Stutters in game

Toto

Hello. I have had in depth discussions with different extremely knowledgeable people about this stuttering problem that people seem to experience in DCS. I don't have it but I have friends that use DCS that do have it and its driving them crazy. As we all know it could be multiple things like RAM, SSD, HDD, VIDEO CARD etc etc, the list can go on forever.

Ok when you ask them questions about there systems, and the problems they are experiencing it seems this problem does not occur in other GAMES or in other programs like Microsoft Office or surfing the internet which proves to me there is no hardware failure, or anything wrong with there computers otherwise the stuttering would occur all the time this ONLY SEEMS TO HAPPENS WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING DCS.

Here is what you do!!!! run your task manager and see what other programs are running in the back ground that make calls on your CPU WHILE RUNNING DCS. DCS is quite taxing on your computer and who know what the hell is happening inside your computer when you are playing DCS For example a a Turbo Fan program or something that you have forgotten about in your BOIS might kick on cause your CPU is heating up etc etc could be many many things START happening while playing DCS in the background.

This is where I would look first and if you don't know how to do this take your system to a computer store and ask them to do it. DCS is not broken!!! yes it has its problems but I know to many people that use DSC that do not have these problems.

Just my 2 cents worth on the whole stuttering business problem...………..Toto...……..out :pilotfly:

Hello. I have had in depth discussions with different extremely knowledgeable people about this stuttering problem that people seem to experience in DCS. I don't have it but I have friends that use DCS that do have it and its driving them crazy. As we all know it could be multiple things like RAM, SSD, HDD, VIDEO CARD etc etc, the list can go on forever.

Ok when you ask them questions about there systems, and the problems they are experiencing it seems this problem does not occur in other GAMES or in other programs like Microsoft Office or surfing the internet which proves to me there is no hardware failure, or anything wrong with there computers otherwise the stuttering would occur all the time this ONLY SEEMS TO HAPPENS WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING DCS.

Here is what you do!!!! run your task manager and see what other programs are running in the back ground that make calls on your CPU WHILE RUNNING DCS. DCS is quite taxing on your computer and who know what the hell is happening inside your computer when you are playing DCS For example a a Turbo Fan program or something that you have forgotten about in your BOIS might kick on cause your CPU is heating up etc etc could be many many things START happening while playing DCS in the background.

This is where I would look first and if you don't know how to do this take your system to a computer store and ask them to do it. DCS is not broken!!! yes it has its problems but I know to many people that use DSC that do not have these problems.

Just my 2 cents worth on the whole stuttering business problem...………..Toto...……..out :pilotfly:

the only probllem in my opinion is that the game is poorly optimized if compared to other games.

Microsoft office and web surfing has nothing to do with gaming and dcs...

Most of us , including myself are running high-end systems which has no problems at all in other games, moroevoer we are not "noobs" meaning that we assemble computer, tweaks OS, overclocksystme, and we know how to monitor,update drivers, observe DPC latency, and stuff like that from more than 20 years.

DCS always had problems with stuttering and fps issues since it's existance, it is not related to our machines, it is related to the game engine which is imy opinion too "heavy" even for the fastest hardware, there are a few guys who posted about stutter problems here having high-end intel cpu of 1000 USD + plust nvidia titanx, plus 32 gb fast ram.

We will hopefully see some improvments as soon as VULKAN will be ready for DCS in the next months.

Morover the problem itself is DEFERED SHADING which is not compatible with MSAA causing a huge fps loss even on high-end rigs.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I've also experienced problems with stutters (with diff.sim/game) and came to a similar opinion.

It's not a problem of hardware, hardware is concerned when you have fps performances related problems, and this is solved by better hardware or lower settings.

Stutters are a software issue, from the game/sim you are running or caused by a background software. Stutters are not fps getting lower, they are fps just stopping for a momment (very short or longer) because in sim stuff has to be loaded for cpu/gpu to continue working (in this case Nvme vs Ssd vs Hdrive can reduce problem), or external software interrupt cpu/gpu work for some kind of Reason.

At a time monitoring gpu power with afterburner was causing sever stutters.

