Graphics and Controls video by Wags

Donut

You guys make me jealous with your 2080 TI's. I'd love to upgrade to latest and greatest but just can't bring myself to pay those prices for ray tracing that I don't care about at all. Right now I'm going to try to squeeze some more perf out of my 8700K and 1080TI. Planning to delid my 8700K next week and go for 5.0+ overclock.

Going from strix 1080 ti to to ftw3 2080ti was an improvement, though not jaw dropping. It’s more than ray racing, it’s a better card no question, DCS looks good at max, and the ability to run it there is an obvious benefit.

If disposable income is limited, I can name 3-4 different upgrades that are more bang for the buck. Upgrading warthog gimbal to warbrd, for example, is like bathing in Jesus water.... or something. It is Jaw dropping.

If you’re vr, it looks to me like the odyssey plus from rift is similar. I’m still waiting on mine, so can’t say first hand, but being able to read mfds.... that’s like the holy grail

Delta sims slew for $60 is the most amazing $60 you’ll ever spend.

In short- don’t sweat the 2080 too much. If you geek out on clock speeds and think about delta t, optimizing your loop feel free, 2150 at 40C is absurd, but for your average dude, which this thread proves is the majority, for $1500 by the time you get the card, block, etc.., there’s just better ways to spend money. If you’re dropping 5k on your rig feel free, but if not, there’s better ways to spend money

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Going from strix 1080 ti to to ftw3 2080ti was an improvement, though not jaw dropping. It’s more than ray racing, it’s a better card no question, DCS looks good at max, and the ability to run it there is an obvious benefit.

If disposable income is limited, I can name 3-4 different upgrades that are more bang for the buck. Upgrading warthog gimbal to warbrd, for example, is like bathing in Jesus water.... or something. It is Jaw dropping.

If you’re vr, it looks to me like the odyssey plus from rift is similar. I’m still waiting on mine, so can’t say first hand, but being able to read mfds.... that’s like the holy grail

Delta sims slew for $60 is the most amazing $60 you’ll ever spend.

In short- don’t sweat the 2080 too much. If you geek out on clock speeds and think about delta t, optimizing your loop feel free, 2150 at 40C is absurd, but for your average dude, which this thread proves is the majority, for $1500 by the time you get the card, block, etc.., there’s just better ways to spend money. If you’re dropping 5k on your rig feel free, but if not, there’s better ways to spend money

What I meant by that is the premium on the RTX cards is mainly for ray tracing, which I just don't feel is worth the cost in my use case. I pretty much only play DCS right now and don't play hardly any other games.

That's a nice overlock you have there on your 2080 TI :thumbup::thumbup:

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

What I meant by that is the premium on the RTX cards is mainly for ray tracing, which I just don't feel is worth the cost in my use case. I pretty much only play DCS right now and don't play hardly any other games.

That's a nice overlock you have there on your 2080 TI :thumbup::thumbup:

No I gotcha, I wasn’t real clear in my late night post :beer: I understand RTX is the primary new tech, but my point was the that in DX11 they are a significant upgrade as well. If you compare it to the jump from 980 to 1080, or differences within the 10 series, the curve is out of whack. However, I don't think that's the right way to look at it. The only other actual option to get that extra 30-35% is a Titan V, which the 2080TIs consistently beat and cost $3k. I realize that's not a consumer card, but given the death of SLI, I don't know of any other way to obtain equivalent performance.

I listed the other examples mostly just as other upgrades that provide a substantial improvement to the overall DCS experience that are much better bang for the buck, consistent with the overall thread. In fact most of those suggestions improve how well you fly, not just FPS.

The price is difficult to swallow for sure, but that justification is up to each individual. DCS has a crazy player base, from very modest system to elaborate sim rigs. A lot of players are pilots as well, and flight time is expensive. I rent a EA-300 a couple dozen hours/yr to maintain my aero/taildragger skills, and the premium equates to about 2 hours on the clock. I fly a lot less since I started playing DCS, so in a very twisted "I saved so much money on these expensive jeans I got on sale" type logic, I figure I saved money.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

• 2 weeks later...

Wags,

Could you also post your Nvidia control panel settings for each of your machines?

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

Without a doubt they are impressive systems, that come with equally big price tag's Id bet that the vast majority of players can only dream about having super high end systems

On my mid range system I'm pulling 60-65 on all maps, with all graphic setting high

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX2 (LGA1155)

SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (Gigabyte)

465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA (SSD))

I'd like to see how your lower spec testers you mentioned configure their setting, which I believe will be more beneficial for a lot of users

I literally can't believe. I've got pretty much the same specs, but a 1080 stock oc'ed, 8-8-8-24 RAM and a mobo from GB with exactly the same features/chips on it. My frames are less than 50. Checked at and around Senaki-Kholki AB, I know it's known for low fps, but that's also my benchmark point. BTW that 1070Ti you have has 8192MB as well twilightsmile.png

Win 7 64 Pro · Gigabyte GA Z77-D3H (BIOS v.23b) · Intel i5 3570k · Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB CL8 DDR3-1600 · Corsair Force GT 120GB + Crucial MX100 512GB on ASUS U3S6 PCIe x4

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G (390.65) · SB X-Fi Elite Pro (6.0.1.1375) · VIA HD onboard audio (6.0.1.8700) · Eizo EV2436WFS-BK · Teufel Concept E Magnum

MS FFB2 · MFG Crosswind · MS P2 + PP (sliders) · Dual Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant · HOTAS Warthog Throttle · TrackIR 4 (5.1.3)

Funny thing is I had about twice the fps with my old 970 (!), but stutters from hell en masse that made DCS 2.5 absolutely un-sim-able with texture settings any higher than low, otherwise the same settings. Some things I don't have to understand probably... like getting a better card and then having half the frames, but smoother overall rendering rdlaugh.png

dcs-set-1080.thumb.jpg.7c8a1523d63daa057c8b1a82334142e6.jpg

nv-set.jpg.37ba58cce7a5924a1cca01c4eba65146.jpg

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg