Queen Tamara Airport

WatchYour6

Hi guys! I have always felt that te middle of the Caucasus map has always been so empty because of lack of airports. When I today looked at a real airportmap I saw the little airport Queen Tamara Airport which could be a big game changer in alot of multiplayer games for example operation Blueflag.:lol: This airport is also pretty simple so it would not take to much time to add this airpot into the game! Thats why I am suggesting ED to add this airport to the map! What do you other guys think??:pilotfly:

1_Hauptmotiv1_ArchitectureMeetsNature_QueenTamarAirport?$c_gallery$

%E1%83%AE%E1%83%94%E1%83%93%E1%83%98_%E1%83%96%E1%83%A3%E1%83%A0%E1%83%A3%E1%83%9A%E1%83%93%E1%83%98%E1%83%A1_%E1%83%9B%E1%83%97%E1%83%98%E1%83%93%E1%83%90%E1%83%9C_(G.N._2008).jpg

data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-P-Kp54izWpw%2FVh1aVYgBNzI%2FAAAAAAAAATk%2FPXokbAR-JRQxae8V96pEbDggwwZ_FyJiA!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh4.googleusercontent.com%2F-P-Kp54izWpw%2FVh1aVYgBNzI%2FAAAAAAAAATk%2FPXokbAR-JRQxae8V96pEbDggwwZ_FyJiA%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i3648!8i2736!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x405bd9f53eac9973:0x8df8629cd86f8745!2sQueen+Tamar+Airport,+Mestia,+Georgia!3b1!8m2!3d43.0531277!4d42.7490034!3m4!1s0x405bd9f53eac9973:0x8df8629cd86f8745!8m2!3d43.0531277!4d42.7490034!6m1!1e1

• Like 1

It's way too small, jets can't use it. Helos can live without it, they already have FARPS. It would be nice for WW2 scenario though.

The current Caucasus map is not modeled very accurately anyway, I suppose there are many more small airstrips like that missing.

• Like 1

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Good catch finding that small airstrip. The airport building looks kinda out of place in that region, though. ;)

I guess DCS could never have too many airports and airstrips, but I'm with Bogey Jammer on this one. The tactical value is very limited. With a runway length of just a tad over 1 km, it's of little use for most DCS jets. And if/when we get the ability to place airstrips like FARPs (which, I believe, will be a feature of the Normandy map, and will hopefully be implemented for all other maps as well), mission makers should be able to improvise such airfields, even if they look more generic that way.

Basically, it would be a nice addition, but my guess is that such a feature would have a very low priority.

• 8 months later...

Hi I just wanna update the status about the airport. They have now gotten a asphalt runway which is 4778 ft/ 1456m long which is enough to take a A10 and alot of smaller aircrafts. It can also carry Helicopters as a FARP.

13414.jpg

If anybody is still interested at ED to add thisaircraft before next major update I would be really happy for lots of new opertunities!

• Like 1

Perfect for the Razbam Av-8B!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

And if you look closely to the map for Mestia you realise its really empty in that area of the map, its actually like a big hole. I think also as a simulator, DCS should add all airports in the region lastly but I would prefer this airport to be first.

+1

How about DCS be as realistic as possible, why are there so many people here that treat it as a glorified strike fighters 2? Most houses don't have "tactical values" neither do rivers but they're here because DCS is supposed to be realistic (it is in fact the most realistic flight sim here, it's way better than FSX/P3D and even has an edge over X-plane apart from lack of world map) If it's there irl and it's practical for it to be there it should be there

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

If you want something realistic and up to date, remove half of the Russian airbases and all Georgian but Vaziani.

I personally want to keep everything as we have today to land my cold war era MiG-21bis on a practical runway.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

If you want something realistic and up to date, remove half of the Russian airbases and all Georgian but Vaziani.

I personally want to keep everything as we have today to land my cold war era MiG-21bis on a practical runway.

Uhm what? Remove all Georgian airbases but Vaziani? Go on google Earth and go to the airbases, they are there, some of them have been bombed and are now disused or are abandoned but that in most cases is the post result of the 2008 conflict which the Caucuses map is centred around. The only airbase and do feel free to correct is Novorossiysk. That's it, all the other bases including the minor ones we can't even spawn at are there, albeit maybe abandoned and now disused but they are still physically there - so removing all Georgian airfields and half the Russian ones isn't realistic in the slightest, as they are still available to be used, just not exactly historically accurate. There are also other airbases in key locations which, while they might not see use as being operational in a combat sense they make good tactical positions, such as the airfield at Poti or Zugdidi...

