AI L-39 can fire R-3S in Front Aspect.

Kelevra9987

Today I flew some Singleplayer Training in a L-39 against other L-39.

I was in a Head to Head Engagement and the Enemy fired his R-3S in Front Aspect at me.

And yes, I catched it like a Ball. Then I pressed LShift+R to restart the Mission and found myself again in a Head to Head Engagement with the L-39.

The same result as the first Front Aspect shot.

But as far as I know the R-3S are Rear-Aspect only, compareable to the GAR-8 from the F-86F

Maybe someone can reproduce this but maybe it's just me being stupid :music_whistling:

Cheers :)

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

L-39 doesn't have an afterburner.

The R-3S uses an uncooled Lead Sulfide seeker. Because such seekers are only sensitive to fairly high frequency IR radiation, it requires direct line-of-sight to the hot parts of the engine like the inside of the nozzle and the final turbine stage in order to get a lock.

The AI, however, are able to cheat. You'll notice that many R-60M equipped AI aircraft are able to launch head-on, and it seems that the L-39 continues that trend.