comms menu question; not seeing the airfield listed I'm flying over...

fitness88

How do I radio a runway to get them to turn the lights on when I'm flying over it and all I see in comms menu are ships?

I should add, what causes this to happen?

Thank you.

A couple things here:

First, to be able to talk to a particular TWR at a particular airfield you need to tune the appropriate frequency and transmit your „Inbound“ call on that frequency. That is if you have the „Easy Communication“ option not enabled. One way to get that frequency (if it wasn‘t in the mission briefing already) is to go to the F10 map ingame and click on an airfield icon.

Second, runway lights (including at the Carrier) will only light up after you call „Inbound“ AND it has to be dark enough (dusk, night or dawn). In daylight the runway lights are never on as far as I can tell. Maybe in daytime with a significantly impaired visibility but I am not sure on this one. Others certainly can chime in on that.

Also, airfields must belong to your own coalition (blue or red), or they won't show up at all in the radio menus.

@Hog_No32 you're right about having to tune the correct freq, but even with the wrong freq dialed in, airfields should show up in the menu, they just wouldn't respond.

[...]

@Hog_No32 you're right about having to tune the correct freq, but even with the wrong freq dialed in, airfields should show up in the menu, they just wouldn't respond.

You are right Yurgon, thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by Hog_No32

Thanks to the both of you for the info.

I'm flying with no 'easy comms' and have all the correct freqs. and as we are all aware, correct freqs. or not, blue/red or not, when you're right over an airfield and all you see listed are ships...it's a bit strange.

The name of the MP server is Acrobatics...Caucasus. Fly over Batumi.

Just tried that on the OpenBeta (had some great fun flying formation with random dudes; I love that server!) and there was no problem contacting Batumi even starting cold at Kobuleti, some 20 or so miles away.

Overhead, Batumi was the first hit:

Screen_190524_01.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's all working fine.

Just tried that on the OpenBeta (had some great fun flying formation with random dudes; I love that server!) and there was no problem contacting Batumi even starting cold at Kobuleti, some 20 or so miles away.

Overhead, Batumi was the first hit:

As far as I can tell, it's all working fine.

Yes it's a lot of fun! The issue I had wasn't 20 miles away it was circling around over the airfield.

Yes it's a lot of fun! The issue I had wasn't 20 miles away it was circling around over the airfield.

I can only guess that the airport was accidentally assigned to the other coalition and the problem was fixed sometime later.