Space Combat Grip "Kosmosima"

UIV

What's the best email to use?

The black box that came with my Gunfighter Pro was faulty when I received it. ...

Just an update - rrohde and UIV got me set up with a replacement and everything is working swimmingly now. Thanks gentlemen. :thumbup:

(apologies for all the off-topic, non-Kosmo posts)

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

• 5 weeks later...

VKB,

I want to use the SCG mini-stick as an axis, and the depress as a button.

However, pressing down on the mini-stick switches it to a 8-way POV.

Is there a way to use the mini-stick depress as a button and not a mode switch between axis/POV?

VKBDevCfg-C

go to bottom profile tab, then buttons tab. (note: all the images below show what you want it to look like. ie, without POV mode switch)

IJdFk15.jpg?1

For both the physical and logical tabs, alter the button type to "button" in the pull down tab.

2uQJCsC.jpg?1

XhYu0ZG.jpg?1

Make sure to assign that new button to joystick button 28 or higher, otherwise it will default to joystick button 5 (duplicating the pinky switch press).

Finally, make sure to hit the "SET" for the program to upload the new input layout. Then save the profile if you like.

• 2 weeks later...
VKBDevCfg-C

go to bottom profile tab, then buttons tab. (note: all the images below show what you want it to look like. ie, without POV mode switch)

https://i.imgur.com/IJdFk15.jpg?1

For both the physical and logical tabs, alter the button type to "button" in the pull down tab.

https://i.imgur.com/2uQJCsC.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/XhYu0ZG.jpg?1

Make sure to assign that new button to joystick button 28 or higher, otherwise it will default to joystick button 5 (duplicating the pinky switch press).

Finally, make sure to hit the "SET" for the program to upload the new input layout. Then save the profile if you like.

Awesome, just made this change. Thanks for the directions!

• 1 month later...

Of all my stick grips for flying DCS World, this is my favorite one for flying US aircraft. I bought the basic version because I intend to use its guts to make a real B-8 stick grip into a functional VKB grip, but I am going to get the advanced version the next time I see it in stock.

The shape and button/hat placement makes this grip capable of substituting for most US grips with reasonable size/shapes/positions.

The MCG Pro has more of everything, but its size and shape are not as comfortable to me as a B-8 style grip. So, if I don't need an analog brake lever, the Kosmosima is a better fit for me. But the basic version I have only had the single button on the side which can't match the functionality in the F-5 stick grip or most other later grips. With the extra options on the advanced version, I can't imagine many US stick grips that couldn't be emulated with the Kosmosima. It is easily a match in functionality for the Thrustmaster Warthog and F/A-18 grips (which I also have), but it is simply more comfortable and closer to the arrangement and feel of the real B-8 grip I prefer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree. I have the premium one and I prefer it over the MCG Pro. TBH, the MCG Pro has buttons that wiggle too much for my taste. The SCG buttons are not lose.

Also the 5 way hats are better on the SCG, as the valleys in the MCG hats are too steep. Maybe its a demographic difference, but there's no way a mans thumb can sit into the concave hats of the MCG.

The concave hats of the SCG are wider and have less slope. Though they are still alittle small. I have to sit my thumb sideways in the SCG, but at least I have full surface contact (and friction) with it unlike the MCG.

IMHO, the TM Warhog has the best sized hats, which my thumb rests perfectly in.

The shape and button/hat placement makes this grip capable of substituting for most US grips with reasonable size/shapes/positions.

Agreed - this is my secondary Gunfighter w/ SCG - now ready for the DCS F-16 Viper :thumbup:

The SCG is compact enough for a reasonable throw that's not too large.

eaY6Mj3.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

My preference is for replica grips. Ideally, I would have a 1:1 scale physically identical grip for each aircraft I fly. I don't mind squeezing in extra functions such as being able to click down on a 4 or 8 way thumb switch. I find it very immersive to feel the same stick as I see on screen, even more so in VR.

However, having to change grips every time I change aircraft isn't practical and the majority of grips I would like to have don't exist. So it is more practical to use a grip that can model most other grips. It is hard to beat the MCG for this purpose. The analog brake lever is useful in a number of aircraft and the flip-up gun trigger is used in even more aircraft. But as capable as it is, you have to map the functions of US sticks to weird positions. I also find the top tier buttons hard to reach, particularly one of the most commonly used buttons for US grips: the red weapons release button at the top left. It feels horrible if I map that to the clickable analog hat just below it despite the superior location.

The SCG is almost the perfect compromise for me. It fits right in my hand like my real B-8 grip. It has everything within easy reach. It doesn't quite model any real grip, but it is the closest one I have to the size and comfort of the B-8 as opposed to the MCG, Warthog, and F/A-18C grips. But the lack of the analog brake lever forces me to favor using the MCG, which is by far the best grip for flying Russian jets and also a good choice for the Spitfire.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

Hi.

Just two questions, since I was looking at the SCG too.

What is the precision difference compared to the Warthog-grip?

Is it really too small for big hands?

Thx

The sticks size itself is great.

Its the 4 way hat where your thumb rests (CMS switch on warthog) that is somewhat small on the SCG. But its way too small on the MCG Pro.

I highly recommend the premium SCG over the MCG pro. All i had to do was swap out the mini stick cap for a PS4 cap which feels much better.

