Can not fly it smoothly

Borderline

Have you just started to fly the Gazelle or is this something that has changed?

If your new to the Gazelle cyclic sensitivity is somewhat pronounced compared to Mi8, Huey or BS also the cyclic is very centric in it's input.*

I have saturation at 90 and curvature at 8, the saturation reduces the sensitivity of the cyclic over all and the curvature further reduces the sensitivity over the center travel of the cyclic. keep in mind I have a home brew cyclic with about 20cm extension.

This seems fairly good but still results in responsive cyclic input for the Gazelle the other issue that I found especially for the Gazelle is it seems joysticks seem to have a deadspot built into them but this tends to make level flight more difficult as there is no change in control for small movements around the center of travel then all of a sudden you get input as you cross the dead zone. I changed the old controller out for a Leo Bodnar USB interface and that made a huge difference for the Gazelle.

If your new to the Gazelle and use a joystick try saturation down as low as say 30 X and Y and try to work your way back up as you get better. Also if your using a joystick stack a few books beside so you can support your hand, in fact supporting your hand will improve all helicopter flight.

* It is only because of the centric nature of the Gazelle's cyclic that I include curvature I don't recommend it for the other heli's that shift CG and therefore position of cyclic needs to be moved to balance the aircraft, but that is a whole other discussion.

More on use of joystick

Also force feedback controllers seem to not work very well with the Gazelle from what I have read.

But the good news is the Gazelle flies very well with practice.:thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
<typo's>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Have you just started to fly the Gazelle or is this something that has changed?

This seems fairly good but still results in responsive cyclic input for the Gazelle the other issue that I found especially for the Gazelle is it seems joysticks seem to have a deadspot built into them but this tends to make level flight more difficult as there is no change in control for small movements around the center of travel then all of a sudden you get input as you cross the dead zone. I changed the old controller out for a Leo Bodnar USB interface and that made a huge difference for the Gazelle.

That seems to be the problem, I am not new to it but I never fly that much and, from what I remember, it used to be a time where I did not have this problem. I`ll try your conf and see how it goes.

I`ve tried anything but still I can not fly the gazelle in a decent way. The control is all sticky and despite I`ve lost hours on the control setting I can not figure out a correct curve; I even tried to uninstall and reinstall but noting changed.

Turn off the force feedback, I did and now it's smooth again.

That seems to be the problem, I am not new to it but I never fly that much and, from what I remember, it used to be a time where I did not have this problem. I`ll try your conf and see how it goes.

Yes there have been some changes to the Gazelle, I find it mostly smooth :megalol:

Smooth like video here. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Damn VR looks amaazing;)

Yes it is, I get a much better sense of my position and better spacial awareness, gotta say when I first got Rift I took the Huey out it was amazing, then I took the Gazelle for a spin. I had to land it and have a break for a while. :music_whistling: But it's all good now. :thumbup:

Will you teach me the gazelle? :)

I don't know much but more then happy to help. ;)

Personaly I don't think setting up curves and saturations should be the way to go to make the Gazelle behave in flight. I fly all the other choppers with no curves or saturation at all and I am doing good this way.

I am not going to debate the flight model. I am sure Polychop did their homework on that subject. The problem with the Gazelle lies in the way the flight controls are done. The cyclic has that weird build-in deadzone giving it an on-off behaviour around the center. The collective is going up and down in steps instead of a smooth motion. This can all be judged by looking at the controls indicator.

Once these imperfections are being corrected we have one hell of a chopper without the need to mess with curves and stuff.

Edited by Razorback[NL]

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

;3624575']

Once these imperfections are being corrected we have one hell of a chopper without the need to mess with curves and stuff.

Not once but if... I am sorry but I have the gazelle from a while and it still has a lot of bugs and glitch. Wanna talk about the mini gun version? Tried today with a buddy and god it needs some good work as well as others.

;3624575']Personaly I don't think setting up curves and saturations should be the way to go to make the Gazelle behave in flight. I fly all the other choppers with no curves or saturation at all and I am doing good this way.

I am not going to debate the flight model. I am sure Polychop did their homework on that subject. The problem with the Gazelle lies in the way the flight controls are done. The cyclic has that weird build-in deadzone giving it an on-off behaviour around the center. The collective is going up and down in steps instead of a smooth motion. This can all be judged by looking at the controls indicator.

I found that in my case the logitech 3D pro controller actually had a built in dead zone, which makes sense for a joystick with a mechanical center detent. However since changing to a Leo Bodnar USB interface I have no dead spot just smooth cyclic input.

The choice of saturation is I guess a personal one as well as in the case of the Gazelle the use of curvature which only makes sense given that the Gazelle cyclic is totally centric I.E. no shift for change in CG. It's just with a joystick you have such a short throw reducing saturation can help. I used to fly the Gazelle with a joystick no saturation it's doable but a tad uncomfortable on the wrist.

More on Gazelle and joystick controller here.

Interestingly with a home built cyclic and collective and applying some curves the feel as in sensitivity of the cyclic is about that of an R44.

More on that build here and soon I'll add the anti torque pedals I'm working on. :thumbup:

As for the collective it seems fairly analogue to me I.E. not a stepped response perhaps it's the resolution of the A to D converter in your controller or something?

As I said curvature does not make sense for the Huey and Mi8 and KA50 as their CG shifts the balance point and you need to react accordingly by shifting the position of the cyclic depending on load out fuel and the manoeuvre your doing. However saturation may help for an individual, after all no helicopter in DCS actually has a joystick for flight control right? :joystick:

Well I`ll need to practice some fly and form fly so if we are able to meet up on AO that would be cool.

Sure that is on of my regular servers very experienced at crashing on that one. :thumbup::D

Do you have TeamSpeak?