When DCS nevada was at 2.1 / 2.2 version I had (having a focused eye on it) zero stutters. With 2.5.0 iirc there was also no stutters. (but I Didn't make record of it)

Actually with DCS there are, to me, just some fiew very short stutters (in a 30mn mission I only have 4 or 5 little dents with capped fps that are not related to a usage topping 99/100%, because when you have a fps cap and you're able to reach this fps limit your cpu/gpu are never at 100%, and when cpu/gpu reach 100% you loose fps from your cap aim, f.e. fps going below 60 fps if you have a 60Hz vsync).

I'm attributing these stutters to engine already evolving with vulkan usage aim (zero vulkan usage actually, 100% dx11, but engine already evolving).

So for these little stutters we have nothing to do, just wait for engine changes and new Api to accomplish.

But if you have strong stutters (stronger than what I describe?) it can surely be an external software causing it. Using a routine/software that stop unnecessary process in background before playing DCS can be a good help. (at a time, Gforce experience was causing me big troubles in several apps like DCS, but nvidia solved that issue).

Stutter can be caused by many things, be fair & real.

Logic tells me, that if it only was the code, we must all have it, but we do not.

On some 5G-ti-32GB rigs it plays nice and on others it don't, for whatever

reason but it is for sure not to be found in the one common part in this mysterium that they all share, the code of DCS alone.

If that was true, each and everybody had stutter with similar spec rigs and even more with lesser systems, but there are lesser systems that run flawless. This doesnt sound like it, to me it tells me it's either Bios/Firmware related or setup/OS/software specific...and each machine differs greatly in that segment, that's when 5G-ti-32GB literally mean nothing cause you dont know how "it" is configured. There are well maintained systems on unlucky rigs = stutter, there are so-lala maintained systems on lucky firmware and parts = smile, there is any possible combination out there, from Ultra-Noob to software developers and admins that usually know their way around, usually, not always, actually, just often enough to carry the name. If it all was that simple it'D all just plain work...and it doesn't for many, for many reasons.

Just that stutter, aka crippled throughput somewhere in your lanes, is a very common reaction of games to such not-so-lucky scenarios.

If I had stutter I'd blank my rig and start SMALL&SLEAK, only what it needs, clean drivers and check. Have the right hardware, have some extra to change parts like monitor, cables, GPU, PSU and maybe more RAM if you run 16GB only.

Make a L A R G E PageFile, I mean LAAARRRGGGE. I have had 31.5GB swap tonight, out of 32GB, gonna give it 48GB later tonight. RAM was 16000MB !

FA18 online that was. Lots of warp tho...LoL...I only watched for hours and had the plane spooled up on the ramp...after some hours you exceed 30GB swap, lemme tell you...havent even taken off. !!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I don't understand is, flying the exactly same mission, sometimes there is no stutter at all and then, the same mission it stutters like crazy

And changing the graphic setting does not change anything. And this is with the Su-25T if it matters

Marc..

Edited by Marcq

This week I got a new 4k screen and the game was tested over and over with all kinds of settings, resolutions, nvidia tweaking, different missions, task manager on and off, gpu software on and off, nothing in the background, just DCS. Vsync on and off, fullscreen yes and no, latest windows update, latest DCS update. I have a clean system that only runs DCS on a SSD and OS on another SSD, 8700k, 32 GB Ram at 3200 and on top a 1080ti. I can honestly say:

Advising 32GB ram or upgrading CPU or GPU to people with less money to spend is absolute madness, it will NOT help !!! It will not run like other titles, this game remains a mystery.

Right now I spend more time trying to fix the issues with DCS than enjoying my flight time.

In all honesty, right now I am very very disappointed with my purchases. Not keen on another module. Even Matt Wagners Vids stutter ...

This week I got a new 4k screen and the game was tested over and over with all kinds of settings, resolutions, nvidia tweaking, different missions, task manager on and off, gpu software on and off, nothing in the background, just DCS. Vsync on and off, fullscreen yes and no, latest windows update, latest DCS update. I have a clean system that only runs DCS on a SSD and OS on another SSD, 8700k, 32 GB Ram at 3200 and on top a 1080ti. I can honestly say:

Advising 32GB ram or upgrading CPU or GPU to people with less money to spend is absolute madness, it will NOT help !!! It will not run like other titles, this game remains a mystery.

Right now I spend more time trying to fix the issues with DCS than enjoying my flight time.

