PC upgrade or OCULUS?

WAIT, I dont need all those childhood problems that usually comes with new technology. I rather enjoy fps beyond 100fps and call it a day ;)

Me too I'll wait 2-3 years before I consider buying a rift. And if budget does not allow, I would rather invest in the rig or monitor :music_whistling:

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Well, I just got my rift a couple of weeks ago and I'm still blown away each time I fly DCS with it... I can't imagine flying without it now. YMMV but I would go for the rift after experiencing it. If you have a buddy nearby that has one you could try I would recommend it strongly!

EDIT: I had a GTX970 when I first bought it and it was acceptable, but seeing I had the money I also bought a GTX1080 to go with it.

Edited by Justificus
Add more info

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

You should NOT have mentioned this !

Just checked, it's 449,-€ at CaseKing....damn !

NO, NOOOO..........damn

Yes, yes yes....

Just a word of consideration, the VR is currently very much overhyped. Not just the hardware dependent but by the content and the whole idea of "being there".

There are really only a very few games that are worth the VR experience and DCS is one of them, while still very "broken" by implementation of functionality (like how the VR centered mouse cursor mode works) and then limited by the hardware.

DCS benefits more about hardware if you don't get good stable FPS now.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You should NOT have mentioned this !

Just checked, it's 449,-€ at CaseKing....damn !

NO, NOOOO..........damn

You do realize that new rig you have coming, just screams for the Oculus Rift bundle to compliment it?

:santa:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah, I do....BUT..if I wanna stay married I better not !

I saw the red line and I am not gonna cross it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Not enough FPS sadly, that is why after just over a week I returned it

I have a 3440 x 1400 Gsync screen, and it ran DCS fine, the Gsync hides the frame rate changes very well,

but when using the Rift when the FPS drops it is very noticable.

The resolution just isnt high enough for something so close to your eyes,

a friend warned me before I bought it as he works in software dev and had

tried both rift and vive. He said it wasnt ready yet and I agree with him.

It was very hard to spot anything at distance eg trying to ID ground targets to attack was really hard,

same with spotting aircraft.

I will say though that the 3D effect when flying in a heli low to the ground was great,

so much so that the first hard turn I did I thought I was going to puke (trick is to tilt your head into turns)

I gave it a shot and found it wanting, I am just glad I was able to get a full refund.

Another mate bought one and he hardly ever uses it for DCS

Well, your experience is what majority seems to get and find out. Diehards now think that VR is the thing but it is like offering 20% more what display does, but takes away 60% of what you need to do.

So it is like one step forward and ten backwards.

Yet, it is worth to use for same cases but not for combat or training. More like "cruising flight".

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well, your experience is what majority seems to get and find out. Diehards now think that VR is the thing but it is like offering 20% more what display does, but takes away 60% of what you need to do.

So it is like one step forward and ten backwards.

Yet, it is worth to use for same cases but not for combat or training. More like "cruising flight".

I wholeheartedly disagree. And its not because I spent the money, and wont admit to it.

I use the Rift exclusively, and simply cant fly on a monitor anymore. I have no problem managing the systems, no matter which module it is. And I dogfight, both BVR and WVR, plus ground pounding.

I have my TM warthog and two button boxes, plus keyboard -back lit, and infront of me, so I can see it if I tilt my head back a little, and have no problem finding the buttons in blind. All muscle memory and little bit of button on button box counting / feeling- only takes a second or two, and I have the right one, worst case.

And yes, for writing down notes and stuff, yea obviously not good in VR.

Spotting I dont find any harder in VR than on a monitor. ID'ing, yes, thats really tough in current state of VR. And atm that renders WWII a little useless for me, online. Too big a disadvantage for me, not being able to ID the planes in time. Others dont seem to have as big a problem with it, as I do though.

In the end, its all relative, depending on what you do, fly, how you fly/use the planes etc etc.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I am enjoying the heck out of it for combat, disclaimer however: I fly SP only and have no problem toggling labels when needed, yes I have no shame.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've had the dk2, and the screen door effect has put me off to wait till that is completely resolved.

There's a big improvement from DK2 to CV1. But if you only care about SDE, you'll be disappointed. So you should probably wait.

