South Atlantic Theatre aircraft and equipment. - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #121
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
If you put Argentine Mainland, can be put a "Ascension" island to deploy Vulcans, Victor tankers and Nimrod naval patrol crafts at same distance? Plans to simulate austral winter conditions?
I would bet that weather engine is still ED’s job.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #122
Mig Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
If you put Argentine Mainland, can be put a "Ascension" island to deploy Vulcans, Victor tankers and Nimrod naval patrol crafts at same distance? Plans to simulate austral winter conditions?
It is 6.300km far from falkland, you will never get there.
Mig Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #123
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Fulcrum View Post
It is 6.300km far from falkland, you will never get there.

Tirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #124
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
That's not the point. No DCS map is so big.
And who will spend a full day to fly a Vulcan from Ascension to Falklands ?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #125
cordite

Agreed, but I still hope they add an AI Vulcan to simulate that.
cordite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #126
NaCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
NATO war stocks? I thought they were supplied directly from the USA bilaterally. That's at least what the harrier squadron commander aboard the HMS Invincible Nigel "Sharkey" Ward said in his book "Sea Harrier over the Falklands". There was no word on NATO war stocks.

This is confirmed by Nigle Ward and multiple sources. No NATO war stocks. It was the latest coming from USA.
Also the ACM was with superior F15-F16 not with French Mirage III going down to the conflict.

Extract from the book:

"MOD Sea Harrier desk I knew that the latest version of missile, the AIM-9L, was already on order for the Sea Harrier community from the United States.

MacCartan-Ward, Nigel. Sea Harrier over the Falklands: The Black Death (Kindle Locations 709-710). Pen & Sword. Kindle Edition.
"

"I picked up the phone and called the Fixed Wing (Jet) desk officer of the Flag Officer, Carriers and Amphibious Ships (FOCAS) at Portsmouth. Tim Gedge had recently left the Sea Harrier world to work for the Admiral and it was he who received the call. 'Hello, Sharkey! What can I do for you?' 'A couple of things, actually, Tim! Can you please get on to the MOD and ask them to provide us with war-paint to hide the white belly of the SHAR? And also please ask them to expedite the order of AIM-9L missiles from the States. I think you know why I'm asking: it's very urgent and it will pay great dividends if we can get this organised quickly. OK?’ 'Fine, Sharkey. We'll get on to that straight away.' And he put the phone down.

MacCartan-Ward, Nigel. Sea Harrier over the Falklands: The Black Death (Kindle Locations 713-71. Pen & Sword. Kindle Edition.
"

"Several of us have fought against the A-4 and you have flown it. Some of us have fought with the French Etendard squadrons and we are already experts on the air-launched Exocet. We know the quality and performance of the air-to-air missiles that might face us and so the only real shortage of intelligence that we suffer from is performance data on the Mirage III and V. Even there, you have had a ride in an Aussie Mirage III

MacCartan-Ward, Nigel. Sea Harrier over the Falklands: The Black Death (Kindle Locations 1492-1495). Pen & Sword. Kindle Edition. "

"None has flown against the F-15, F-5E, F-16, as we have, and those fighters will all knock spots off a Mirage III - and you will remember that we have easily held our own against those top jets. So, in my view, the report isn't worth the paper it's written on.'

MacCartan-Ward, Nigel. Sea Harrier over the Falklands: The Black Death (Kindle Locations 2544-2546). Pen & Sword. Kindle Edition. "

Last edited by NaCH; 09-18-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Add more data
NaCH is offline   Reply With Quote