deal, have fun with the new setup!

Don B

MCG definitely felt a bit weird at first and buttons were underwhelming on first impression. I'm very used to them now. I hardly ever use the top two buttons (AP Off and LVLNG). I moved the red cap to Gun which is my weapon release for US fighters.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for the review.

Mine is on the way together with the rudder :-)

I was wondering, is this possible to use 2 extensions sticks? ie 2 x 20cms?

I'd like to have the joystick standing on the floor but one extension stick is too short for my set up.

Thanks

You are most welcome, enjoy!

Not sure on your extension question, for me one of the 200mm is plenty long enough but I use a Monster Tech Extended Mount.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Physically you can do it, technically as well. But I don't know what is the VKB official statement about the design to support a electronic signals going through so long distances and two extra connectors. The VKB grip design is very good (likely best there is) and you have three pins in it, with each taking a own sector pie so you can twist the extension and grip for ergonomic angle.

The VKB offers two extensions, a 10 cm that is straight and 20 cm that is curved. So if you would take a 20 cm one, it would be curved extra away from the base.

The curved part is as well not possible be inverted but only tilted 15 degree angle.

The problem you would face is that as the 20 cm extension is designed to support extra tall grip centering with the curve, that extra 20 cm extension with its curve would require you to add more spring force to Y axis to get it center it for you.

So your best option would then be using a 4 x 10 cm extensions, but now you would have multiple connectors for the signal, and have a change to cause problems.

There of course could be a way for you to buy a 10 cm extension, cut it to two pieces and add a own custom extension pipe between to get it wanted height.

Your challenge would be to find out how is the extensions built, that is there cables soldered between two connectors or are the connectors a solid rods or something inside. But as there are just three pins in connector, you can solder at least then own cables to extend them.

But then comes your another major challenge, with a long lever arm you make for it, the base is under heavy stress for the forces you are going to apply. And you will have severe problems to have the stick moved between your legs because long lever + high angle means you are hitting the joystick more to your tights than anything. So you end up tweaking the curves and sensitivity in DCS axis panel so that you can have a full control output range as you can only use so little of the extended joystick.

The 20 cm is really a plenty already. Even the 10 cm is enough for majority. For helicopter uses I would recommend 20 cm.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Physically you can do it, technically as well. But I don't know what is the VKB official statement about the design to support a electronic signals going through so long distances ....

Thank you for the input. Very much appreciated.

Thinking of making a stoper around the stick to limit the throws and adjust end points in DCS ... not sure yet .. or make a 20/30cms hight base on the floor.

I'll be using this setup infront of big a TV without a desk/table.

Thanks for the review.

Mine is on the way together with the rudder :-)

I'd like to have the joystick standing on the floor but one extension stick is too short for my set up.

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm using two 200mm extensions for my cyclic mod. Works just fine for helicopters. But without the added dampeners, the resistance in the springs are quite soft, even with 2x40 springs. ab68d3200f343e418fc7df451d8d6141.jpgfb4bf128d5d59f3ffad3754230dbd9a1.jpg

Sent fra min G8441 via Tapatalk

I'm using two 200mm extensions for my cyclic mod

Sir your build is really breathtaking (I'm serious) - but please be aware that the mechanism of the gimbal, no matter how strong, may fail when facing this load. You know some basic mechanics (looking at your creation I understand how offensive this word "basic" may be ;) ) so I don't have to explain how much a long lever loads the mechanism.

I believe to properly handle this load every bolt and screw need to be at least double the diameter, and the same should go about pretty much every part of the gimbal.

So yes I sincerely admire your creativity - but really, you're doing it at your own risk! :joystick:

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

He he.. I guess I can forget about the warranty after posting those pics

It was just an idea I had that I wanted to try out. Thanks for the compliments, but I'm no engineer or anything, so it might very well break down anytime. I just put in an order for another Gunfighter, to make sure I have something in case it does.. Also I need something to fly the fixed wings with.

I'm well aware though of the high torque involved with the long throw. Actually, I removed both the springs and the cams. There shouldn't be any stress on the gimbal mechanism now, I figure. It's only the dampeners that provide the resistance.

But one problem I have is that I need to recalibrate it quite often now. When I start up dcs it's not centered, and usually some jitters too before calibration. You have any idea why that happends? Is the cams somehow involved with the sensors? I was going to open the base up again to have a look. Maybe I overlooked something.

Btw, you guys should make a proper collective and cyclic. You can have my idea for free

Edited by SACG_Yeti