FC3 and Steam - confused

Rincevent

Hi

so it seems that FC3 will never get to Steam due to legal obligations, except in certain countries.

I tried a search but could not get an answer :

Can I download DCS World and all my modules in Steam, download the FC3 module from ED, install and activate FC3 old-fashion once I launch DCS World in Steam ?

Thanks in anticipation

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? Charles De Gaulle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haven't tried to myself, but it's my understanding that you are unable to install FC3 into the Steamaps directory because of the registries, or something along those lines.

In my opinion, however, this isn't the biggest issue. If you could install it, how would you keep it up to date? the updates and modules in the Steam version of DCS:W are handled by steam itself, not a self-updater or Module Manager (Which might I add, is not included with Steam Version).

I believe the only way to keep it updated would be to uninstall and reinstall for every update, and given that there are normally 3-4 patches within a month of a major update, the StarForce is going to interfere fairly quickly.

My advice would be to just continue with the game and modules provided on the Eagle Dynamics website. As much as I want to use Steam, I'm happy with this arrangement:smilewink:

Thanks for the answer, that's what I thought.

I will continue with ED's downloads and maybe put DSC World into Steam to get the Steam friend list anyway.

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? Charles De Gaulle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately Steam often offers DCS modules on sale when DCS itself does not (via their website). For instance right now you can get Combined Arms via Steam for 8.99, A-10 is 11.00, the Mustang is 11.99 and the Huey is 44.99. You get the drift ;)

It would be nice if both Steam and Eagle Dynamics would have sales at the same time so there is no confusion as to which format to go with.

It would be nice if both Steam and Eagle Dynamics would have sales at the same time so there is no confusion as to which format to go with.

There is nothing stopping you from buying a module on Steam and using the CD Key you get from it on a non-Steam install. It works the other way around too (with exception to FC3, BS2 upgrade and the Mi-8, at least while Belsimtek keep it in beta).

My A-10C came from Steam originaly. My Mi-8, CA and FC3 from ED themselves and my BS2 from Gamefly, all running on a non-Steam install.

Search the forums, there dozens of topics about this and how to go about it. :thumbup:

• Like 1

There is nothing stopping you from buying a module on Steam and using the CD Key you get from it on a non-Steam install. It works the other way around too (with exception to FC3, BS2 upgrade and the Mi-8, at least while Belsimtek keep it in beta).

My A-10C came from Steam originaly. My Mi-8, CA and FC3 from ED themselves and my BS2 from Gamefly, all running on a non-Steam install.

Search the forums, there dozens of topics about this and how to go about it. :thumbup:

Great to know, thanks Cheese! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but!

What is Steam? & what are the advantages of flying in Steam? why has DCS World introduced this "Steam"??? isn't DCSW supposed to be an independent combat simulator?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Sorry but!

What is Steam? & what are the advantages of flying in Steam? why has DCS World introduced this "Steam"??? isn't DCSW supposed to be an independent combat simulator?

Don't worry, if you don't use it or know what it is then there is no impact on you.

It's just an alternative game sales and installation platform. It's only an issue if you choose to use it....

Have a look here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2