In all honesty, right now I am very very disappointed with my purchases. Not keen on another module. Even Matt Wagners Vids stutter ...

do youselfe a quick test if you are using trackir : pause trackir and use your kebord numpad to move around the cocpit, left/right and watch out the cockpit , voitlà there is 0 stuttering.

The stuttering you are seing is caused by trackir.

Ttha's a fact.;)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I do not think the 32GB is a bad investment.

Down the road they will show their benfits.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have a lot of trouble with micro-stutters and freezing in DCS. Even with the system specs below.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have a lot of trouble with micro-stutters and freezing in DCS. Even with the system specs below.

Where is your swapfile located and how large is it ?

I recommend another drive than DCS and if possible, SSD and also not OS drive.

Guys, please Help me!After a year I have purchased a new PC- Laptop, and I can run my beloved sim. After loading all of torrents, updates, modules which I have bough I have starterd my first fly in A-10. After a few minutes I must stop DCS. The stutters kills that sim! Year ago in my low end rig I can fly everywhere on deck of everything in DCS with decent graphic setup, now in the way better PC I can't fly! M I missing something? What destroys this sim? Is there any solution or I must give up with DCS? Help me, how can I fly now?

@ Intel i5-7300HQ 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 2GB of VRAM (Lenovo Legion)

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Let’s not starti stating systems requirements, this problem, which is experienced by people with the most powerful hardware, is nothing to do with inadequate systems. This is a fault in the software. For myself I had no problems until about three months ago. Since then it has come and gone as the most monumental pain in the butt. In my case, and in many iof yours, you are talking about a considerable amount of financial outlay. It has been for me my best performing flight simulator but something happened all those weeks back and ever since ...well, you know the rest. I have tried communicating with the developers. I don’t have to know tha there is a fix, but it would be nice to know that they are working on the matter and what avenue of ideas they are looking down. Unfortunately they don’t seem to want to speak to me any more.

• 2 months later...

Do they speak to anybody ? I mean DCS is the only game I know with these huge stutter problems even on a high end rig. I stopped buying aircrafts for now, and my advice for new DCS players is just to use the free base game. You get the best map and two lovely planes.

The TF 51 and Caucasus map for zero dollars ... Whats not to like.

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

I think ED should further clarify that these setting are for 1080p screen resolution. My monitor is 1440p and even with my system, the HIGH graphics settings will drop my FPS below 60.

Let’s not starti stating systems requirements, this problem, which is experienced by people with the most powerful hardware, is nothing to do with inadequate systems. This is a fault in the software. For myself I had no problems until about three months ago. Since then it has come and gone as the most monumental pain in the butt. In my case, and in many iof yours, you are talking about a considerable amount of financial outlay. It has been for me my best performing flight simulator but something happened all those weeks back and ever since ...well, you know the rest. I have tried communicating with the developers. I don’t have to know tha there is a fix, but it would be nice to know that they are working on the matter and what avenue of ideas they are looking down. Unfortunately they don’t seem to want to speak to me any more.

While certain PC hardware can help alleviate performance issues, I agree that even the highest end systems continue to see stutters and performance issues. The last few updates seem to have made this even worse. What I have done which seems to help, is that I lock my FPS to 60 which has made things perform better overall. For me, what this does is prevent my CPU and GPU load from running high and/or hitting 100%. It also matches the TrackIR refresh rate which helps to alleviate micro stutters when looking around. I continue to get the occasional stutter, especially with weapons hits and effects but things are running much smoother overall.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I've been very happy for months now with how smoothly my modest system is running Stable . I also feel that

limiting frames to Vsync helps to eliminate stutters and confers TiR benefits . Pagefile on SSD helps as well .

I also had the same experience with a 1060 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

True, but this is the thing that bugs me the most. We reach almost the year 2019, 1080p, 60 fps is not what we should talk about. I get constant fps way over 100 in DCS with 1440p, all settings maxed out except msaa 2x and ss off. Microstutters thought together with some random freeze burst that DCS is known for. We have Gsync, 4k, TrackIR, VR ... The game has to work with these technics.

In DCS the frames are totally inconsistent, jumps, hickups, microstutter, short freezes, you name it ...

