Those Overwing Vapes...

doldi1989web.de

It looks nice, though maybe its too "blurry", but imho these are not overwing vapours but more the vapour generated behind the lerx, over the joint between wings and body, at extreme alpha and only when there is a very humid ambient, like this:

FA-18F_vapor_over_wings_1.jpg

...with overwing vapour I expected something like this:

a81e0fcc7685c3c50327a51f17b3d479.jpg

A more "close to the surfaces" effect.

Maybe its not yet finished, I hope so...the effect on the lex looks better imo. Anyway, keep up the good job!!:)

Take a look at my MODS here

lex vapes should happen at lower g's than wing vapes, and should occur more often than they do currently, but the effect looks outstanding!

Agree.

I noticed that contrais are larger that previous update.

Not sure if they are larger but they are MUCH thinner, thats for sure (it would be nice to have some kind of variable thickness on them btw)...also the behaviour has been improved such as when rolling the plane, which made them make unrealistic curves...however, they are still behaving like this, just its less evident but the problem is still there.

A thing thats been fixed is that the trails in the Hornet are no longer angled outwards, which was incorrect, now they are paralel or slightly inwards as it should.

Take a look at my MODS here

and very much like the wing vortex, you can sometimes see the vapour when parked on the deck

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

and very much like the wing vortex, you can sometimes see the vapour when parked on the deck

I have a mission set up, 22 knot carrier speed, 24mph winds going alllmost straight across the deck. Cold and dark, I've got wingtip vortex and the overwing vapes. It's kinda hilarious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a mission set up, 22 knot carrier speed, 24mph winds going alllmost straight across the deck. Cold and dark, I've got wingtip vortex and the overwing vapes. It's kinda hilarious.

I'm gettin 'em on a 26kt carrier with no wind

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

These effects are very much a WIP and will vary greatly once the humidity element of the weather model is added.

Thats great to hear it's beeing worked on! Same goes for inlet icing even when no visibile moisture is around

Amazing work the folks are doing.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

IIRC vapor is a function of AoA and humidity (or was it dew point?), not airspeed. In the right conditions it could (and probably does) happen at 80kts.

That sounds odd to me (although I am nothing but a layman here). For AoA to have any relevance, the air needs to move over the (angled) a/c surfaces - to cause local areas of low pressure, right?

Did a Google search to check and found discussions on airliners.net:

High AoA --> drop in pressure over the wing = drop in temperature over the wing --> temperature drops below dew point = vapor

The air over a wing is already in a constant state of low pressure because the airflow is slower than that of the airflow below it. High AoA reduces that airflow over the top even more, and drops the pressure (I think).

Even airliners can get over wing vapes on takeoff and landing.