Vive / Oculus - fit for purpose Part II?

kraszus

I made a post over a year ago re this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=163338.

A year on and am wondering has there been any improvement in the various VR devices re the ability to read gauges, instruments, digits, etc within the cockpit? Can you pick up ground vehicles in the TGP?

Would love a headset, but not if it means I don't have full functionality of the cockpit.

Well as far as Oculus and Vive, as they are both still on the same first generation of device nothing has really changed in this regard in the last 12 months. Other than systems and gpu's getting more powerful and able to increase the Pixel Density which helps somewhat.

Likely wont' see Generation 2 of these for at least another year or so. Last word from Oculus was around early 2019 for their next generation.

For me personally I love the Rift and would not go back to 2d gaming myself, even with the current shortcomings.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Kraszus, saw in the other thread about the zoom question and I recently got a Rift (the summer sale is a really good price even if it still is 1:st gen VR) and just want to mention that there now is a zoom feature in 1.57.

I tested it yesterday and it worked fine. All I want is that the zoom in speed as well as max zoom level can be tweaked to personal preference (editing some config files is OK for me), any one know?

• Like 1

I have a new rig and don't find dial readability to be an issue at all. I can very easily read all the major dials in all my cockpits and only use VR Zoom to check a few smaller dials lower down or some small instructions in the side of the cockpits but I used to do the same thing with my 1080P monitor. A description of clarity is I can easily read the N-S-E-W on the circular Spitfire compass but in order to read the individual degrees, I have to VR Zoom. I can read all the instruction tabs in the cockpit except the CARB FRESH AIR setting, have to VR Zoom to read the fin pint. Air Pressure gauge, voltage gauge, fuel gauge, etc.. no problem reading those. I move my head only slightly forward to see clearly read the instructions for setting the FLAPs but VR zoom isn't necessary. The issue that I would like to see improved upon is the visibility of air targets far away or defining ground targets against a similarly colored back ground. Hope this helps in your decision to go VR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-7700K CPU-Liquid Cooled, 32GB, GTX1080Ti, 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift CV1, All VR settings on high and 2.5 pixels

Edited by fiddlinjim
  • Like 1