South Atlantic Theatre aircraft and equipment. - Page 16 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #151
Harlikwin
Veteran

Its a good question. I basically look at it like this and this is only a guess but its what I'd do if I were running their company. They have a bunch of 3d guys, of course they will mostly work on the upcoming planes, but what about when those are mostly done? Then you either move them to the next plane or move them off to build stuff for south atlantic until they need to fix something on the hi-fi planes. Or maybe they get bored, and the south atlantic project lets them build something than highly detailed undercarriage all day long.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #152
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Its a good question. I basically look at it like this and this is only a guess but its what I'd do if I were running their company. They have a bunch of 3d guys, of course they will mostly work on the upcoming planes, but what about when those are mostly done? Then you either move them to the next plane or move them off to build stuff for south atlantic until they need to fix something on the hi-fi planes. Or maybe they get bored, and the south atlantic project lets them build something than highly detailed undercarriage all day long.
Or someone came along with some skills & enthusiasm for the conflict & they thought "hey this is a great idea", and they took it on board. Game DLC is an incredibly fluid environment - I've done contract code work for the original dev house & three different addon-producers for one title, meanwhile all of them were looking around at publishing other people with a solid idea & some concrete work / skills.

The stumbling blocks aren't usually artists, they can work on their own if they're briefed as to how to set up models, even systems work is somewhat independent although at that point you're interfacing with the base - it's the people who have the detailed knowledge of the base who tend to be in short supply, so FM work & pointing out that the fancy system design that got proposed isn't going to work, etc.

I always smile when people say "stop making new stuff & fix bugs!" - do you really want a 3d artist fixing your code?

RAZBAM - please find someone who wants to make helicopters
Old 09-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #153
Harlikwin
Veteran

Agreed on that. Their 3D to coder ratio seems skewed from what I can tell, or their 3D guys just work faster. Hence give them some "additional" stuff to work on other than new modules.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #154
Dusty44

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
NATO war stocks? I thought they were supplied directly from the USA bilaterally. That's at least what the harrier squadron commander aboard the HMS Invincible Nigel "Sharkey" Ward said in his book "Sea Harrier over the Falklands". There was no word on NATO war stocks.
Picked up this magazine at airport to take on my holiday and it had and article covering just that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	217158   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	217159   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	217160  

Dusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #155
Richard Dastardly

Was idly reading Falklands-related topics & noticed something about Mirage use - the III didn't have the range to make it to the islands so they used it to defend against mainland Vulcan strikes? I'm not going to turn down a Mirage III, but it'd have made more sense to do a Dagger ( or just a V ) first no?
Old 09-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #156
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty44 View Post
Picked up this magazine at airport to take on my holiday and it had and article covering just that!
Very interesting, thanks a lot for showing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dastardly View Post
Was idly reading Falklands-related topics & noticed something about Mirage use - the III didn't have the range to make it to the islands so they used it to defend against mainland Vulcan strikes? I'm not going to turn down a Mirage III, but it'd have made more sense to do a Dagger ( or just a V ) first no?
From wiki:
Quote:
The Argentine Air Force deployed their Mirage IIIEA fleet during the 1982 Falklands War. Their ability to function as long-range strike aircraft was dramatically hindered by the type's lack of any aerial refueling capability; even when furnished with a pair of 2,000 litre (550 gallon) drop tanks to carry extra fuel, the Mirages (and Israeli-built Daggers) would be forced to fly up to the absolute limit of their range in order to even reach the British fleet from the mainland. Normally, the fighters would be sent to engage patrolling British Harrier jets and to provide air cover to a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk strike force; however, they would had no more than five minutes over the combat area at most before having to embark upon the return flight back to their air fields. Usually, Argentine Mirages were flown with an armament consisting of one Matra R530 or a pair of Magic 1 AAMs. They only entered direct combat once, resulting in one of the Mirages being shot down by an AIM-9L Sidewinder fired by a Harrier and another that was destroyed by friendly fire after attempting to land upon the runway at Port Stanley when nearly out of fuel. The fighters were frequently deployed to conduct diversion flights, flying at a very high altitude to force a response from the patrolling British Harriers to improve the chances of survival and success of the attack force. Additionally, a number of Mirages were also kept on a high state of alert against possible Avro Vulcan raids upon targets within the Argentine mainland, as well as to serve as a deterrence against aggressive flights by neighbouring Chile conducted upon Argentina's western border.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassau...#Falklands_War

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #157
Richard Dastardly

Point taken - if you check the detailed deployment wiki page they ended up just being used as strike mission decoys, though, because they didn't have the fuel to enter ACM & get home again...

I guess it depends on whether there's a bundle release or everything appears individually, but the M3s as the initial primary Argentine aggressor is probably not going to work out spectacularily.

Either way, I'm not going to turn down a M3

I would suspect the devs found it long ago, but for anyone else who's interested in the background to the campaign, the Margaret Thatcher Foundation has thousands of declassified documents from the period.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #158
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
I would suspect the devs found it long ago, but for anyone else who's interested in the background to the campaign, the Margaret Thatcher Foundation has thousands of declassified documents from the period.
Interesting, thanks!

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #159
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Either way, I'm not going to turn down a M3
I mainly want it for the israel/syria map, that will likely come first.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #160
denissoliveira

The advantage of developing the M3 is that you can create the M5, Daggers ect from it with few modifications, as they often share engines, armaments etc.
denissoliveira is offline   Reply With Quote