Lighting is incredible!

Dav IRL

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm not disappointed with the new light at all. It's a great improvement to the overall quality of the sim. Yeah, it might need some tweaks here and there, like full moon too bright, but let's keep in mind it's the first release of the first set of changes. That said, it's just awesome.

But there's one thing I'd like to bring to the attention of the dev team : On NTTR map, things are a little odd. Urban lights can only be seen from a relatively small distance, while further away, it's just dark. I'll attach two screenshots, one of LV and one of Dubai

Have you tried sunrise/sunset lighting? Have you tried mid-day? How does your cockpit (and which plane?) look at night and during the day? What gamma were you using in 2.5.5 and what are you using now? (and how do your gamma settings look during the day and night now?) And what map are you testing on?

Thanks.

ps - I hope some people who have the time to spare might post some good 2.5.5 vs 2.5.6 lighting-comparison screenshots: Especially in various cockpits at dawn and dusk. This lighting update just wasn't necessary from my perspective. I was literally, several days before 2.5.6 dropped, going to post screens of some night ops I flew in the Persian Gulf to praise ED for how good night lighting had become. But man, 2.5.6 just is a real bomb that is hard to swallow coming from someone (me) who thought the lighting in DCS, day and night, was already beautiful and realistic. It also seems like the people who love the new lighting didn't really play with the gamma settings in 2.5.5. But I could be wrong.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Have you tried sunrise/sunset lighting? Have you tried mid-day? How does your cockpit (and which plane?) look at night and during the day? What gamma were you using in 2.5.5 and what are you using now? (and how do your gamma settings look during the day and night now?) And what map are you testing on?

Thanks.

Hey its a wip..the new improvements are fantastic and they will tweak the rest soon enough.

Constructive?

Glass half empty.

Hey its a wip..the new improvements are fantastic and they will tweak the rest soon enough.

Constructive?

Glass half empty.

No, glass is half full...and criticism encourages a full glass.:thumbup:

Thanks.

ps - I hope some people who have the time to spare might post some good 2.5.5 vs 2.5.6 lighting-comparison screenshots: Especially in various cockpits at dawn and dusk. This lighting update just wasn't necessary from my perspective. I was literally, several days before 2.5.6 dropped, going to post screens of some night ops I flew in the Persian Gulf to praise ED for how good night lighting had become. But man, 2.5.6 just is a real bomb that is hard to swallow coming from someone (me) who thought the lighting in DCS, day and night, was already beautiful and realistic. It also seems like the people who love the new lighting didn't really play with the gamma settings in 2.5.5. But I could be wrong.

yes, dusk/dawn look extremely unrealistic and weird, with extreme color saturation and odd palette, it was better before. Even moon light was much better before (color).

attachment.php?attachmentid=227518&d=1581782793

attachment.php?attachmentid=227519&d=1581782793

The problem with cities is that all lights look uniform. It would help to reduce light intensity inside compounds to make contrast with roads. Compounds are too bright and too uniform, compared with real life where most of houses have lights turned off.

Ingame, you can see at above screenshots that roads lights are weaker than house lights, which is not correct.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/02/14/3AF56EFA00000578-3993802-Dubai_s_beautiful_skyline_has_been_captured_a_night_by_a_pilot_c-a-89_1480689711179.jpg

You can see on this image how major high capacity roads are the brightest, local roads are not that bright, and house lights are weakest. Additionally, you can see that you cannot really see where ground and sea connect, it's just black spot, while ingame, you can clearly see the beach.

The problem is that this is not LIGHT, and thus, it doesnt feel like so. With "lighting improvement" I expected to finally get some kind of basic real time lighting.

Constructive?

Glass half empty.

The "wip" card is starting to get old imho.

This update has been, for ME at least, a huge dissapointment and a massive step back: Errors with the program, bugs, worsen lighting, ME problems, etc. Really starting to get really frustrating.

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Guys, how about recalibrating your display from scratch and then adjusting the in-game gamma as needed?

Already done...that wont change the fact that colors/effects look off and worse than before. The only real improvement was city lights, and even then I wont consider what I have seen to be good. I just see brighter/further city lights textures. Other than that Im sorry but this is a mess.

Take a look at my MODS here

The persian gulf lighting looks atrocious, almost like the tiling system used in BMS. The new water effects are excellent however, a noticeable improvement.

Obvious issues with the cockpit lighting of the F-14 that has been mentioned already. It runs fine which is a plus.

Also, the moon and sun are still tiny. Is this something that will be looked at as well?

Edited by Wavehopper

Just updated the game. I have no idea what OP is seeing. The new lighting is pure bad. It makes no sense. The night time is the worst in general with super bright panels and objects.

Very specific time of day looks somewhat good but overall this is a pure downgrade with exaggerated HDR and bloom.

If this was an attempt to copy the new Flight Sim game shaders, it looks like a knock off version of it.

Especially the cockpits of ED's own modules look very plasticky now.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - UNTOUCHED - ABANDONED

I don't get the bloom effect at all. As you don't see such blooming in reality unless you look trough some smudgy glass. And now that blooming is all over places in instruments etc when sun shines to them.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

(…)

The "wip" card is starting to get old imho.

This update has been, for ME at least, a huge dissapointment and a massive step back: Errors with the program, bugs, worsen lighting, ME problems, etc. Really starting to get really frustrating.

