FPS on Supercarrier

Neil Gardner

Hello

I am always the one with the boring question but having just looked at the stunningly beautiful work of art that is the up and coming carrier model, and thought how much I would love to get it, yet I must ask: how does it perform? It looks like an amazingly complex module and as beautiful as it is I cant go down the road again of buying something that frustrates because it is like a slide show. Can someone give me an idea please?

Thanks

Neil.

If it is a “thing”, Like everything else, it will most likely depend on your System and Settings.

At this point, Just saying it will be a slide show is an uneducated guess.

Maybe devs have tested with various systems and can give us an idea of what to expect.

I don’t think that’s asking too much.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• ED Team
Hello

I am always the one with the boring question but having just looked at the stunningly beautiful work of art that is the up and coming carrier model, and thought how much I would love to get it, yet I must ask: how does it perform? It looks like an amazingly complex module and as beautiful as it is I cant go down the road again of buying something that frustrates because it is like a slide show. Can someone give me an idea please?

Thanks

Neil.

In initial testing, the deck crew and carrier model have very little impact on performance. The bigger impact can be the number of aircraft the mission create places on the deck. Even with a crowded deck, I've never had a "slideshow".

Thanks

looking forward to loading this carrier up with choppers!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Are the deck crew added through the mission editor or default setup on the carrier?

If added through ME is each individual added or is it set up like a team/group of guys?

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

It will be a beautiful slideshow.

We might have to run it in powerpoint for it to be realistic... :megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

And now check out Wags PC specs. Even secondary PC is a monster with 6700k and 1080Ti on board. Not everyone can afford such PC. We'll see the performance once it's out.

For a bit of perspective...

1440p monitor, i5 7600k at 4.6GHz, 1080 Ti and 32Gb of 3200MHz RAM here...while on the deck of the Stennis in the Tomcat, four static aircraft parked, in the middle of open water, out of site of land, empty mission, I see FPS drop into the 50's.

This is with shadows low, terrain shadows flat, MSAA 2x, SSAA off...

Along with deck sliding, FPS impact is my biggest concern with the new carrier.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I´m very eager for this module since i can remember but my fears are with VR.

But i´m sure i will enjoy it.

Best regards and keep up,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1440p monitor, i5 7600k at 4.6GHz, 1080 Ti and 32Gb of 3200MHz RAM here...while on the deck of the Stennis in the Tomcat, four static aircraft parked, in the middle of open water, out of site of land, empty mission, I see FPS drop into the 50's.

A drop into the 50's. What do you normally get?

Buzz

Carrier is likely less to render than an entire airfield and surrounding area :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

A drop into the 50's. What do you normally get?

It varies greatly...

This is all in the Tomcat; Viper and Hornet are on average about 10-20 FPS higher.

On the ground at Nellis, completely empty map, FPS around 90.

Flying over Las Vegas or Persian Gulf cities, FPS will drop into 60's, sometimes 50's...completely empty map.

Over open desert or ocean, clear blue sky and empty map, FPS will shoot up to 120+ and even max at my refresh rate of 144 at times.

Near cities or other aircraft, FPS takes a significant hit and I struggle to maintain 60 FPS...away from everything, it is perfectly fine.

For me to maintain 60 FPS in all situations, I have found I need to turn shadows off, mirrors off, and turn down visib range.

Carrier is likely less to render than an entire airfield and surrounding area :)

Empty airfield compared to empty carrier...sure.

It all evens out though as soon as you start adding just a few aircraft. I see the same 40-50 FPS drop with just a few aircraft added to the ramp of an airfield or carrier deck.

Yes, good point.

I was just asking because i use to populate a lot my Stennis with mods, crew, etc, and still get fps to fly but now with some animated crew i was wondering how it goes.

Thank you,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

looking forward to loading this carrier up with choppers!
e

Just don't block the Cats like the P51s always do.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Well you are using a GPU designed for driving a 1080P monitor, and you are asking it to drive a 1440p. What do you expect? Not being a jerk, just saying. Asking more of your hardware than it was optimized for.

Well you are using a GPU designed for driving a 1080P monitor, and you are asking it to drive a 1440p. What do you expect? Not being a jerk, just saying. Asking more of your hardware than it was optimized for.

If a 1080 Ti is meant for 1080p, then what GPU's are for 1440p, 4K, and VR?

It varies greatly...

This is all in the Tomcat; Viper and Hornet are on average about 10-20 FPS higher.

On the ground at Nellis, completely empty map, FPS around 90.

Flying over Las Vegas or Persian Gulf cities, FPS will drop into 60's, sometimes 50's...completely empty map.

Over open desert or ocean, clear blue sky and empty map, FPS will shoot up to 120+ and even max at my refresh rate of 144 at times.

Near cities or other aircraft, FPS takes a significant hit and I struggle to maintain 60 FPS...away from everything, it is perfectly fine.

For me to maintain 60 FPS in all situations, I have found I need to turn shadows off, mirrors off, and turn down visib range.

Have you tried a frame rate limiter set to 60? Sounds like your CPU/GPU is doing a lot of extra work. The hotter your CPU and GPU get, the more likely they are to throttle. Do you have an AIO for your CPU or is it aircooled? A little bit of CPU overclocking goes a long way in the DCS engine. PM me if you want any help with tuning. I'm sure we can get you a few frames.

Mirrors are one of the biggest FPS killers. Once you are up in the air at high altitude you can usually turn them on. Cockpit display resolution applies to mirrors as well. Turning shadows completely off seems kind of drastic. Turning down heatblur and Depth of field/motion blur off are a big help with little impact on image quality.

I would just ignore the other guy. 1080 Ti was the first card that could hit 4K consistently

Have you tried a frame rate limiter set to 60? Sounds like your CPU/GPU is doing a lot of extra work. The hotter your CPU and GPU get, the more likely they are to throttle. Do you have an AIO for your CPU or is it aircooled? A little bit of CPU overclocking goes a long way in the DCS engine. PM me if you want any help with tuning. I'm sure we can get you a few frames.

Mirrors are one of the biggest FPS killers. Once you are up in the air at high altitude you can usually turn them on. Cockpit display resolution applies to mirrors as well. Turning shadows completely off seems kind of drastic. Turning down heatblur and Depth of field/motion blur off are a big help with little impact on image quality.

I would just ignore the other guy. 1080 Ti was the first card that could hit 4K consistently

Thank you for the help.

I normally do fly with a frame rate limiter set at 60, I just turn it off for testing to see what my actual FPS is. Even with the framerate limiter on, I will see the dips below 60 FPS.

I don't see any temperature issues...CPU hits 70C at 100% usage, GPU hits around 60C at 100% usage. All of this is air cooled.

I am currently running a stable 21% overclock at 4.6GHZ. I tried up to 4.8 GHz, but only saw a 1-2 FPS increase...not worth the increase in temps.

Thanks for the tip about the mirrors, great idea. I will try turning them off while on the ground/deck, and turn them on once airborne.

I already have depth of field, motion blur, and heat blur turned off.

Thank you for the help.

Thanks for the tip about the mirrors, great idea. I will try turning them off while on the ground/deck, and turn them on once airborne.

I already have depth of field, motion blur, and heat blur turned off.

:thumbup:

Mirrors are definitely a luxury but I've lost count of how many times I've had a 109 or a MiG streak past my mirror that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

If a 1080 Ti is meant for 1080p, then what GPU's are for 1440p, 4K, and VR?

Where does it say a 1080Ti is for 1080p Gaming?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs