New to this Forum with Questions - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Skunk Cabbage

Default New to this Forum with Questions

I am new to this Forum, and I am looking very close at purchasing DCS and Combined Arms. I am 67 years old. I have spent the last 6 years playing War Thunder. I have now concluded that War Thunder will never fix it's Realistic mode. A quick note to the DCS Developers: There are many people like myself who are looking for a War Thunder Realistic/ Simulator alternative. The demand for such software is there.

Due to my age and slower reflexes, I can never become a Jet Jockey. I do fly Xplane, and may be able to learn to fly a ground pounder. However, my main interest is in military strategic planning, the deployment of air and ground assets, the maneuvering of ground forces, and trying to figure out what the other side plans to do. Then counter those moves. Thus my interest in the Combined Arms Mission Editor.

Questions I am trying to find answers to:

1. Are there any future releases planned for Combined Arms? Is 2.0 it?

If not, I do not want to waste my time and money.

2. How large of a Mission can I make? Can I have 30-40 fighting air to air aircraft, another 50-60 attack aircraft, 40-50 Tanks, and 100's of other ground assets involved all at the same time, in the same single Mission? What's the limit?

3. Is there a detailed list of the different types of Ground Assets for Combined Arms? I read somewhere there are over 105-118 units. Where do I find a detailed list? What are they? Are they only Russian made?

There is a good chance that I may want to create in depth Missions for others. I used to be a Wildlife Cinematographer and I have extensive video editing experience.

Is the Combined Arms Mission Editor worth my time and investment?
Skunk Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
JLX

IMHO, the short answer is: No.

The potential of Combined Arms in DCS is huge! But, in it's current state that potential remains largely untapped. Persistant bugs and shortcomings make for a frustrating experience.

ED has previously stated that they "have big plans for Combined Arms". However, it seems other priorities have left the module neglected for ages. At this point, it is unclear if/when it will get the attention it needs.

You can read some other opinions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comm...estment_folks/
Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Rudel_chw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Cabbage View Post
... my main interest is in military strategic planning, the deployment of air and ground assets, the maneuvering of ground forces, and trying to figure out what the other side plans to do. Then counter those moves.

Hi, maybe you should take a look at more strategic simulators .. Command is one of the best .. here is a walktrough of one of its scenarios, if you want to take a look at how it is played:

Best regards
Rudel_chw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Skunk Cabbage

Thank you for the information. I have so many friends who are totally disillusioned with War Thunder and World of Tanks. We are starving for a realistic Tank Sim similar to Steel Beasts, but with great graphics. I thought DCS Combined Arms would give us what we want. I see there are very few individuals using this forum, and there are very few DCS Combined Arms videos on Youtube. That tells me something.

I like what I see in Combined Arms. Great concept, but poorly executed and some poor graphics. I have searched for information concerning the future of Combined Arms, and I have found little. That is very poor marketing on the part of Eagle Dynamics.

Command Live look's real interesting. However, I am looking for something that isn't all strategy, and has a few first person shooting opportunities, and great 3D ground vehicle graphics. Wow, Combined Arms would work if they fixed some of the ground mechanics and graphics. Eagle Dynamics is sure missing the boat with this one. In it's current state, I don't think I will be buying Combined Arms.

Last edited by Skunk Cabbage; 08-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
Skunk Cabbage

I don't want to be misunderstood. I am not looking for a Tank Sim. I am looking for a combined arms simulator. I still want to fly an aircraft. But, I also want the ability to control and even sit in ground vehicles.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Skitter

Quote:
The potential of Combined Arms in DCS is huge! But, in it's current state that potential remains largely untapped. Persistant bugs and shortcomings make for a frustrating experience.
Well said, pour this man some vodka!!
Skitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Goa

you should try arma2 or arma3 (with RHS mod)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xabIWz4sQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuKIKPH6KA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kuDvpIFWc4
  • CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+ 500GB Samsung 850 evo / GPU:Asus geforce strix O.C 1080TI / Monitor: Asus PG278QR 144HZ / Trackir 5 proclip/ TM Warthdog Hotas /TM TFFRP rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black
Goa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to be misunderstood. I am not looking for a Tank Sim. I am looking for a combined arms simulator. I still want to fly an aircraft. But, I also want the ability to control and even sit in ground vehicles.
At some point ED actually considered implementing a full fidelity tank module (specifically the M1 Abrams), but that didn't work out for unkown reasons (see here for some infos about it). I'm pretty confident though that at some point in the future we will actually get such a module in DCS.

Untill then we have to work with CA which was supposed to get a big overhaul called CA 2.0, but I don't know what the status is on that.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Skunk Cabbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
At some point ED actually considered implementing a full fidelity tank module (specifically the M1 Abrams), but that didn't work out for unkown reasons (see here for some infos about it). I'm pretty confident though that at some point in the future we will actually get such a module in DCS.

Untill then we have to work with CA which was supposed to get a big overhaul called CA 2.0, but I don't know what the status is on that.

I'll wait until the next release of Combined Arms and then look at it again. I have also been watching IL-2 Tank Crew. However, Tank Crew doesn't appear to be a true joint/combined arms. I believe Eagle Dynamics would be shocked if they knew how many people are out there looking for a quality joint combined arms platform.

As far as Arma, it's just another bang bang first person shooter. There is no real strategic planning. WOT, WT, Arma, Post Scrotum, are are arcade models were the person with the fastest eye and hand coordination wins. I am looking for a combined arms simulator that requires strategy and some brain power.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
As far as Arma, it's just another bang bang first person shooter. There is no real strategic planning. WOT, WT, Arma, Post Scrotum, are are arcade models were the person with the fastest eye and hand coordination wins. I am looking for a combined arms simulator that requires strategy and some brain power.
I have to partially disagree on that in regards to ArmA. There are many milsim units playing ArmA seriously with intensive planning phases and strategic (or rather operational or tactical) gameplay with an actual unit and command structure all the way up to company level. But you're right if you just play vanilla ArmA or on public servers.

Anyways, it's OT here.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 08-30-2018 at 02:51 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote