Why not integrate SRS instead of your in-house VOIP? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
GunSlingerAUS

Default Why not integrate SRS instead of your in-house VOIP?

As the title asks, why doesn't ED work with the creator of SRS to integrate this piece of software into DCS? Here's why I think it makes perfect sense to do so:

1.) SRS has years of development and refinement behind it, and is widely recognised as being basically perfect for DCS. ED can't hope to match the quality and features of SRS without several years of effort.

2.) Due to the fact that SRS is so good, nobody is using the extremely limited VOIP feature that ED has recently deployed. The community will not migrate to an inferior solution.

3.) The creator has expressed that he'd love for SRS to be integrated into DCS.

So then, why is ED trying to reinvent the wheel when there's a brilliant solution already available, and which the creator of has expressed willingness to include within DCS?

I'm sure the community would love to hear what ED's thoughts are on this matter.
Intel i7-9700K; 32GB DDR4 2666; Aorus RTX 2080 Ti; Asus Hero XI motherboard; Samsung 2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSD; 1TB ADATA mSATA SSD; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Sennheiser GSX1200 headphone amp w/ BeyerDynamix MMX300 headphones; LG 34gk950f 34" 3440 x 1440 display; HP Reverb HMD; Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and TFRP pedals; TrackIR5; Razer Viper Ultimate mouse; Corsair K65 keyboard; one very happy gamer behind it all!
GunSlingerAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Mr_sukebe

Have you ever tried to support code written by other people?
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Fusedspine33

So much else to do/finish/deliver, reinventing the wheel is surprising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fusedspine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Eldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Have you ever tried to support code written by other people?
I did. It's the worst place in hell you'll be in. But I didn't ask those questions
Old 12-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
rrohde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlingerAUS View Post
So then, why is ED trying to reinvent the wheel when there's a brilliant solution already available, and which the creator of has expressed willingness to include within DCS?
I am sure most folks would prefer ED's own integrated solution over some external, third party mod... Since ED already laid out the development plan, it will be greatly enhanced down the line from its initial start.
rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
GunSlingerAUS

Umm, most major pieces of software development leverage multiple external tools, plug-ins and code. I've worked on several in the past, and this was standard practice...
Intel i7-9700K; 32GB DDR4 2666; Aorus RTX 2080 Ti; Asus Hero XI motherboard; Samsung 2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSD; 1TB ADATA mSATA SSD; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Sennheiser GSX1200 headphone amp w/ BeyerDynamix MMX300 headphones; LG 34gk950f 34" 3440 x 1440 display; HP Reverb HMD; Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and TFRP pedals; TrackIR5; Razer Viper Ultimate mouse; Corsair K65 keyboard; one very happy gamer behind it all!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
GunSlingerAUS

Btw, it's very sad to see this suggestion got moved to an obscure part of the forum where it won't be noticed. Oh well, hopefully Dice will consider what the community desires.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
probad

thats insulting that you think we dont read the rest of the forum
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlingerAUS View Post
As the title asks, why doesn't ED work with the creator of SRS to integrate this piece of software into DCS? Here's why I think it makes perfect sense to do so:

1.) SRS has years of development and refinement behind it, and is widely recognised as being basically perfect for DCS. ED can't hope to match the quality and features of SRS without several years of effort.

2.) Due to the fact that SRS is so good, nobody is using the extremely limited VOIP feature that ED has recently deployed. The community will not migrate to an inferior solution.

3.) The creator has expressed that he'd love for SRS to be integrated into DCS.

I'm sure the community would love to hear what ED's thoughts are on this matter.

1. Yes, True the SRS Mod is more developed.
2. No, There are plenty of servers and users that use the integrated VOIP, As A lot of users do NOT want to install 3rd Party Mods.
3. It's not as simple as "Here's my Mod Code, You can have it" if that were the case, we'd still have support for the Hawk.

Dedicated VOIP was one of the most requested features behind Dynamic Campaign.
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
Kocrachon

Its a 3rd party tool that works using 3rd party options and 3rd party connectivity. By building a new integrated system, you will improve performance.

You can't just copy and paste the code. RIght now it runs as an external client, thats how all of the code is written. Having a built in client will require a lot of different coding. ANd most of us that use SRS would much prefer to use an integrated option.

As a server owner, I -HATE- having to update the SRS server client at random times because of when he decided to drop a patch. If its integrated in the game, its always patched when my game is also patched. Its one less thing I need to separately patch and manage.

Even the maker of SRS himself has said he prefers the idea of ED making their own VOIP system. So if the maker thinks its the better option, than its likely the better option.
Kocrachon is offline   Reply With Quote