32Gb vs 16Gb?

Cake

From ED, recommended system requirements include RAM: 16 GB.

So, my question, as I wait for the release version to update to 2.5, is how much of an improvement would 32Gb make? Unfortunately, memory is much more expensive than a couple of years ago when I got the first 16Gb... almost double the cost.

Other specs include i7 6700K @ 4.6. 1080TI, Rift and / or single 1440P monitor.

If the extra ram would really make an improvement, I'll grab some but I can't think of any other reason at this point to go to 32.

Thanks.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

When i run single player my ram sits anywhere from 5gig usage on my task manager to say 9 gig.When i load into multiplayer it goes up to 15.9 gig and i get stutters( not just when someone joins the server) these stutters can be anywhere from micro to seconds long, which if happens at take off or landing means almost certain crash.If you have the money get 32 gig, better to have more than less.Btw i have 16 gig.I was saving for a replacement for my CH HOTAS to get a warthog as my HOTAS is old and starting to fail.But now I'm saving for new ram so i see what you mean about the price of Ram it's very expensive at the moment.Good luck and happy flying:)

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

I would`nt rush out and buy more RAM yet, it`s beta, and ED should optimise 2.5 and find the RAM hog, no game in this age should consume that amount of RAM, FSX/P3D/Xplane in the past use to but they optimised the memory leaks and refined the code and scenery.

My 2 cents

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

I play MP in 1.5.8 and now in 2.5 ob with 16gb RAM ddr4 and I've never experienced a crash caused by RAM lack. Btw I also have my preload radius to 100'000 which is fine for me.

Cheers

SILVER 11 | Dedde

DCS MODULES: A-10C; F-15C ; M2000C; AV-8B N/A; F/A-18C; SA342; CA.

Asus PRIME Z490-P Intel Core i7 10700K @4.9 GHzNvidia GeForce GTX1070 8GbCorsair Vengeance LPX Black 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 @3200MHzSamsung 850 EVO 256GbSamsung 24" 1920x1080 @60HzTrackIr 5; Hotas Warthog; Thrustmaster TFRP; Turtle Beach PX22;

I have 32gb of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 MHz (2x16) which I got last year for $165 now it is $350 I will tell you if you have VR 32gb really helps for all games I use SteamVR supersampling on 3.0 and have no stutters on any game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As long as you don't have much running in the background 16GB would be enough, DCS 2.5 might be different but GDDR is far more important to have over 4GB because NTTR can go to 5.5GB, and the new Caucasus 2.5 probably similar, so it's recommended to have an 8GB RAM GPU.

It's tricky because not everything that's needed by the game is always loaded in it's executable, but does stay in windows standby memory and is loaded quicker that's why additional RAM would help with more response in ME, but I've seen a lot of the ME is effected by a lot of other factors such as if you land on a buggy situation and the storage speeds, in my case I had big laggy and stuttery problems with a numer of things on Win7 (which is like loaded with all kinds of dev programs, but I keep optimium maintenance that most people dont) and trying it on a slower storage with Win10 actually worked better with same exact hardware.

It's hard to say for me without doing proper test and calculating which I did approach just never finished completely, but it's all obsolete because it was a year ago on older version, I would have to redo everything on DCS 2.5

The speed up would only be in certain places where you are expected to wait anyway, it won't actually speed up FPS when you're in the core gameplay action.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I play MP in 1.5.8 and now in 2.5 ob with 16gb RAM ddr4 and I've never experienced a crash caused by RAM lack. Btw I also have my preload radius to 100'000 which is fine for me.

Cheers

You wouldn't get a crash even if you were over the limit, because you're probably using default windows pagefile settings which would make your game slow down or even grind to a halt, but it wouldn't crash it.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I have 24Gb DDR3 and although it did completely freeze up on me last night, I haven't had any huge issues with it yet. Haven't tested it out in Multiplayer yet. ;)

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

I would not build a new machine with 16GB but 32GB.

Try it out, 2.5 is brand new, bugs are present a little, wait I'd say, maybe you can keep the 16 and get happy, tho I doubt it.

I often enough see and saw it using 12-14GB, not good if u only have 16

For VR, defo 32GB

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

That yes, for new machine 32GB, but upgrading from 16GB to 32 just for DCS isn't worth it at the current DRAM prices.

I often enough see and saw it using 12-14GB, not good if u only have 16

You saw DCS.exe using 14 GB of RAM, can you post a screenshot of that?

2.5 makes me think about upgrading to 32gb.

Watch the memory performance stats when you play. My PC was at 20gb of used ram (not all dcs) and needed to do a lot of loading and loading to keep everything running.

It's easy to see if you need to upgrade, especially if you have a second screen.

Ignore the task manager memory usage.

