FM Radio homing

Topgun505

Im interested, Im still failing to learn how to do this, maybe its not me? That’s why I am following this thread

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Yes, Huey homing on FM is crap. It rarely takes you to the actual beacon so I just use the map (e.g. Argo campaign first mission).

ADF however works fine.

For me, ADF, VOR beacons, and ILS works just fine. Even the FM Homing works fine ... UNTIL you try to contact ATC.

@Thrustvector -- what exactly, did you test?

Try this: Load up the "Elbrus Rescue" UH-1H mission.

The homing beacon is (iirc) 40.50. Take off normally. Set FM homing radio frequency and homing switch. Verify the homing needles point to the top of the mountain... THEN use the Comms Menu to contact Skala on 116.0. Select Skala, and press F2 to request an Azimuth to them.

For me, immediately after I do that, the FM homing needles stop working and the little yellow, no-signal bars pop up, the beacon signal stops, and that's all she wrote for the FM homing beacon - nothing I do after that, can fix it (afaik).

You can do it before takeoff too. Start up your bird normally, set the radios and FM beacon, verify the homing sound is on and the needles are deflected. All Good. Contact Skala, and request take-off clearance ... bye bye, homing beacon.

That's what I see .. and not only in that mission, that's just an easily testable example... I see it in any mission (or, at least, every mission I've tried that uses an FM homing beacon). It's fine until you call ATC -- then, it's gone. YMMV.

Regards,

Edited by FourSpeed

• 1 year later...

Beacon Loss with ATC Call -- Solution

Had the same problem with Elbrus Rescue mission. Actually any beacon usage.

Beacon working until either transmit or receive on any actual radio vs the simulated radio chatter that is coming in as a message. (Can tell message as radio volume does not impact the chatter).

Solution is to have the infantry RTO move between two waypoints. For WP 0 delete the "Hold" and add "Perform Command - Go To Waypoint - 1." At Waypoint 1 include the same "Transmit Message" as in Waypoint 0. Then send as above from WP 1 back to 0.

Radio transmissions will still stop the beacon. However, beacon will be restarted at next WP.

Try with two different sounds to see that is actually changing.

Issue resolved.

VR with Oculus Rift preferred flying method.