Mustang's land textures zip file package

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that after testing every update, I still keep coming back to "050515" compilation.

The reason for this is different artistic concept represented by these older files.

The main ground texture in all recent updates is based on some aerial photo showing a thick carpet of "trees/bushes" with a tiny bit of ground here and there, which:

a) doesn't resemble Caucasus or any European area at all;

b) always looks more or less bad from lower altitudes, as these "bushes" turn into a messy pulp and no amount of cranking up the noise layer is going to solve it.

The aforementioned files from may the 5th have a base texture with a mix of smooth grassy fields and much smaller fake "bushes" areas, offering not only more realistic scenery for "our" region of the World, but also some welcomed visual variation. And they look well both high and low altitudes (as they blend better with city and airbase textures).

Well, that's my 2 cents of feedback.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Updated first post, vfstextures_set4_16384_060715 package has more corrections to colour (especially spring) also added low altitude noise texture and village textures (a thankyou to Starway for allowing the use of these!)

Edited by Mustang

I'm getting "invalid or deleted file."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

• 3 weeks later...
I have to admit that after testing every update, I still keep coming back to "050515" compilation.

The reason for this is different artistic concept represented by these older files.

The main ground texture in all recent updates is based on some aerial photo showing a thick carpet of "trees/bushes" with a tiny bit of ground here and there, which:

a) doesn't resemble Caucasus or any European area at all;

b) always looks more or less bad from lower altitudes, as these "bushes" turn into a messy pulp and no amount of cranking up the noise layer is going to solve it.

I actually based the 16k textures on samples in Google Earth Pro of areas around the Crimea and southern Russia/Black sea region, you'll be surprised just how much scrubland and forest cover there is - the region is practically in the middle east

eOwGeBE.jpg

VwHbl9n.jpg

PnZdMBl.jpg

after spending hours in Google Earth i realize there are huge areas of agricultural fields inland but these would be better handled if ED added more fields to fill in these areas, putting fields into the noise texture would look ok in some areas but completely out of place in others (around airbases and in the mountains) the one I've chosen works good for all areas (they also look very very nice in EDGE :) )

Edited by Mustang

There is a difference in the 1st pic (with textures I recognize from the DCS2 preview) to the 2nd and 3rd pic. What do I need to get the results from pic1/post 1?:)

Edit: Nevermind I found out:)

I've gotta say, when it comes to textures you are a true artist. Excellent work. My only humble suggestion is to to what Starway did with the generic fields/agriculture- which I thought was greatly enhanced in his latest terrain.

Other than that: Stellar work:)

Edited by zionid

I would still argue Your latest textures suit Georgean rocky/ mountain areas better than coastal plains (as the pics above show :) ), but I understand that it's always a question of compromise. Agree about insufficient field areas issue.

Decided to download the 1307 update and gave it a try. It's indeed a great improvement over june releases. Mountains, especially, look great now.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

your latest turns spring into winter?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Erm no? check what season is selected in the mission you're running.

ah ok that's what it was I had changed it to winter.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I've noticed a small side effect of the latest mod, which, I think, was not there with may the 5th version (can check it out later If You want to). Some of the buildings on the map change their colour with the viewing distance, as shown in attachments:

1) attachment 1 - take a look at a big warehouse in the middle of the village. White walls, light grey roof, nothing extraordinary. When I fly away from it, however, it starts getting darker...

2) attachment 2 - the same building seen on the left, from a couple of kms further. Medium grey all around;

3) attachment 3 - same building with the lowest LOD, not long before it disappeared. Turned very dark grey already, then went to pitch black just before the structure disappeared.

The same happens with some smaller buildings on the map, while the others are displayed properly. I use Your shaders mod and "medium" visibility distance. Any idea what causes the problem and how to solve it?

Screen_150728_223454.thumb.jpg.5f8ec8951a79c5798e32981d7bc7653a.jpg

Screen_150728_223528.thumb.jpg.558c0fa9470b90b0836efec2d5bb16a8.jpg

Screen_150728_223541.thumb.jpg.789e7abf303a4184231aeaaedd654f23.jpg

Edited by Art-J

Close up some (not all) buildings take their texture from whatever is on the texture file in your temp textures folder, further away they revert to the block_texture file, and unless that has been changed it reverts to the original textures in the game, the very old and very poor quality ones. There are three, as far as I know, reworked block_texture files around, my own, one by dimitriov (in this mod) and one by zauela, you will have to find one you prefer.

It also depends a lot on how your high.lua is set up, and that is pretty complicated to get right, what works for one building may not work for another in one high.lua setup, but might work in another.

I have been playing around with the eye candy for years and it has never been more difficult to improve, but we try.

^ That's all fine and dandy, but, as I wrote, I use Mustang's "medium", not "high" .lua file. Moreover, I just did more testing with both latest and may texture pack, with and without Dimitrov's and Yours HD buildings. Results: buildings display correctly with old pack (both medium/high vis) and new pack/high vis combo. New pack/medium vis, however, causes issue as described above.

@ Mustang - I'm not "lua-savvy" enough, but doesn't it mean some parameters in "medium" one are responsible for that?

mustang the new update textures work great, but I'm having an issue with MP where display drivers stop responding, I have to deactivate the mod. :(:(

mustang the new update textures work great, but I'm having an issue with MP where display drivers stop responding, I have to deactivate the mod. :(:(

The mod shouldn't be the cause of your display driver failing, i developed the textures on my R9 270 2gb card and have zero problems, your graphics card (GTX980-4gb3.0) has substantially more muscle and should not fail running this mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Mustang,

Although I enjoy your terrain mod very much from the cockpit unfortunately it makes it very difficult to see targets with the A-10C TGP so I have been forced to go back to default for that reason. Is there an easy way to reduce the intensity of the contrast (noise?) by about 50% so I can have my cake and eat it too?

Mustang,

Although I enjoy your terrain mod very much from the cockpit unfortunately it makes it very difficult to see targets with the A-10C TGP so I have been forced to go back to default for that reason. Is there an easy way to reduce the intensity of the contrast (noise?) by about 50% so I can have my cake and eat it too?

Yes, in High.lua just edit line 37 to a lower value such as

noisemax = 0.4; or noisemax = 0.5;