Printable map of current Caucasus map?

Stratos

Hey Flappie. I saw and play with your map on the last beta release of CombatFlite 0.9.22. What you did is pretty amazing and I am so excited to see the final version. The CombatFlite map though is limited to 277% zoom. Is it because of the definition of the map you provided to Viper? I am going to be picky but I wish you extended your map a little more south into the Turkish territory just like what is available in the updated Caucasus map. At BlackSharkDen, we are used to make some quick night incursions across the Turkish border to pursue those pesky rebels who are trying to hide on the other side. :) But if it means starting all your work all over again, forget about it. I am already happy with what you did.

For airbases, I suggest you get in touch with Snoopy of the 476th (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201987). They released some pretty good airport diagrams for the region which I guess you might be able to reuse on your chart if it is OK with them.

Do you think there is a way to make your work more collaborative? I can't imagine how boring this should be to hand draw roads. Any way to share that between several actors?

Edited by BaD CrC

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CombatFlite map though is limited to 277% zoom. Is it because of the definition of the map you provided to Viper?
I sent him a "middle" sized picture so he could check the map's accuracy. Of course, I can produce a much bigger version of the map. :thumbup: The only limit is the definition: as soon as one sees the pixels of the raster layers, that means the map is too big. Rasters are SRTM and relief shadows. One can also see "pixels" by zooming on the polygons taken from the game, because I didn't smooth the edges of the vectors yet. We'll see about that later.

Also: the look of the map you saw is temporary. I first wanted to mimic the TC-1 map, but I want to make a clearer, sexier map.

I am going to be picky but I wish you extended your map a little more south into the Turkish territory just like what is available in the updated Caucasus map. At BlackSharkDen, we are used to make some quick night incursions across the Turkish border to pursue those pesky rebels who are trying to hide on the other side. :) But if it means starting all your work all over again, forget about it. I am already happy with what you did.

The borders of the map are set in Quantum GIS. I can change them whenever I want. So there's no work to be redone, only coordinates to be changed. :thumbup: Could you send me the max and min coordinates (top, bottom, left and right) you wish to get in the final map? You can use ACME Mapper.

For airbases, I suggest you get in touch with Snoopy of the 476th (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201987). They released some pretty good airport diagrams for the region which I guess you might be able to reuse on your chart if it is OK with them.

Thanks a lot! Will do.

Do you think there is a way to make your work more collaborative? I can't imagine how boring this should be to hand draw roads. Any way to share that between several actors?

One needs to know how to handle Quantum GIS, and it took me some time to get where I am today. I also need the work to be as homogeneous as possible. For now, the load of work is OK for one man. As soon as I'll start working on the road network, I'll determine how much time it will take to finish the job. If we're talking about months, I'll definitely reconsider cooperative work.

EDIT: Oh, here's an idea for cooperative work. Could you please tell me what hides before the sentence "All terrains are updated" I read in today's Rik's update? Is it about map display, or map content?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

No problemo. It can be done. I simply need to mask the sudden end of the map, west of your "secret" area. I'll work on it for my next CombatFlite update (will add power lines and rivers).

(by the way, I'd love to fly among you someday, chopper fellows :) )

Edited by Flappie

Yeah, it's weird why they didn't extend on the same parallel the area in Armenia and Azerbaijan. Well, at least it's only elevation and lakes. I don't think there are any more towns/villages in this area so your work should be limited. But thanks!

You can join the BSD Discord server if you want. We are flying sometime during the weekend afternoons to accommodate our Europeans pilots. You could have a spin with us.

• 4 weeks later...
You can join the BSD Discord server if you want. We are flying sometime during the weekend afternoons to accommodate our Europeans pilots. You could have a spin with us.
I'll sure do, as soon as I'm a little less busy. ;)

The river work made me realize that the reprojection I had made is far from perfect. While it's more than OK near Kutaisi, large gaps appear between real life (red/green/magenta) and ingame (blue) rivers. I need to redo the reprojection and the 3 polygon layers that came from it (waterbodies, vegetation and urban areas). Good news is: that doesn't take long at all, compared to all the incoming hand-drawn rivers/road/railroad stuff. :megalol:

fcacbbc1587195233b9cb3b1145f6d0a.jpg

See those gaps?

What's done

Elevation : 100% (as a raster)

Relief shadows : 100% (as a raster)

ISO lines : 100%

Base MGRS grid : 100%

Base geo grid : 100%

Town names : 100 %

Work in progress

Rivers : 40%

What still has to be done

Power lines : to be partially redone

Sea, lakes and large rivers : to be redone (bad reprojection)

Vegetation : to be redone (bad reprojection)

Urban areas : to be redone (bad reprojection)

Roads : 0%

Railroads : 0%

Bridges : 0%

Beacons : 0% (lua file to be converted into GeoJSON)

Airbases : 0%

Elaborated MGRS grid : 0%

Elaborated geo grid : 0%

Edited by Flappie

Projection has been redone. I'm now able to finish the river work.