Tbh, I share the TiR5 stutter at Non-60fps but I dont have thos eother symptoms like perm. stutte ror micro-stutter. That devil is buried deep in the system I am afraid, some have it, some do not.

I think, personal, this micro stutter is a Bios UEFI Firmware thing and the ones to blame are Intel and every company who has to work with their stuff.

If it was the code we had more players with it, it's just that it actually does run great on some machines and doesn't on others with same spec's in general. So, if you ask me, it's not the code to blame, the code just triggers

things in your system that some systems just cannot compute without noticable interruptions. Hard to put in words. Just a feeling I have, a sense you culd call it. I might be totally wrong tho.

Tbh, I share the TiR5 stutter at Non-60fps but I dont have thos eother symptoms like perm. stutte ror micro-stutter. That devil is buried deep in the system I am afraid, some have it, some do not.

I think, personal, this micro stutter is a Bios UEFI Firmware thing and the ones to blame are Intel and every company who has to work with their stuff.

If it was the code we had more players with it, it's just that it actually does run great on some machines and doesn't on others with same spec's in general. So, if you ask me, it's not the code to blame, the code just triggers

things in your system that some systems just cannot compute without noticable interruptions. Hard to put in words. Just a feeling I have, a sense you culd call it. I might be totally wrong tho.

I don´t agree - it must be the code...

Why else does every other game / application I have run butter smooth ?

I got both First person Shooters, Racing sims and most flightsims worth owing and all runs smooth, even with "just" 8GB RAM.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

True, but this is the thing that bugs me the most. We reach almost the year 2019, 1080p, 60 fps is not what we should talk about. I get constant fps way over 100 in DCS with 1440p, all settings maxed out except msaa 2x and ss off. Microstutters thought together with some random freeze burst that DCS is known for. We have Gsync, 4k, TrackIR, VR ... The game has to work with these technics.

In DCS the frames are totally inconsistent, jumps, hickups, microstutter, short freezes, you name it ...

Constant FPS over 100 at 1440p!? What are your system specs?

With my specs and MSAA 2x and shadows turned down, my FPS will drop to near 60 over populated areas. Sitting on the runway at Nellis in the Hornet, my FPS drops to 65 when I look towards static aircraft I have on the ramp. Sure, my FPS will go well above 100 in the open desert or ocean but nothing constant because it drops significantly as soon as I approach or looks towards populated areas.

However, I now lock my FPS at 60 for better overall performance and smoothness and no longer look at FPS except for testing purposes.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

1080 ti, 8700k, 32gb, 2x ssd, etc etc

I sure get frame drops like you at certain scenes like trees, las vegas, clouds but those things are normal and we can deal with it by adjusting our settings. I and lots of other customers have weird terrain stutter, hickups, some say short freezes. And these are not trackable and must be game code related. There is no cure for it as of now and furtunately or unfortunately all other games I know of behave normal.

I don´t agree - it must be the code...

Why else does every other game / application I have run butter smooth ?

I got both First person Shooters, Racing sims and most flightsims worth owing and all runs smooth, even with "just" 8GB RAM.

Yep.

Don't be gas-lighted into believing it's your fault that DCS stutters and pauses and if you only spend another $300 it will be okay.

Edited by Lixma 06

Just a thought. Is there a relation between stutter and modules? Do some modules stutter more or less than other modules? I sometimes have the feeling that Hornet and Harrier produce more stutter than say the Mustang. But that is just a feeling, very subjective. Wouldn't know how to measure it objectively.

1080 ti, 8700k, 32gb, 2x ssd, etc etc

I sure get frame drops like you at certain scenes like trees, las vegas, clouds but those things are normal and we can deal with it by adjusting our settings. I and lots of other customers have weird terrain stutter, hickups, some say short freezes. And these are not trackable and must be game code related. There is no cure for it as of now and furtunately or unfortunately all other games I know of behave normal.

Agreed. Pilot eject, clouds on, certain types of bombs falling, or AC damage or crashes all seem to cause large sudden FPS drops, that are unrelated to FPS, and especially noticiable in VR. I actually upgraded my system for this very game thinking that my computer was the problem, and while I don't regret it, I can say honestly it did not solve the problem. It's a problem with DCS itself. Some modules are worse than others it seems with the Viggen being especially bad and helicopters tending to be good.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,