When i run single player my ram sits anywhere from 5gig usage on my task manager to say 9 gig.When i load into multiplayer it goes up to 15.9 gig and i get stutters( not just when someone joins the server) these stutters can be anywhere from micro to seconds long, which if happens at take off or landing means almost certain crash.If you have the money get 32 gig, better to have more than less.

That was exactly my experience, went to 24Gb, maxed the preload and got rid of the stutters.

Yeah I'm going to upgrade to 32 gig and fingers crossed it works for me also.Also thinking of upgrading cpu and motherboard while I'm going to the expensive and trouble.

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

i7/6700k OC 4.7 ASUS Z170 DELUX/16 DDR4 FAST MSI 1080TI.

15 yr old nephew who builds his own rigs since 12 yanked 16 out of his machine and into mine.

Saw no difference with 32. He did notice my SSD had only 75 gigs free so he freed up 150g and set the virtual memory to the rec but static where both numbers are the same.

That test saved me $300+ for the ram. I run smooth as silk VR. Some tried/true for stutters are stop overclocking and ram ocing to stock see if it helps., Blow out the machine for dust, turn off anti virus, reload vid drivers and try prev version. Turn off any sound card enhancements. Run sim at bare minmums and start adding things one by one. Disable those "voodoo" tricks and run vanilla and see. Disable any magic programs that promise better fps/cores/etc. Simming is like frying bacon naked.

Edited by JIMJAM

Prices are silly now, and they seem to keep climbing.

The 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) I bought in 2015 was under 90, up to about 170 late 2017, now over 200.

Guess I should have just went with 32 then!

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I'm running on 16gb of ram + system managed page file. In MP my page file usage gets up to about 13gb. Have been able to fly MP servers with 80-100 fps.

As long as your SSD's and drives aren't filled to capacity, and they have room for paging and then some (because ssd's perform better when they have free space to operate) 16 gb of ram should be fine imo. Upgrading to 32gb of ram mostly eliminates the need for large page files.

Biggest things that effect performance currently is any MSAA at all while using deferred shading, and as usual - Civ traffic is something I instinctively set to off.

I also run my shadows flat. I'm most certainly maxing out my 980ti... but.. new gpus may be around the corner and it's almost impossible to find a reasonably priced 1080 Ti at present.

That being said - sim's running plenty smooth for my tastes, minus the weirdness when first connecting to a server that I'm pretty sure ED's already aware about.

To make up for the lack of MSAA, I've enabled FXAA in NV control panel as well as set the texture filtering quality to High quality with almost no impact on framerate. I've just kind of learned to accept the shimmer/jaggies from anything outside of a certain distance. Game's still gorgeous even if I think the sim needs some kind of post-processing AA (SMAA?) that works better with Deferred rendering.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Guys, you don't need 32Gb.. It's just a waste of money. As many here have mentioned, when you open task manager and track your memory usage it rarely peaks and even more rarely will it spike to 20Gb or more. Plus, if you're running SSD's the most I would say you need is 24Gb to be future proof. The rest is just bragging rights. ;)

I know that Linus Tech tips on YouTube has an excellent explanation regarding this issue so have a look there before forking out the cash for 8 more Gb DDR4 RAM.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

This is silly talk. You don’t need 32GB to run DCS...

I have 16 and run it fine with high settings in VR and it runs very smooth.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

That much ? I run 640kB + himem with 384kB...in config.sys and autoexec.bat

16GB is what you need today for DCS, there you are right.

Many think that VR and Streaming loves 32GB.

I need 32GB for other reasons as well ( VMware ), so it was easy for me, I would have taken 128GB if it was dirt cheap.

If you buy fancy DDR4 RAM, 2 x8GB, you will struggle to find a matching pair that runs with XMP together with your 1st pair a year from now, or two. That is one vague thing you cant rule out, been there a few times. That's why I buy more RAM than I will need if I can afford it, to never run out of it.

Displacement and RAM are hard to substitute.

As a side note; I measure my system every time I play anything and even without the leak we currently have, back in 1.5.x I had RAM usage up to 14GB when playing online.

If you only have 16GB total, DCS will NEVER ever grab that much RAM, it can't. YOur system will then start to swap, back and forth, back and forth.

Like 2 -->3rd gear..steeeeep hill..back to 2nd gear..rev it up-->3rd gear ehhhh-->back to 2nd gear. If you had some more Torque, you'd just cruise up the hill with a trailer and 2 horses, like if it was empty.

YOu should run more than 16GB to see if it needs more, with 16GB you have limited "view" and will never see if it would ever grab more, no way. Then, 640kB is always enough..LOOK it wont take more ! Only 640kB ;)

Think logic, not in a box

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X