[NO BUG-SEAT POSITION] HUD display too large after update

shootar401

After updating a few weeks ago the HUD display is zoomed in, it seemed to double in size from the last update. The cockpit and all other UI items are correct. I now need to duck down inside the cockpit to read the upper portion of the HUD as well as move my head around both using VR and TrackIR to see anything but the very center portion of the HUD.

Is this a bug or setting?

Mmm, everything is normal here, latest stable version.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

In VR, the HUD has been off since they pushed the default pilot viewpoint back from the original "sat on top of the joystick position".

When sat in that new position, the pilot cannot see the whole height of the HUD, without adjusting the seating position or craning their neck.

This has been reported elsewhere on the forum, in a number of threads, but I guess that it has yet to reach the top of the list of priorities, if it ever will.

+1 to the posts that say you're sitting too far back.

Check out my post in this thread to get your default view position adjusted and permanently saved.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194985&page=2

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The position for being able to see the full HUD puts the pilot too far forward to be realistic, hence ED's update to move it back. What they apparently didn't do when doing that was to rescale the HUD.

If you move yourself forward again, in VR, as before the updated position, you have to turn your head a long way round to access the controls, for things like the ILS and intercom

It feels about right to me, except for the side consoles like you mentioned. Not sure if that's because your position in the cockpit isn't right though. In the real thing, we'd be operating a lot of things mostly by touch. When we had to look at something, such as tuning a radio, we would be able to use our eye movement much more than what is possible in a VR HMD. I think if they made it so you could adjust the HUD glass, that would fix a lot of problems people are having.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I can agree with your point about the headset not allowing a realistic flexibility of eye movement, but the pilots would need to have elbows that bend the wrong way and not have a problem with sitting on the joystick if that were a realistic flying position :)

That's weird. When I have my view position set to see the whole HUD, the VR stick is pretty much right where my actual stick is, about a foot from my chest. I just have to make a couple of adjustments to the shelf I have my throttle mounted to. Its a little too low and a little too far forward.

and you can see the top of the HUD and the bottom of the HUD from the same position, without craning your neck?

edit: and when you look round at your seat's headrest, it doesn't look about 3 feet away?

Never mind, having read through this apparently identical thread, http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthread.php?t=190225, it would appear that it went the same way as this one appears to be going, with some being happy with the default pilot position and HUD scaling and others not so much so.

In the absence of a view from a RL A10 pilot, i guess we will never know which camp is correct. Ergonomically however, something does seem wrong in expecting the pilot to either sit away from the back of his/her seat or to have to move his/her head significantly to gather all of the HUD information that would feed into split second decision making.

Edited by Greyman

Yup. I can see the whole thing, top to bottom. The headrest appears to be about where it should be. The default view position actually seems to have the back of your head slightly buried in the headrest.

Its been quite a few years since I sat in an A-10A, but even as a 16 year old kid, I remember feeling like the cockpit was awfully cramped. I remember hoping I wouldn't get too much taller so I could eventually fly one.

Not that its the same jet, but I was recently in the cockpit of an L-39, and getting to some of the switches in the side consoles required a lot of twisting, and I would actually find myself reaching across with my opposite arm to operate some of them. The stick was pretty much right in your lap, with the instrument panel being really close to you as well.

Here's a description of what i can see when i load the "Take Off and Basic Handling" training mission, recentre my headset and sit upright, which puts my head about where i would expect it to be, relative to the headrest. It also puts the controls to the extreme left and right of the cockpit within easy reach.

The heading tape of the HUD sits right at the bottom of the display, with the -15 degree line and "STPT" only just visible in the bottom left, which is probably where it should be. At the top, however, all i can see is the 5 degree nose down pitch line. To see the zero degree pitch line, i need to lean forward quite a way and raise my eyes to see it, along with the flight vector.

If you can see both the heading tape at the bottom of the HUD and at least the flight vector at the top, then i'd really appreciate it if you would share your settings.

I have a Rift too and have set the standard VR settings, although i have tinkered a little with the forced IPD setting, that doesn't appear to make any difference to the amount of the HUD information that i can see.

Edited by Greyman

Greyman, maybe the best way to make sure we're on the same page is if I send you my SnapViews.lua file. That should put you in exactly the same position in the cockpit as where I have mine set. My PID is set at 70, but like you said, that doesn't really have much effect on how much of the HUD info you can see.

Given the title update we can draw some conclusions.

A-10 pilots all have giraffe like mutations and deformed spines.

This does not seem to be the case. (Observe picture)

A more resonable conclusion then would be that with your head in the correct position you cannot see the whole HUD in the real aircraft.

ed4b0042bae21bb8239348f01b56dd6b.jpg

That would be useful and appreciated

Send me a PM with your e-mail address in it and I'll get that over to you.

i've had a play with those keyboard commands that change the pilot's viewpoint in the cockpit and all they appear to do is to reverse the change that ED applied, a few patches ago, to put the pilot in a more realistic position. Although that position does perhaps put your helmeted head a little too far back and too close to the headrest, to get to a position where you can see the whole of the HUD puts you way too far forward. So much so that it looks like you could get another pilot in there.

I was hoping that changing the FOV or the two angle settings in the snapviews file might be of use, but editing those does not appear to make any difference at all to the scale of the HUD, at least not in VR.

I'll stick to the default view i think. Thanks for the offer though @eaglecash867

No problem, Greyman. The changes ED made did correct the problem of being way too close to the panel, but they ended up putting you too far back. If I sat down in an aircraft and the panel, stick, and rudder pedals were at the limits of my reach like they are in the default position in DCS, I wouldn't taxi the plane, let alone try to fly it. It really does come down to two camps though, just like you were saying earlier. If they made it so we could adjust the calibration on the HUD, I think that would make everybody happy. :)

With my tendency to want to buy every module, including the choppers, I am really spoilt for choice, but the A10C, my first payware module, is the one that I keep coming back to.

I probably shouldn't say this, but with this being my only real niggle, it would probably save me a lot of money, on future releases, if it were to be sorted.

I like your suggested solution and I hope that ED do too.