Vietnam War - POLL - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: With the aircrafts we have, should devs focus on creating a Vietnam environment ?
Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator 817 86.00%
No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus 133 14.00%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #81
ericoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
We could just keep pretending to collide with trees. Don't you have any imagination?

Oh SHIT... *wuush, peng, boom, drrrrzzzz... POW* Im going down!!!

No, not realy immersive.

Last edited by ericoh; 08-04-2014 at 03:54 PM.
ericoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #82
Hueyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrim View Post
If ED can't get tree's collidable, making a vast jungle map seems like a huge waste of time and resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
We could just keep pretending to collide with trees. Don't you have any imagination?
Yeah guys you both made a point ! But working hard to render each branches, each leaves and tree parts a hard object and making all correct calculations to see how it would react when colliding with airframe parts... does it really worth it ? I mean, you know when you are flying through foliage that you souldn't be alive IRL, does it require a whole team to work hard to actually make you crash ? Or you can just be adult and fly a couple of feets above treetop like everyone is doing ? That shouldn't avoid a great VISUAL representation of a dense jungle and green areas ...

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)/EC120B/AS355N/Bell 206/AS350B2
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #83
Scrim

Eh, lemme see: Fly into a tree, especially with a helicopter since they're most prone to. How do you reckon the blades will deal with it?

Sorry, but making a jungle map with this joke of a tree simulation would be sheer idiocy. And there's really little justification for why trees still aren't collidable. It's just low quality, especially for helicopters. The thing that would be almost as bad on a jungle map would be the fact that the AI would shoot straight through it. A Vietnam map would mean pretty much only COIN missions for helos, and that'd just not work if you insert troops in a clearing and every single enemy withing range would open up on you through the trees.
Scrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #84
scrtagnt69

Maybe the perimeter trees and a few meters in could be effected by fire as you approached a "Hot LZ" or waiting to load/offload..It would definitely add to the excitement.
scrtagnt69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #85
Hueyman

Hopefully one day someone will start working on something like this ...

408 peoples have voted now, the thread has been viewed 25 000 times and 85% of those people are for it, and I'm sure there is no more than 3-4000 seasoned simmers of DCS nowadays, so I think it's significant, and it's a theater which has never been studied in such a complex and accurate sim ... Will be like a huge fresh breath over the overly done WWII theaters !

I hope that EDGE will bring the tools needed to make DCS World a true flexible platform where several projects will starts ;-)

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)/EC120B/AS355N/Bell 206/AS350B2
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #86
MacEwan

I voted yes but I would still like to see collision with trees and AI that doesn't shoot through them before a Vietnam map is made. Limited visibility was one of the main aspects of the Vietnam war.
MacEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #87
rubblebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueyman View Post
Hopefully one day someone will start working on something like this ...

408 peoples have voted now, the thread has been viewed 25 000 times and 85% of those people are for it, and I'm sure there is no more than 3-4000 seasoned simmers of DCS nowadays, so I think it's significant, and it's a theater which has never been studied in such a complex and accurate sim ... Will be like a huge fresh breath over the overly done WWII theaters !

I hope that EDGE will bring the tools needed to make DCS World a true flexible platform where several projects will starts ;-)
I've always thought game developers have been lazy in regards to the vietnam war. It was a very unconventional war and game developers have tried to squeeze it into conventional gameplay. It doesn't work. The ground war was predominantly a war of attrition, kind of boring for the "i must have action now" gameplayer mentality. The air war was straight jacketted with ROE, SAM sites could not be hit until they were operational to avoid the risk of killing Russian. Target selection in the North was determined by the politicians in Washington not the military. Airfields were of limits in case the North Vietnamese moved their aircraft into China, which would have increase their reaction time! Bewildering. The Vietnam war offers huge potential for a game developer with the imagination to go beyond convention. The aircraft set alone would offer a lot of diverse game styles. FAC (slow and fast), SAM suppression, Electronic warfare, Gunships.... ets etc The potential is huge
rubblebeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #88
southernrebel

not to hijack this thread, just not sure where to go. but with the different a/c that are being made, wold a fauklens mape be considered to.
southernrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #89
rubblebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernrebel View Post
not to hijack this thread, just not sure where to go. but with the different a/c that are being made, wold a fauklens mape be considered to.
VEAO are going to do a Falkland islands map
rubblebeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #90
DeltaFox

I would love some more aircraft from the vietnam era, especially the OV-10 Bronco.
DeltaFox is offline   Reply With Quote