Spitfire no longer overheating easily?

It has been a number of months since I flew the Spitfire in earnest, so I was surprised last night when on a free flight that I could not overheat the engine.

I had the Spitfire hanging on it's prop at about 30 deg, 90 mph on full boost and full rpm. I did this time after time, and although the water temperature came up it did not reach maximum and the motor refused to blow smoke and die.

I also flew the plane around in more normal attitudes at max rpm and boost and still no motor damage.

I had a look through all the settings and it is still definitely on simulation rather than game mode and I cannot see anything new related to hard-to-destroy engine settings.

I find this behaviour strange as in the past when practicing dogfighting using the quick mission menu my engine would blow if I fought in the vertical for more that 15 to 30 seconds. Am I imagining it, or have others noticed the same thing please?

I have not flown the Spit with this week's update but last week I was blowing engine no.proplem. I was actually doing a whole lot of testing on the engine flaking when to cold. I don't think the last few patches have had any Spitfire changes in them.

What is your air temp?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If you are doing the Normandy free flights, I believe the temperature is cooler for those missions than on Caucasus or Nevada, or even the default temp in the ME. I have to work to bust the engine on the Normandy freeflights.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Yes, it runs a lot cooler than it did a number of months ago but that change came months ago.

It has the additional rad previous Spitfires did not have so it is logical.

I used to prefer high altitude since it didn't overheat so easily, now it overcools up high in my opinion. It has been a while since I tried flying at altitude.

As I recall it is ok as long as you are beating it but getting fuel economy up high is asking for trouble temperature-wise.

I find it fine. I just shifted my altitude down.

I definitely have to open the rad flap at times while dogfighting but never for too long at all. It cools quickly.

I like it much better now.

Just because it "used to" behave a certain way, does not mean that was correct or realistic.

You should be able to push the crap out of a Spitfire. Especially an Mk. IX.

No complaints here. I can still toast it but one eye is always on the temps and pressures as it needs to be.

If I am going full out, I don't have time to look for gauges.

I just check it when I can and estimate about one minute of total WEP before I pull back if I am too busy to look.

If I am not catching up after a minute, it's time to call it a day and I break off or set rpm 2800 and boost 12 or lower to cool for a bit. It doesn't take long with the rad flaps open.

The subtle changes you notice when listening to the engine can tell you when the oil is getting too thin from too much heat. Perhaps only in my own mind.

I do Love this Spitfire.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Coolant volume was increased several months ago, since that it is not as easy to overheat engine as it was before that patch.

efficiency was increased : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3556954&postcount=631

Edited by saburo_cz
not volume but efficiency

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |