Question re radar ranges

Snappy

Hi everyone,

I have some problems understanding the M2000 radar.First of all, why does it have selectable ranges of 160 and 320NM, when it can‘t detect anything even remotely that far out?

The radar training mission mentions a max detection range of 65NM in High PRF, which seems reasonable.

Under optimum conditions I can detect bomber sized targets at around 80nm headon.

But beyond that it becomes useless, so why are these range selections available if they can‘t be used?

Could imagine its for datalink targets, but then again the M2000 doesn’t have DL capability, does it?

Next question is, the radar training mission (NTTR version) mentions 5NM as the smallest selectable range, I can‘t go below 10NM. Is it an error or is that poorly worded , referring in reality to the close combat modes?

Last question, why does the radar range increase selector knob stop working at 80NM?If I want to access the above 160/320 NM ranges I have to slew the TDC cursor to the top of the radar screen. Is this a bug or system design quirk?

Kind regards,

Snappy

1. The aircraft has a unique capability called DO (désignation d'objectif), it's a manual radar track. It means that the pilot can input the position, speed, bearing and altitude of a contact reported by a GCI/AWACS and follow the contact from far away and radar off (hence the 160nm and 320nm range). It works as long as the contact does not change course or speed. It can be useful for bombers for example.

2. The training missions are a a bit old, the module have been updated a lot lately so that might have changed.

3. I only use the range switch to change the range on the radar and I didn't notice a problem going into 160/320nm, I will test it when I have the occasion.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Hey,

thank you very much, I hadn't thought of the DO function, makes somewhat sense to have the higher ranges for these.

Re 3.)

I suspect a bug by now, its reproducable for me and did some more testing, whats even stranger, if you have selected Range 160 or 320NM (via TDC slewing) and then press range increase switch (yes increase!) the range jumps instantly back to 80NM.

Regards,

Snappy.

I just did the test on Open Beta, I don't have your issue.

Maybe you should test your HOTAS assignment ?

I did the test at all ranges, up and down.

If I bump to 320Nm, then press radar up button, nothing happens.

If I bump to 160Nm, then press radar up button, radar sets to 320Nm.

And yes, maximum radar range is 80Nm, no matter what the target size is.

This is because the radar is High PRF. Beyond 80Nm it wouldn't be able to telle the range.

Below 80Nm, it depends on target's radar cross section.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Hi Jojo!

very strange, I'm on open Beta too.

I have no problem with 80NM being the maximum detection range, as I wrote its reasonable, even 65NM as mentioned in the tutorial for High PRF.

Can check, but I don't how or which HOTAS button could interfere with this range setting. I use a standard castle switch for TDC slewing.And the TDC is not moving by its own.

Just to confirm, starting from the smallest 10NM range setting, you can select up all the way up to 320NM range by only using the range increase / decrease selector switch on the radar control panel on the left side beneath the throttle , without ever touching your HOTAS or moving the TDC?

Kind regards,

Snappy

Hi Jojo!

very strange, I'm on open Beta too.

I have no problem with 80NM being the maximum detection range, as I wrote its reasonable, even 65NM as mentioned in the tutorial for High PRF.

Can check, but I don't how or which HOTAS button could interfere with this range setting. I use a standard castle switch for TDC slewing.And the TDC is not moving by its own.

Just to confirm, starting from the smallest 10NM range setting, you can select up all the way up to 320NM range by only using the range increase / decrease selector switch on the radar control panel on the left side beneath the throttle , without ever touching your HOTAS or moving the TDC?

Kind regards,

Snappy

Yes, but I didn’t try by clicking the button in 3D in the cockpit.

I have it assigned to my X55 throttle.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Hmm,

maybe its the click-button on the radar control panel then , thats not working correctly .Because I operated with the mouse via the clickable button in the cockpit and I checked my HOTAS assignement , I have nothing assigned to radar range increase / decrease , so there shouldnt be any intereference.

OK I tested this some more. Its a bug in the animated toggle switch for radar range increase , decrease.If you use the actual switch via mouse click on the radar panel, it does not increase Range above the 80NM setting and if you have a higher range already selected and click the "range increase" switch , it jumps back to 80NM.

But if you assign keybinds or hotas to the radar range increase/decrease functions the system works normally as it should, when you prese the keys or HOTAS buttons.

So the actual switch in the cockpit or the logic behind is bugged.

Regards

Snappy