Hard time Dogfighting MiG-15, F-86 and M2000 - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 AM   #21
mytai01

Look on the internet for, "Art of the Kill" by Pete Bonani. It's an old video that was part of Falcon Gold game, but was very applicable to any air combat...

Last edited by mytai01; 08-13-2018 at 05:59 AM.
mytai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #22
Shadow KT

Ah, "Art of the Kill"...classic... That stache is legendary.

To all the people, who have an issue with how the MiG-15 flies, I would take a guess and say that you haven't flown it and/or haven't played against it in MP and just SP.

That behaviour would be down to the AI using SFM. In reality, unless you are a really experienced MiG-15 driver, you get easily overwhelmed by Sabres in MP

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #23
G-con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
Ah, "Art of the Kill"...classic... That stache is legendary.

To all the people, who have an issue with how the MiG-15 flies, I would take a guess and say that you haven't flown it and/or haven't played against it in MP and just SP.

That behaviour would be down to the AI using SFM. In reality, unless you are a really experienced MiG-15 driver, you get easily overwhelmed by Sabres in MP
so have I to assume that the flight model of Mig 15 AI is flawed in DCS?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #24
Schmidtfire

It is simplistic. They are using a much simpler flight model (to save cpu processing). AI don't loose energy like we do, they don't g-lock and can turn on a dime. If I follow an AI enemy in the vertical with the same entry speed, it would outrun me while I would stall and cook my engine (if it is a prop duel)

So we are always in a disadvantage in a dogfight. Only thing that makes up for it is the AI being somewhat stupid and predictable.

From what I know, ED are working on improving the AI. But no ETA.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #25
Shadow KT

This AI CPU hit really makes me twitch. Maybe I should open a thread about it and debunk this , AI using AFM will be too hard on the CPU.

Maybe, because of DCSs nature and how it uses cores, but we fly with up to 60 players online which all use AFM and are over a network which has a bigger CPU hit than any AI should have. Add on top of that ground units and SAM AI, so yeah...

I might be wrong, just the experience I've had, I would be happy to get proven wrong, at least I learn something new

Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
bolek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
Maybe, because of DCSs nature and how it uses cores, but we fly with up to 60 players online which all use AFM and are over a network which has a bigger CPU hit than any AI should have.
No, in MP each player's aircraft flight model runs on the client machine, not on the server. So the AFM by itself does not have CPU hit on the server.
bolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #27
vegue

The most difficult AI jets to dogfight against are MiG-15 and F-16 (<50% internal fuel)
vegue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #28
Shadow KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolek View Post
No, in MP each player's aircraft flight model runs on the client machine, not on the server. So the AFM by itself does not have CPU hit on the server.
Yeah and your computer has to calculate in real time where the enemy player is located and what his movements are, which are unpredictable unlike AI which is running on your own machine. Make a search about how CPU utilization in MP works.

Going #OFFTOPIC , sorry about that