EDIT: Shit, I just realized that the geolines from the ME are not accurate...

Edited by Flappie

This is simply amazing Flappie !

Good things always take a bit longer to ripe, we can be SOOO patient you won't believe it :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Awesome work flappie! Thanks!

Flappie, you're a damn hero for working on this. I've done some GIS work myself and I totally understand your points of frustration, thank you for keeping up on this project!

This is simply amazing Flappie !

Good things always take a bit longer to ripe, we can be SOOO patient you won't believe it :)

Thank you all. :smilewink:

I'm currently displacing OSM rivers for them to fit the ME's map. It's quite long but nothing that I can't overcome.

It seems the SRTM (real terrain elevation) and ME's elevation data don't match perfectly well. Right now, I'm not sure that I can do something about it. We'll see about that later.

Good news though: my hand-drawn powerlines happen to be accurate after all - vegetation, sea/lakes and urban areas are also accurate. I don't need to redo all this stuff. :)

What's done

Elevation : 100% (as a raster - slightly different from the game's map)

Relief shadows : 100% (as a raster - slightly different from the game's map)

ISO lines : 100% (slightly different from the game's map)

Power lines : 100 %

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100 %

Vegetation : 100 %

Urban areas : 100 %

Work in progress

Rivers : 45%

Railroads : 0%

Polygon smoothing (vegetation, urban areas and sea/lakes) : 0 %

I needed a break with all that river work. I started the railroad network... and finished it. :smartass:

While the river network seems finished on the map below, it still needs a lot of work, believe me (OSM rivers are often misplaced and/or not matching the ingame shapes + missing rivers).

WIP_28august2018.png

What's done

Railroads : 100%

Work in progress

Rivers : 45%

Exciting news Flappie.

Yeah, I believe you about the rivers. When I am trying to create briefing maps from google earth and try to match them with in game, rivers are the least reliable landmarks to use. DCS Caucasus rivers are very different from IRL rivers.

Roads will not be fun either to draw! Just thinking about Tbilissi road network only is scary!

• 3 weeks later...

So, Viper39 was eager to deliver the first public version of his CombatFlite app, but he warned me about it just a couple of hours before it went online. That's why I didn't have time to give him the latest version of my map. Sorry about that.

Tonight, I'm working on redoing the 3 polygon layers (vegetation, seas, and urban areas) in order to include the east-southern side of the map.

The river work is quite tedious but I made large progress (I started from Anapa, and I'm about to reach Tuapse).

I haven't started the road work yet.

Last but not least, I'm trying a new set of colours.

Hi Flappie. Well, CF 1.0.0 is a release version, but I understood Viper's intention is to make it more like an Open beta so he can get more feedback than what we were able to provide during the closed one. For larger zoom levels, there is always the possibility to switch to Bing maps within CF. It is not ideal but at least there is this possibility.

Honestly, I can't wait to have your full scale Caucasus map in CF so we can zoom in enough to see this village and the bridge over this small river nearby so we can accurately prepare our chopper missions. This will be totally awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for some good news! I've had enough time to redo the full Vegetation and Water polygons. They now both include the extreme south part of the game's map.

south_batumi_sept2018.png

As you can see, I'm now using the new set of colors I told you about. Here's a shot of Krasnodar surroundings. Do you like it?

krasno_sept2018.png

Great work Flappie! Really appreciate what you are doing:thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Yes, I will soon provide him a brand new map. Rivers won't be included yet, though.

What's done

Railroads : 100%

Work in progress

Rivers : 55%

I've been working on both MGRS and geo grid lately. I think each grid looks OK now, but the map seems a bit unreadable when both grids are displayed (just like in the ME).

MGRS_GEO.png

(click to enlarge)

I'd like to know which one you'd like to see, depending on the support (as a print or a Combat Flite map).

1. no grid at all

2. geo grid only

3. SRTM grid only

4. both geo and SRTM grids

The map still looks readable to me with the 2 systems.

Then I'll keep it that way in the "standalone" version of the map.

Unfortunately, the MGRS grid makes the JPG quite heavy. Much too heavy for CombatFlite, at least for now. I've just sent a v0.2 to Viper.

Caucasus_v0_2_teaser.png

(EDIT: woops, I need to get those railroad and powerlines layers on top of the water... FIXED for the upcoming CF map)

Enough with the layout stuff, I'm back on the river work.

Edited by Flappie