When we will have first guided A/G weapon?

VDV

I assume you're playing on stable, just wait until you get the version the open beta is running - it's not functional or kinda working at all. Even on stable you can drop a lock with anything but the most gentle roll - f-pole/cranking requires flying like an octogenarian.

No, I have OB installed for normal, abd another version for development. dont see the point of having Stable installed as things that get broken are fixed quickly in OB

I agree since the last update, the A2A isnt that functional at all. I guess its a perspective thing, I am a ground pounder, so dont really car about A2A, others who are A2A focused probably dont care about ground pounding :) its all subjective i guess

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

No, I have OB installed for normal, abd another version for development. dont see the point of having Stable installed as things that get broken are fixed quickly in OB

I agree since the last update, the A2A isnt that functional at all. I guess its a perspective thing, I am a ground pounder, so dont really car about A2A, others who are A2A focused probably dont care about ground pounding :) its all subjective i guess

For me it's both I care about - if I want a great BVR fighter I can fly the Mirage/F-15/Su-27, if I want a great SEAD platform I can fly the Su25, if I want a great ground pounder I can fly the A-10C or the AV-8B. The whole point of the Hornet is that you don't have to choose which aircraft to fly, you just need the Hornet - it's a jack of all trades.

It's why I think they should get the AA stuff to a level where it's competitive against A2A threats before adding more AG options - that then gives the Hornet a reason to be the A2G platform of choice, especially when travelling into enemy territory with patrolling air defence fighters. I don't think we need everything either - having LTWS would probably get us on par with the Mirage and having MIDS/Link-16 would give the Hornet unparalleled situational awareness (and would help a great deal with plotting a safe course for an AG mission in enemy territory).

A/A will never be complete as long as the Vulcan shoots like a flower spayer. And having that fixed is the most fundamental thing for A/G. The M61's been like that since I sim ED products though... pinkiepieexcited.png

It's such an easy fix too... no idea why they haven't done this. This is the very definition of low hanging fruit for programmers.

Aside from just flying around and practicing sometimes with the A2A, I've pretty much put the Hornet in the hanger for now. Been putting more time back into the A-10C and F-15 in MP.

That said, I've found the Hornet, in it's current state, to be still pretty capable in A2A engagements if I play it safe.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the F-14 will change some of the dynamics in PvP play, especially if the F/A-18 can perform SEAD by that time.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Radar bugs aside, the Hornet is already on par with other fighters in DCS - not equal but on par. If you believe it’s not then no amount of systems or subsystems will make you a better pilot.

That's so true, which is why aircraft development stalled with the F5 - because who needs a radar that can hold lock through BVR manoeuvres, or the ability to IFF more than one thing at a time, or the ability to soft-lock a target so you don't announce your intentions from 50 miles away. Anyone bothering to pick an F-15 over the F-5 just isn't a good enough pilot obviously.

That's so true, which is why aircraft development stalled with the F5 - because who needs a radar that can hold lock through BVR manoeuvres, or the ability to IFF more than one thing at a time, or the ability to soft-lock a target so you don't announce your intentions from 50 miles away. Anyone bothering to pick an F-15 over the F-5 just isn't a good enough pilot obviously.

Awe, somebody had their feelings hurt.

A pilot will leverage their strengths and try to exploit the weaknesses of their adversary. Everything you mentioned can be overcome.

Maybe you should stick to game mode.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I think you took what Revelation meant way to the next level and out of context.

The systems in place now allows you to be still competitive when used correctly. It's nice to have more bells and whistles sure, not when you don't know how or when to use all those bells and whistles tho.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

For me it's both I care about - if I want a great BVR fighter I can fly the Mirage/F-15/Su-27, if I want a great SEAD platform I can fly the Su25, if I want a great ground pounder I can fly the A-10C or the AV-8B. The whole point of the Hornet is that you don't have to choose which aircraft to fly, you just need the Hornet - it's a jack of all trades.

It's why I think they should get the AA stuff to a level where it's competitive against A2A threats before adding more AG options - that then gives the Hornet a reason to be the A2G platform of choice, especially when travelling into enemy territory with patrolling air defence fighters. I don't think we need everything either - having LTWS would probably get us on par with the Mirage and having MIDS/Link-16 would give the Hornet unparalleled situational awareness (and would help a great deal with plotting a safe course for an AG mission in enemy territory).

Agreed. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Has anyone knows, is FA-18C can carry same weapons like the Super Hornet? Or FA-18E can carry more advanced weapons?

The c has fewer stations, same weapons!

Rhino has colour DDI/mfd.

Rhino has many more stored waypoints.

Rhino has more fuel....but is heavier!

Rhino has SAR Map, if you can model synthetic aperture radar ground mapping!

For a good read here is a Link article:

https://fightersweep.com/5334/ask-fighter-pilot-hornet-vs-super-hornet/

Both are air to air champions and bomb trucks!

Cheers.

Edited by Accipiter
Link

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

It's such an easy fix too... no idea why they haven't done this. This is the very definition of low hanging fruit for programmers.

