Unofficial VFR ground textures for Caucasus map debriefings in Tacview

Vyrtuoz

I’m working hard to release the first beta of Tacview 1.5 as soon as possible. Meanwhile I have compiled some VFR ground textures for the Caucasus map.

The package can be downloaded from the add-on page: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/download/addons/

All the jpg files have to be installed in

C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures\

Because of the way DCS World is handling spherical coordinates, the result is not 100% accurate. However, they still provide pretty good landmarks to better understand your favorite Caucasus battlefield.

Feel free to apply any change you want and to use these as an inspiration for your own custom textures!

(picture taken during one of my flights on the Open Conflict server http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145886)

723151518183002112.jpg

Edited by Vyrtuoz
tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

Thanks for these, it's also great for checking NDB (IFR) flights.

Here, I've incorrectly used the ME ruler bearing of 273° (from Maykop) and should have planned and flown 277° (273+4) TRUE to pickup Smolenskaya NDB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=139168&stc=1&d=1461332109

attachment.php?attachmentid=139169&stc=1&d=1461334529

I'd add a couple of .jpg's to cover Stravropol-Shpakovskoe NDB north-west of Mineralnnye Vody but otherwise, it's perfect.

Will we be able to select/disable custom textures in Tacview, as sometimes it's hard to see static objects (ILS paths), aircraft height, etc. against a colourful/complex back ground.

And the best texture for a flight's analysis is situational?

Edit:

For that region of the Caucuses map

ISO / TRUE = F10 map + 4°

MAGNETIC = F10 map - 2°

APPROACH TRUE = F10 map

DCS L-39, 1.5.3

TacView_L-39_VFR-NDB_flight.thumb.JPG.d3cdc5ec81e7adfa48f88dd30ff27cf6.JPG

Screen_160422_151314.thumb.jpg.3f22ccfb8b5abdc2f1771f4948b8452d.jpg

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

@Ghostraider

When Tacview 1.5 will be ready, it will be easy to add new data exporter. Like a KML file exporter so you can “review” your flight within Google Earth for example. Better than that: in a future release I will add a capability to display OpenStreet terrain/satellite textures directly within Tacview.

@gunterlund21

You need Tacview 1.4.3 to see custom textures. The possible path are documented online http://tacview.strasoftware.com/documentation/terrain/#q11

@Ramsay

I choose these textures, because I like the landmarks provided and - to me - they give the less cultured results. That said, I’m still looking for the best way to display the same kind of information without conflicting with other objects.

I have tried with Google satellite or Terrain textures, but the results were too cluttered to be readable during my experiments.

@ALL

I encourage everyone to experiment and add some post process to them (like gray scale or other kind of colors filters) to see which ones gives you the best results.

Please let me know, if anyone find an elegant way to display all these data in a clear way. I will gladly modify Tacview to incorporate the idea so we get the best result possible on screen.

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png