Cockpit management in VR

Notso

A question for all you virtual fighter pilots out there using VR, how do you guys manage stuff like kneeboard cards, Freq cards, JTAC 9-lines, strike package info, DMPI target pics, etc?

Is there some way to see that stuff in the virtual cockpit, or do you just sneak a peek under the goggles when you need to look something up?

Thanks in advance.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Most of what you mentioned can be placed on your internal DCS kneeboard. Someone may place a link on how and where to put it. I cannot remember since I am not at the gaming computer. JTAC 9-lines, there is an option for that as well. If nobody beats me to it, I will look for the links.

I place all the mission specific information on the mission’s kneeboard, like this:

JYz4g1X.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I place all the mission specific information on the mission’s kneeboard, like this:

That's what I do too. To bring it up and page through it, I use my Xbox controller that came with my CV1. It sits happily next to my keyboard, and stays put when I interact with it. The Xbox controller is simple enough that I don't have to see where my fingers are to operate it.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

And this notepad can use Windows Speech Recognition for ninelines , etc .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229077

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

JYz4g1X.jpg

Wow, thanks.

I feel like an idiot! How do you get to that function???

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I recently discovered and have started using Kneeboard Builder.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129341

I use it to set a custom resolution for the kneeboard, along with size/aspect and position.

I have it where I can toggle on and off , and move through pages, with buttons on my HOTAS.

I have individual kneeboards created for Chuck's Hornet Guide, reflecting individual categories in his guide. I can move what I need for the area I am working on learning to the kneeboard as I go. Whatever I slide over to the " groups selected for custom kneeboard" section will show up in my kneeboard in the display.

I have included a screen shot of my kneeboard, along with the program's screenshot. Keep in mind the text is not as clear in this image as what I actually have in headset - it is very easily readable, and the aspect looks a little off from the screen shot.

I use the Cold Start checklist as I go through the startup procedure, very handy to have it there in my face. Never take the headset off or need to raise it up.

I am progressing through learning the Hornet now and will undoubtedly be using this more and more for learning DCS aircraft.

7fHRBx4.jpg

QhEsH18.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How do you get to that function???

The easiest way is to use the "Kneeboard Builder" Utility, the steps are as follows:

1) First, you need to write a Mission Briefing, I like to use MS Word for this as it can export the documento onto PDF:

PMwniE6.jpg

2) Then, you import the PDF onto Kneeboard Builder, selecting the aircraft that the Player will use, on this example it is a MiG-15. Once imported, you select which PDF files will comprise your Mission Kneeboard, then you click on the .MIZ button:

6MXD6Ui.jpg

Next, select the Mission’s .MIZ file and the utility will create a Kneeboard inside the mission.

xBwE4J0.jpg

3) What this does, is convert the PDF into images, one per page, and inserts them onto the mission file, like this:

7Yp5bqW.jpg

4) The finished kneeboard can then be seen on the mission, when seated on the plane. Unfortunately, it is at the end of the kneeboard, so to get to it quicker rather than page right it is better to page to the left:

iQ0UPq8.jpg

Give it a try.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Wow, very cool! Is the kneeboard builder included in the mission editor section, or is it a separate download?

It's a utility created by a DCS User: AlaskanGrizzly ... google for "Kneeboard Builder" and you should find it.

Big +1 for kneeboard builder.

I use a combination of voice attack and some shifted hotas commands to bring it up and scroll through it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's a utility created by a DCS User: AlaskanGrizzly ... google for "Kneeboard Builder" and you should find it.

Perfect, thank you!