Plus your argument of not being able to use them as a practical runway? Adding them won't stop you using more practical runways, but the MiG-21 isn't the only aircraft around, adding the new airfield won't force you to use unsuitable runways, you can use the normal runways and forget this airport ever existed, it may serve as a mere land mark to you. But for others it can be more functional.

Going back to unsuitability it's also unsuitable for your MiG-21 to land on an aircraft carrier or a floating platform, or improvised airfields such as grass strips does it mean those shouldn't be modelled?

Ultimately it makes the map more authentic which I'm all for as I want DCS to be as true to life as possible.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It's about to be coherent.

If you want all the small airstrips that were always been available, that's fine.

If you want the 2017 version of Caucasus with the latest asphalt runways, you will also need modules of the latest aircraft that we will never have for them, and why not an expansion of the theater to Ukraine and Turkey. The airbases may still be physically here today, but let's face it, they are totally ruined and no more used. I've read about the Bombora base, supposed to be restored for the Russian Navy, but the airbase is still hangar-less on the latest sat pictures. Mozdok, the home of a heavy bomber regiment left almost 20 years ago… Kutaisi is still ravaged and they have not took yet the decision to relocate the ridiculous number of Su-25 left, rotting outside for years, etc…

I posted the MiG-21 example to show that personal preferences makes things even harder to find a compromise. Like you said, it's not era fixed but it is certainly not 2010's friendly either.

I'll buy :

It's about to be coherent.

If you want all the small airstrips that were always been available, that's fine.

If you want the 2017 version of Caucasus with the latest asphalt runways, you will also need modules of the latest aircraft that we will never have for them, and why not an expansion of the theater to Ukraine and Turkey. The airbases may still be physically here today, but let's face it, they are totally ruined and no more used. I've read about the Bombora base, supposed to be restored for the Russian Navy, but the airbase is still hangar-less on the latest sat pictures. Mozdok, the home of a heavy bomber regiment left almost 20 years ago… Kutaisi is still ravaged and they have not took yet the decision to relocate the ridiculous number of Su-25 left, rotting outside for years, etc…

I posted the MiG-21 example to show that personal preferences makes things even harder to find a compromise. Like you said, it's not era fixed but it is certainly not 2010's friendly either.

Why would improving airbases demand updated aircraft?

I'd personally love an expansion into Turkey, I'd love to play around in the Bosphorous strait, however, this topic is about airfields not map expansions...

DCS is a sandbox simulation so if it's there, if you can get practical use out of it (even as a staging post for land units, as some runways are unsuitable some of the combat aircraft we have around.

Again the Caucasus map we have now is from the 2008 Russian-Georgian conflict, if you don't want an airbase because the current map predates it then fine

Edited by Northstar98

System:

Man this is beginning to irritate me. I can't follow your contradictions anymore. I feel there is actually nothing to debate. I just wanted to tell that an airstrip that saw asphalt in 2017 for the first time, would look weird in a cold war scenario, and reciprocally for the planes. Realistically or not, sandbox or not.

Anyway the Caucasus theater will not be enhanced more than it is planned for the 2.5 version as the official sources said. They just don't even want to append the old Crimea theater data…

I still hope for surprises though, like everyone in this topic.

I'll buy :

Man this is beginning to irritate me. I can't follow your contradictions anymore. I feel there is actually nothing to debate. I just wanted to tell that an airstrip that saw asphalt in 2017 for the first time, would look weird in a cold war scenario, and reciprocally for the planes. Realistically or not, sandbox or not.

Anyway the Caucasus theater will not be enhanced more than it is planned for the 2.5 version as the official sources said. They just don't even want to append the old Crimea theater data…

I still hope for surprises though, like everyone in this topic.

Well you said and I quote "remove half of the Russian airbases and all Georgian but Vaziani" which isn't realistic at all - this has been addressed

Then you said "If you want the 2017 version of Caucasus with the latest asphalt runways, you will also need modules of the latest aircraft that we will never have for them" To which I said we have the map as it was in 2008.