And before this thread devolves into another love it/hate it (since blacklisting people doesn't apply to quotes - unfortunately), let's agree that some love it and others hate it. There, we covered all the basis.

So let's talk about some factual things you CANNOT do unless you have VR

1. Feel the sensation of flight: speed, altitude, etc. It's how the brain senses things.
  2. Spacial awareness. You simply can't with TrackIR so STOP with "TrackIR and 4K is adequate"
  3. Open the door of the Huey and lean out to look under you and maintain flight control.
  4. Defeat a SAM because you can fly *and* keep an eye on the SAM. Again, TrackIR can't do the same thing.
  5. etc.etc.etc. I'm sure others will jump in with "but you can't do this with VR list any minute now so I leave it to them.

Lot of companies allow you to return things. So what do you have to lose save a few hours of your time? Just keep every box/cable etc and give it a shot.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

snip....

And before this thread devolves into another love it/hate it (since blacklisting people doesn't apply to quotes - unfortunately), let's agree that some love it and others hate it. There, we covered all the basis.

So let's talk about some factual things you CANNOT do unless you have VR

1. Feel the sensation of flight: speed, altitude, etc. It's how the brain senses things.
  2. Spacial awareness. You simply can't with TrackIR so STOP with "TrackIR and 4K is adequate"
  3. Open the door of the Huey and lean out to look under you and maintain flight control.
  4. Defeat a SAM because you can fly *and* keep an eye on the SAM. Again, TrackIR can't do the same thing.
  5. etc.etc.etc. I'm sure others will jump in with "but you can't do this with VR list any minute now so I leave it to them.

Lot of companies allow you to return things. So what do you have to lose save a few hours of your time? Just keep every box/cable etc and give it a shot.

You're a clairvoyant! ;):lol::thumbup:

live and let live... OP, keep us posted. :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

ohhh and guys 1 last question as i see a bunch of people talking about their rift dies because of the headset cable do you have any issues?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

ohhh and guys 1 last question as i see a bunch of people talking about their rift dies because of the headset cable do you have any issues?

Have not encountered this issue.

With the Rift, you must use USB 3, and it must be a compatible USB chipset. Most folks go with an Inateck USB 3.0 card.

Checkout the Oculus site, and run their compatibility checker. (My motherboard's built-in USB 3.0 was compatible, so I didn't need this card)

https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798/

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

i have a asus z87 pro with 6 usb 3.0 build on i also run the program and pass

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I used the Inateck USB 3.0 card (you best only use 2 ports on it mind you)

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

i have usb 3.0 by default on the board isnt enough?

I'm told Rift wasn't quite to HDMI spec and caused some issues. Happened to me before with TitanX(Maxwell). So I just stuck an HDMI to DP adapter and life was good. The strange thing is that it just happened one day w/ no change to the system. But a $7.00 adapter fixed it.

On the 1080Ti, I went back to using the HDMI.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

i have usb 3.0 by default on the board isnt enough?

Probably will be good enough. I've even used 2.0 in the past and it worked oK.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I am using 3 ports on mine, have been since Jan - working very good for me, probably have been pretty lucky lol.

Don B

definitely worth the price of admission! ;):thumbup:

+1

In VR everything is 3 dimensional, you just can't beat that, so immersive. Get the Rift you will be blown away. Ok its not as crisp but spotting targets is hard in 2D or 3D, so there is very little drawbacks, in fact there are way more positives. 3 Dimensional cockpits & units, one to one tracking, no more bending around the cockpit in Track IR, feeling like you are inside the cockpit and not looking at it, the list goes on.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Hello, I have a Oculus Rift for sale if you are looking. I'v used it a couple of times. It makes me sick as a dog :(

Oculus Rift + Touch Includes: Oculus Rift headset, 2x Oculus sensors, 2x Touch controllers, all required connecting cables, and seven free VR apps

Who ever is interested please message me.

11/15/2017 Oculus

Rift bundle on sale for $349

https://www.oculus.com/

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Rift bundle on sale for $349

https://www.oculus.com/

That is the lowest we have seen to date from Oculus, and is a great deal!

Don B