BETA versions have bugs, the reason there's an 'OPEN' beta is so that people with odd configs can report that their gear generates errors.

What's supposed to happen is happening - you are fulfilling your role as an open beta tester

If you find dealing with the bugs and changes in the beta is ("Really starting to get really frustrating.") maybe it's time to stop using the BETA and go back to using the stable version ?

Cheers.

Lighting is incredible!

Just updated the game. I have no idea what OP is seeing. The new lighting is pure bad. It makes no sense. The night time is the worst in general with super bright panels and objects.

Very specific time of day looks somewhat good but overall this is a pure downgrade with exaggerated HDR and bloom.

If this was an attempt to copy the new Flight Sim game shaders, it looks like a knock off version of it.

Especially the cockpits of ED's own modules look very plasticky now.

I’m seeing lights on runways and lights in towns at distance, I’m finally able to fly at night! Yes it requires refinement but overall it’s a brilliant first step and shows great potential. I’m also not seeing a performance hit with all the objects like buildings, roads and towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dav IRL

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

I finally got to fire it up, albeit for only two minutes, seemed to work ok. Dark wasn't very contrasty but that's mostly my VA monitor. Ooooohhh for the day when OLEDS become the standard =((((

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• ED Team
Hi,

I'm not disappointed with the new light at all. It's a great improvement to the overall quality of the sim. Yeah, it might need some tweaks here and there, like full moon too bright, but let's keep in mind it's the first release of the first set of changes. That said, it's just awesome.

But there's one thing I'd like to bring to the attention of the dev team : On NTTR map, things are a little odd. Urban lights can only be seen from a relatively small distance, while further away, it's just dark. I'll attach two screenshots, one of LV and one of Dubai

While night light has changed overall, the source light changes have only been tweaked for the PG and Black Sea maps as it is the testbed, so that is what you are seeing.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

We need Ray Tracing

We really don't. What we need is a lightweight, highly optimised rendering pipeline that can replicate the lighting conditions that were available in 1.5 and 2.0 before deferred rendering was made the only available option.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

That isn't part of what is being worked on. The issue of terrain lights interacting with aircraft and such is another issue and has to be balanced with performance and eye candy.

As long as their are option settings that can be adjusted. Game performance vs eye candy balance hopefully won't be a problem...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

While night light has changed overall, the source light changes have only been tweaked for the PG and Black Sea maps as it is the testbed, so that is what you are seeing.

Each map seems to apply a slightly different effect, imo the Black Sea map is spot on whilst PG is ok but needs the draw distance increased and intensity tweaked, NTTR looks the least worked on or so i thought until i tried Normandy which is pitch black / next to no lighting whatsoever - I know its a WWII map and all towns are in blackout but it would be good to have a non-blackout option :pilotfly:

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

Lighting is just a big big deal as it has a huge effect on everything, so I think it's expected to be treated as such and I think the feedback is just to be expected really.

I'm quite how the cockpit lights and buttons look and feel, if the glow of the ligths behind switches is properly simulated to feel right, so I wouldn't say it's too much picky, this is just an area that can break the game, and that we all just relax and know that it's going to be a journey, especially where vulkan API is surely going to change some things, because it's not just about the API, the whole graphics engine is being rewritten for that to work, well, some parts probably are recycled, depends if they convert or rewrite shaders, rewriting is like the bane, so conversion is most likely just like most other studios, but even with conversion it probably may change the look a bit.

But it's a pretty good idea to realize monitors are totally different with many low panel qualities out there that differ significantly, technologies of LCD, VA, TN, IPS, IPS+, OLED, etc.

It would be a good idea for many of you to checkout extensive resources at TFTCENTRAL:

You can do something even if you most likely don't have the proper hardware, by using ICC profiles and/or calibrating the monitor's colors to what someone else got on the same exact model, that may not always work due to differences and "panel lotteries".

Panel technologies: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

Calibration: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm

ICC Profiles: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

LCDTest: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

despite some teething errors with the new patch and some new features with no explanation (sound file changes, new graphics rendering option but nothing in patch notes to explain) i have to say after flying in PG at nighttime it looks like a new map.

The new night lighting actually looks very very realistic at night with the golden glow in VR.

More needed on Nevada map.

Dawn and sunsets and the sky colours again stunning make's it look like a whole new world.

Note some people complaining - however put your gamma to max 1.1 and it looks brilliant!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

The persian gulf lighting looks atrocious, almost like the tiling system used in BMS. The new water effects are excellent however, a noticeable improvement.

Agreed... and agreed.

I'm seeing people say, "Just change your gamma settings." But then they admit that, though they thought the lighting in 2.5.5 wasn't good, they never played with their gamma settings. I must be in a small minority (or silent majority? :-)) of folks that thought lighting looked great before and now it's gone backwards. It wasn't perfect before, but I'd argue way better than currently. Oh, well...WIP. :thumbup:

Edited by wilbur81

I couldnt be more dissapointed with the new "lighting"...it looks unrealistic, specially at dawn/dusk (LOTS of oversaturated and weird colors), and still being texture lighting. It doesnt "shine" like light and lacks any kind of interaction with the environement.

In the cockpit, lights look like having a cheap reshade effect, glowing extremely strong.

When zooming in, the light bulbs still making bigger. Sorry but I cant see much improvement other than increasing overall brightness of the light textures and rendering distance.

+10