Then I said "the Caucasus map we have now is from the 2008 Russian-Georgian conflict, if you don't want an airbase because the current map predates it then fine" meaning that if a new airbase has been added or updated post 2008 it might not be a good idea adding for the sake of historical accuracy.

Correct me if I'm wrong that while a lot of the Russian airbases look different (some drastically so) and at least one Georgian airbase (Kobuleti - the airfield with 2 shorter runways forming an X shape closer to the coast is listed as a military airbase, but the DCS Kobuleti airbase looks completely different and defunct. Apart from that I doubt there have been drastic changes since the 2008 conflict. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Bases that are abandoned/damaged are so as a result of the 2008 (again correct me if I'm wrong) since we have the 2008 version of the map, these should still be operational If you follow my reasoning.

EDIT: I can't find data for Queen Tamar/Mestia airport before 2010 so it's likely it was built post 2008 so if it's it's not wanted due to historical accuracy then that's fine by me...

It is a shame that the Caucasus won't be enhanced or expanded, though they are doing it for free... I still like many hope for surprises (Crimea would be great - it's potential is great). I'd personally like to see the Bosphorous strait and maybe an extension into the Marmara and maybe even further into the Dardanelles and the Aegean (pretty please ED, as a paid expansion I'd go for it). But these are for other threads...

Hope that clears that one up :)

Edited by Northstar98

System:

Kutaisi is still ravaged(...)

O/T, but: what info do you base this on? And please don't say google earth, as the most recent picture there is 8 years old. Kutaisi was renovated in 2011/2012, with a new terminal building, ILS for both runway directions etc.

O/T, but: what info do you base this on? And please don't say google earth, as the most recent picture there is 8 years old. Kutaisi was renovated in 2011/2012, with a new terminal building, ILS for both runway directions etc.

I'm using Google Earth to find airports, Mestia airport hasn't even been built yet according to it...

Plus we have the map centred around the 2008 conflict, ideally we should have the map accurate to that time. (Poti should be an airfield). Not sure about Zugdidi, whether or not it was built post 2008 or not...

System:

No we don't. The current DCS map existed well before 2008.

Case in point, Kobuleti/Meria. All structures (including hardened shelters) at this airbase were demolished by 2006.

It's hard/impossible to pinpoint any exact time frame for the current map, but some time in the mid 1990s isn't that unlikely.

Georgia is wildly different from the implemented map DCS has, I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Go find Novorossiysk or where is Marneuli? How about the airfield north west of Tbilisi? If they redo Georgia, there's not just the ski resort airfields to put in, but a bunch of things to bring it closer.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Georgia is wildly different from the implemented map DCS has, I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Go find Novorossiysk or where is Marneuli? How about the airfield north west of Tbilisi? If they redo Georgia, there's not just the ski resort airfields to put in, but a bunch of things to bring it closer.

Well, I'm fine with it just being the 2008 map for the 2008 Georgian/Russian/South Ossetian war, it doesn't really need to be updated to a 2017 version. And as far as I know (feel free to correct that quite a few of these new airports are recent, certainly post 2008 and therefore they're historically inaccurate in that sense.

Personally I'd like the Caucasus updated for the 2008 version of the map, with all the airfields, landmarks etc done fully, providing the resources of course. I myself wouldn't mind paying for an expanded version of the map. Going further with map expansions I'd personally like Crimea, the Bosphorous Strait, maybe even the Darnadelles/Marmara Sea and an expansion into the Caspian Sea - it would just expand the theatre and the theatre's potential, there are at least 2 airports in Turkey by the Marmara Sea and the straits themselves could serve as naval choke points - but I fear were drifting off topic here, might start my own thread on expansions (possibly paid) for the Caucuses map.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

No we don't. The current DCS map existed well before 2008.

Geographically it's right, and there's been campaigns/missions using that, but the map is of the region well before 2008.

That's interesting I thought the map was supposed to be centred around the 2008 conflict, unless I completely made that up, if this is the case I apologise.

But all my points still stand regardless of the precise year the map is built around. If adding an airfield makes the map more authentic for that period then yes. But the points being made about removing half the airbases or making new aircraft to suite the period, which to put it bluntly is just wrong.

I suppose the dev's think it better for us to have Novorossiysk and Kobuleti, which I imagine most players agree with.

Regardless, the map should be consistent with the time it was designed for, excluding war-time damage during the 2008 conflict, that's for us to do :P

Edited by Northstar98

System: