What happened to one pixel rule? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
BitMaster
Veteran

I have the benefit of living close to a large Nato Airbase and also next to a Training Area.

It depends a lot on the weather and humidity too, how far you can spot & track an airplane.

I'd say 5-7nm is about max I would agree to under optimal conditions. You may hear them going full AB but you still have to look and look even more to spot them.

On a clear cold night, it's a a lot easier to spot them, the worst might be a very hot and humid day.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #22
Strikeeagle345

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
Large fighters are visible just inside 7-8nm head-on, and that's not a 'look around and you'll spot them' sort of thing, you have to know where to look. That figure is from a USAF study - but don't quote me on it, I don't have it handy right now.
was referring to in game, as you can see the little black dots out to about that far out.

Modules:
F/A-18C | F-14 A/B (PREORDER) | F-5E | AV-8B | A-10C | P-51D | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Christen Eagle II | FC3

My DCS Youtube Videos
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #23
NineLine
Community Manager

One thing to remember as well that saying you can spot something at 5-7nm or whatever is not in every condition or situation. And then maintaining about holding visual lock is another thing while flying. Looking away for even a few seconds can make it very easy to lose a contact when they manoeuvring and you are as well. I think its a learned skill in many cases, and even more so in a sim/game.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #24
GGTharos
Veteran

The studies specify conditions, naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
One thing to remember as well that saying you can spot something at 5-7nm or whatever is not in every condition or situation. And then maintaining about holding visual lock is another thing while flying. Looking away for even a few seconds can make it very easy to lose a contact when they manoeuvring and you are as well. I think its a learned skill in many cases, and even more so in a sim/game.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote