Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

Just to clarify, I have no problem with that, in fact, that's exactly what I've been saying. Get the MT preview polished up, get it ready for Stable, and you can then make another preview branch with DLSS, for instance. Rushing changes this big never ends well. 

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

MT is still running in a preview form and is being tweaked with the feedback and reports we have had from many people. We need time to get MT to where we are happy, then we can look to the future features like DLSS and Vulcan. We will share news when we are ready of course. 

thanks

This is the way!

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

This is the way!

🤣🤣 Love it!!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

23 hours ago, Berniyh said:

Having bugs on the experimental option is not such a big deal if there is still the standard option with DX11 and ST. Personally, I'd rate Vulkan support at much higher priority than DLSS (or FSR) since it provides the basis for the next-gen engine, but of course that's only my point of view. Don't know how they set the priorities internally.

DLSS it can be only implemented in Vulkan or DX12. Not in DX11 !!! so Vulkan would come first than DLSS.

36 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

DLSS it can be only implemented in Vulkan or DX12. Not in DX11 !!! so Vulkan would come first than DLSS.

Hm, I'm not sure about that. The Nvidia website indeed states that it's only available on DX12/Vulkan.

However, there is at least one game (Assetto Corsa Competizione) that I know of which supports both DLSS 2.0 and FSR 2.0 and although based on UE4, it's DX11 only. No DX12, no Vulkan. Maybe DLSS 3.0 is DX12/Vulkan-only?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, they shown a video stating it was done using MT and DLSS, but nothing about Vulkan. This suggests they got it working in DX11 somehow. 

Well,

one *could* import the engine to DX12 Devkit/Libraries as MS has said, and continue to run the engine in DX11_x Mode under DX12's API, thus giving someone access to DX12 Specific Interfaces and Tools, while still running their DX11 Based Engine.

You just wont see any Performance or FPS Improvements running in DX11_x mode, as the engine would have to actually be re-written to take advantage of those things. (DX12 Low Level access, DX12 Multi-Threading, Asynchronous Shaders and Rendering, etc etc etc.

P.S. DLSS 3.0 is DX12 Only, DLSS 1.0/2.0 works on DX11_1+, So there's that too.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

7 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

P.S. DLSS 3.0 is DX12 Only, DLSS 1.0/2.0 works on DX11_1+, So there's that too.

That's probably it. I highly doubt they'd implement 3.0, given that it'd require a 40 series GPU to support it. Given how overpriced they are, most people will be on 30 series or lower, so it's most likely DLSS 2.0.

4 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

That's probably it. I highly doubt they'd implement 3.0, given that it'd require a 40 series GPU to support it. Given how overpriced they are, most people will be on 30 series or lower, so it's most likely DLSS 2.0.

DLSS3 introduces frame latency, something we don't need in DCS

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, I wouldn't know since I'm on a 1080ti, anyway. 🙂 Not to mention it's been implemented in what, one game? I think it was in this recent Spiderman thing.

FSR should work on a 1080ti as well, iirc. Since they also said they'll implement FSR, that might be an option for you.

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

What kind of increase in performance would Vulkan give?

I'm sure it's system specific, but is there a rough guess? 

Pretty sure that'll be very system- and settings-specific, just like multithreading. So I don't really think we can estimate numbers here.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:33 PM, BIGNEWY said:

MT is still running in a preview form and is being tweaked with the feedback and reports we have had from many people. We need time to get MT to where we are happy, then we can look to the future features like DLSS and Vulcan. We will share news when we are ready of course. 

thanks

Cannot help myself to check if ANY update under "Official Updates" every a few hours since MT beta launched. 

Expecting stable version coming soon, as well Vulcan/DLSS for next. Cheers ED team! Dreaming for DCS growing into Unreal5-like next gen platform someday. 

Edited by kerlcat
  • Like 1

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

• 1 month later...

@DigitalEngine already got update of “preview” MT as part of stable version right after that post. Love it though still some bugs which I can accept given the huge performance boost from last Dec ver. 🙂 thanks anyway. Wish to see a “official” road map but I understand it’s a challenge to ED team.

• Like 2

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

• 1 month later...

When can we expect to see it introduced in DCS?

• Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Hope soon™, and specially I hope it's not longer than this year. MT was huge task and not finished yet, that's for sure, but It's about time we finally see what Vulkan will bring to us.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

9 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Hope soon™, and specially I hope it's not longer than this year. MT was huge task and not finished yet, that's for sure, but It's about time we finally see what Vulkan will bring to us.

Will be nice for those of us using VR. I'm sure ED would love less forks to maintain too.

• Like 1

<double post>

Edited by SkateZilla

• 4 weeks later...

MT is no where 100%, just because the preview was included on the stable branch doesn't mean it's done,
If MT was 100% ready, it would be the only binaries included in the builds.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3

On 8/4/2023 at 8:49 PM, Berniyh said:

With stable being updated

There are plenty of problems with the current iteration of MT. ED decided to incorporate them into the last 2 builds of the Stable build because they are not game-breaking (although they can and do lead to crashes).
Going to Vulkan now/soon (before those issues are properly fixed) would be a troubleshooting nightmare for them, since they won't be able to tell if bugs/performance problems come from MT or Vulkan, or a combination of them.
Let them get MT stable (not DCS-lingo "Stable" but proper stable) before adding new stuff on top of it 😉 

• Like 5
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

23 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

There are plenty of problems with the current iteration of MT. ED decided to incorporate them into the last 2 builds of the Stable build because they are not game-breaking (although they can and do lead to crashes).
Going to Vulkan now/soon (before those issues are properly fixed) would be a troubleshooting nightmare for them, since they won't be able to tell if bugs/performance problems come from MT or Vulkan, or a combination of them.
Let them get MT stable (not DCS-lingo "Stable" but proper stable) before adding new stuff on top of it 😉 

Vulkan has nothing to do with MT....