Above palm rest - with 2 positions in SCG and fixed in Warthog no much difference, but the space for hand on grip (between trigger and palm rest) is smaller in SCG.

8gfstb4lq8j21.jpg

SCG HAT's and buttons looks more accessible than in Warthog, don't need move hand up for press weapon release button.

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 2 months later...

I just ordered an SCG Premium grip with adapter kit for Gladiator II (non-Pro).

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-upgrade-kit-lite-w-mcg-bundle-2

It replaces the German KG-12 grip that came on my Gladiator II (non-Pro). Meant for space sims, but really all I need is the extra hats.

Looking forward to the dual-stage trigger also. And hopefully a dedicated PTT that doesn't cut out randomly if I don't press it perfectly. I was shift/sharing my bomb-release button with PTT - sometimes with tragic results ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up to my last post (above): My SCG premium retrofit kit is now installed on my old Gladiator II. There are ZERO instructions included in the kit, but I found a few user videos on YT that helped me thru the moderately involved process of taking my entire stick gimbal apart and flashing the FW. Not as big an issue if you have the GII Pro version with detachable grip I guess.

Initial impressions: Really, really good overall. More buttons and hats = huge benefit in complex modules such as A-10C, F-16, etc. Unexpectedly, I think the stick motion around the center is actually smoother now too, with the new gimbal-stick internals. Very happy with the purchase.

Some minor improvement suggestions: I have normal-large hands, and find the grip just a tiny bit restrictive / too small for me. Nowhere near enough to return it, but I just wish there was another 1/4 inch of space between the trigger and permanent hand-rest. I cannot imagine anyone actually needing the nice extra bolt-on hand-rest raising pads, unless they have exceptionally small hands. I do like the fact that this SCG grip is much smaller (and lighter?) than the MCG grip, because I have (and prefer) a side-stick setup, and so don't want a lot of movement like you might for a between-the-legs setup.

The inner end of the new gimbal adapter drags a tiny bit against the original gimbal axis due to a slight interference fit (just a hair too long). Not enough to cause any functional problem, but enough to hear and feel unwanted minor scraping in normal use. I tried adding some lube there but it didn't fix it. Annoying at first, but I am used to it now.

Also, the twist axis is very stiff at center, but that is a good thing for me because I don't use it and don't want it moving accidently. I think it can be locked up with a screw, but haven't found the need to do so thus far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

There are ZERO instructions included in the kit

VKB provides quality instruction videos on the product pages for upgrade kits - the one for the 'Upgrade Kit Lite' are found here (scroll towards the bottom):https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-upgrade-kit-lite-w-mcg-bundle-2

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

VKB provides quality instruction videos on the product pages for upgrade kits - the one for the 'Upgrade Kit Lite' are found here (scroll towards the bottom):https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-upgrade-kit-lite-w-mcg-bundle-2

Hmmm....I never scrolled down that far! That YouTube video is actually the same one I found by searching on YouTube. It was not made by VKB, but by a private user account named Tarapatraptar. No company info was provided by that user. VKB should at least include a pdf file link on or in the box, or maybe they should have a YT channel like other companies do.

<edit: I just found VKB DOES actually have a YT channel called "VKB Sim", but sadly no instructions for this product there, nor a link to that user's video>

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIB6Y3RLKEpanqiPv62fkA/videos

Edited by Darrylx444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, he does the videos for VKB's official YT channel... (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIB6Y3RLKEpanqiPv62fkA/videos)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yep, he does the videos for VKB's official YT channel... (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIB6Y3RLKEpanqiPv62fkA/videos)

Aha, OK! That's still odd. I wonder why he put just that one on his own private channel instead of with all the other official VKB videos. And without any logos or links to or from the official channel. Seems like customers would like to be assured that the technical information is authentic and approved by the company, rather than just some random user's best guess. In any case, the information was good - it works!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

approved by the company

Although I can understand and share your concern, we have always appreciated and often relied on help and support from the community.

The day we start approving anyone posts will perhaps be the last day of this good and confidential relationship with the community supporters.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Although I can understand and share your concern, we have always appreciated and often relied on help and support from the community.

The day we start approving anyone posts will perhaps be the last day of this good and confidential relationship with the community supporters.

OK, well that seems a bit dramatic. I think you perhaps you misunderstood me?

I just suggested that if you are going to expect your customers to perform detailed internal work on your product using a retrofit kit that they purchased from you, then it might be a good idea to provide some kind of official instructions (video or otherwise) that are easily identifiable as being from VKB, or at least approved by VKB. Mainly to avoid potential situations where somebody has to go searching and finds incorrect (or out-of-date) un-official information resulting in mistakes / damage.

I don't see how that could possibly hurt your relationship with community supporters, nor would I want that.

I really don't care who actually makes VKB instruction videos - it's great if a volunteer does that. Just that it should be easy to tell that they are from VKB, exactly like all of your other videos (but not true in this one particular case, for whatever reason). Actually, in this way, VKB is already "approving" Tarapatraptar's other videos that reside on VKB's YT channel. From your customer's perspective, those videos are provided by / authorized by VKB.

Feel free to ignore my suggestion if you wish, but it is offered in the spirit of constructive criticism along with my other positive feedback previously provided, as a repeat VKB customer.

Edited by Darrylx444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]