I'd probably do that just before leaving the office, at least that's what I did when I was still in software development. Little things that don't take much time, but add lots of usability even though they're low on priority and maybe even if the customer didn't order it at all.

But after all, just changing the value there is easy, but probably ED's gonna consult their SMEs at the very least and double- or thrice-check things before rolling out changes. But I'd definately take it for the time being.

I'm hoping for the HARM to arrive soon as it's definately needed. Probably the LGBs will be the first ones though and I suspect we'll get a targeting pod before having Mavericks. I just really hope that they'll finally break up that 8nm laser range limit. This isn't Star Wars after all rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I understand the reasoning for A-A first, and I'm not complaining, but my personal opinion is that we need guided A-G ASAP. My reasoning is that we have flyable air superiority fighters for REDFOR and BLUFOR already. We also have CAS for both sides, interceptors, etc.

However, we don't have any true flyable strike aircraft yet for either side. Sure, you could use an A-10, Harrier, or Mirage as a Strike aircraft, but that's not what they were designed for. The Hornet had Strike as a part of its requirements from day one, as a true multirole aircraft.

I enjoy A-A, but the F-15s can handle that. There's no aircraft yet in sim that can put significant guided munitions on a ground target, and have the speed to defend itself, with the range capable of going deep into enemy territory.

Again, I'm not complaining, and I'm having a blast in the Hornet with A-A and limited A-G, but I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on some guided mud-moving munitions.

You should be real good at CCIP by the time we get guided bombs. Make the most of the time and get good at it. Practice makes perfect.

I'm already really good at CCIP. I've been flying the A-10c since about 2012-ish. It works and is quite accurate.

The problem is that due to threats and many other factors, a CCIP drop may not always be feasible in a realistic scenario. Sometimes you need to drop a GBU-16 or 31 from 25k+.

Strikes are doable now, but until we get guided A-G weapons, the Strikes we can do in the only true Strike-capable aircraft we have aren't really realistic.

I can wait, but I'm really missing some guided stuff.

I'm already really good at CCIP. I've been flying the A-10c since about 2012-ish. It works and is quite accurate.

The problem is that due to threats and many other factors, a CCIP drop may not always be feasible in a realistic scenario. Sometimes you need to drop a GBU-16 or 31 from 25k+.

Strikes are doable now, but until we get guided A-G weapons, the Strikes we can do in the only true Strike-capable aircraft we have aren't really realistic.

I can wait, but I'm really missing some guided stuff.

We're all waiting. Some of us are more patient than others. Like I already said earlier. It's early access and that means waiting for all the content.

Buzz

We're all waiting. Some of us are more patient than others. Like I already said earlier. It's early access and that means waiting for all the content.

I didn't mean to come off as impatient. My apologies if I have. I'm just saying that if would have made as much, if not more, sense if A-G was prioritized over A-A for the reasons I've listed.

Since they haven't, I'm not complaining. As I said in an above post, I'm having an absolute blast flying the Hornet and doing everything it's capable of so far. I meant to simply point out that prioritizing A-G would have been a viable way to go. I, like most of us, am patiently awaiting new updates.

I am with you on this one...

(...)

However, we don't have any true flyable strike aircraft yet for either side. Sure, you could use an A-10, Harrier, or Mirage as a Strike aircraft, but that's not what they were designed for. The Hornet had Strike as a part of its requirements from day one, as a true multirole aircraft.

I enjoy A-A, but the F-15s can handle that. There's no aircraft yet in sim that can put significant guided munitions on a ground target, and have the speed to defend itself, with the range capable of going deep into enemy territory. (...)

This is solid Jetguy06 - I am waiting for this too. Just learning the Bug - flying around, getting my landing AOA consistent - mastering pattern flying, level turns, some ACM manoeuvring, air refuelling and the main thing for the Navy Hornet - Cats & Traps.

That way I still enjoy this early access/beta without frustration about the radar, and other things not yet fully working or buggy.

And fear not, Wags confirmed that A2G is high on the to-do list and near:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3629425&postcount=78

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I didn't mean to come off as impatient. My apologies if I have. I'm just saying that if would have made as much, if not more, sense if A-G was prioritized over A-A for the reasons I've listed.

Since they haven't, I'm not complaining. As I said in an above post, I'm having an absolute blast flying the Hornet and doing everything it's capable of so far. I meant to simply point out that prioritizing A-G would have been a viable way to go. I, like most of us, am patiently awaiting new updates.

According to the poll, majority of people are more eager to get their hands on HARM and ATFLIR than have a complete A2A radar.

Fingers crossed for HARM this year! :)

ATFLIR

For using LGBs, when they become available, on the Hornet. Are there ground units that can Laze targets or will we likely have to rely on an A-10C with its TGP flying above to do that?

Once the new IR rendering system is done in DCS, we are going to get the ATFLIR afterwards.

We would still need the LST (Laser Spot Tracker) implemented to benefit from buddy lase.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta