What to do against the sabre?

Kyso4ek

I have no idea i had thought that the mig should have a vertical advantage or an advantage at high altitude.

1)It may have a slight advantage in vertical but its too small to evade the sabre.

2)High altitude means that you cant use vertica;l maneuvers pretty much. Sabre easily wins in horizontal or dragging you lower. Sabre is actually much better at high alt where the mig cant do verticals easily. You re forced into horizontal or to dive.

Yup thats the idea.

The F86F blocks 25- 35 which had the 6-3 wing ( including earlier F sabres that had post factory refit) essentially IRL made the F-86 on par at high altitudes with the Mig15bis.

Only thing left to do is to try to Drag the Sabre into an extended Horizontal Manvuer fight which the sabre will loose to do higher stall speeds, or to do something to bleed his speed, But all in all the saber is arguably better if flown by a pilot that knows how to manage Energy, despite inferior initial acceleration and climb to the Mig15bis. Sabre can essentially engage and Disengage at will. Migs cant dive after or give chase at the sabres speed Given They suffer from Severe Control surfaces compression above 900 Km/H.

baiscally if BSt had gone with a F-86F block 20 or earlier, with those leading edge slats, whilst it be a better turner, it wouldn't be able to fight against the Mig15bis as well at high altitudes, and thus IMo would have been easier matchup for MIg fans.

Sorry if thats not exactly a formula to make you a absolute winner in the mig or if its not what you wanted to hear. But its one of those matchups where 1 side is a slight underdog. After all In real life it was only really with the F86A that the US pilots had some trouble with the Migs( when piloted by Russians). F86E brought greater parity due to all flying tail allowing it to retain greater control at high speeds ( though it still lacked in power due to same engine as the A model) , whilst the introduction of the F86F with its more Powerful engine, especially later blocks with those 6-3 wings, basically corrected the main pilot compliants & weakness of the Sabre against the Mig15, and gave pilots a Proper Mig killer. ( taking poorer skill of the Korean pilots aside and primarily focusing on machine vs machine capabilities) Its why the F86F is generally regarded as the definitive Sabre variant ( at least of the Korean war). Of course by early 1953 the Russians were putting into service the Mig17, but it didn't see use in Korea, luckily for US pilots.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I've just been flying for a few hours on the Korean War server ...Great server.

I expected to be able to climb away from a sabre, at lower speeds anyway, and also expected the Sabre to pull away in a dive..

I found the opposite. The Sabres would catch me in a climb at hi or low speeds, and I could pull away in a dive initially but as the Mach built up I had to climb again. Which really put me in a difficult position. I can't climb away. I can't dive away. Turning at hi alt seems to favor the Sabre and at lower alt is almost exactly even.

Add to this the fact that the Sabres always had the numbers davantage . Sometime I had three sabres v just me in the Mig15.

It all adds up to just having to leave the server and fly something else... Quite a shame they didn't do versions of the two planes where the Mig 15 had the vertical advantage and the Sabre had the horizontal advantage. Thats what I think most pilot would want and expect. Instead we get a Sabre that holds all the cards.

Team work can over come anything. But as I say everyone wants to play with eh niove toys and the Mig was out numbered every time I try the Korea server.

DAM, I'm so disappointed. I was thinking that these two planes were evenly matched and an experienced pilot could do well in either plane if flown to advantage.

I had another go this morning and getting the hang of it...

I was able to fight 5 sabres by myself for 30 min and control the fight.

You can extend away in a shallow dive quite easily and then zoom climb/turn. Shallow dives are the key.

Also at only one point did one of them get into a firing position. I dived and popped breaks chopped throttle and did aileron scissors. We know the Mig 15 ailerons are better than the sabre air brake for decelerating so they can't help overshoot in this situation .. .just hope he isn't a good shot for the first few seconds !

So extend in shallow dives and scissor with breaks if defensive.

This works but it is not at all what I was expecting having read so much about Mig 15 climbing away from Sabres in the war.

popular korean accounts are definitely not to be relied on because like kev2go said, it's simply not this matchup.

sabre doesnt do low speed vertical on the deck quite as well as you do, although a tenacious sabre pilot can still hang on you like a cheap suit.

when youre almost on fumes its possible to just walk away from the sabre in an uphill.

the speed limit is definitely the worst thing about the 15.

Edited by probad