Mig-21 Landing Done Right - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #21
Steinsch

Yes, that's the only one besides the Fishbed, as far as I know.
Steinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #22
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinsch View Post
@Ironhand: Great attitude control during the flare!
I don't know if it is possible to get this nose wheel on the ground smoothly with that kind of weight.

The feeling of shaking in this cockpit never gets old. Would love to have that in other planes.
Thank you. It’s not so much a flare as a round out. Just had to do it more abruptly than usual because of the excessive weight. In going through the various manuals, I realized they were talking about a round out rather than a flare at that point in the landing sequence.

In my experience, it’s your landing speed that dictates how abruptly the nose wheel comes down. At around 250 km/hr, it comes down gently. At 280 it’ll be far more abrupt. So, to a large degree, I suppose it’s tied to landing weight. This particular landing was grossly overweight as you know. My poor flight crew would have spent hours inspecting the aircraft as a result.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 06-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
Steinsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Thank you. It’s not so much a flare as a round out. Just had to do it more abruptly than usual because of the excessive weight. In going through the various manuals, I realized they were talking about a round out rather than a flare at that point in the landing sequence.

In my experience, it’s your landing speed that dictates how abruptly the nose wheel comes down. At around 250 km/hr, it comes down gently. At 280 it’ll be far more abrupt. So, to a large degree, I suppose it’s tied to landing weight. This particular landing was grossly overweight as you know. My poor flight crew would have spent hours inspecting the aircraft as a result.

Yes. I feel the round out has to be abrupt and late because we can't hold a high AoA during approach to slow down without having an unacceptable sink rate. I tried again today after seeing your video.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #24
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinsch View Post
Yes. I feel the round out has to be abrupt and late because we can't hold a high AoA during approach to slow down without having an unacceptable sink rate. I tried again today after seeing your video.

Nicely done. Guess I prefer having a better view of the threshold and runway on the way down, when making a visual approach, so I come in steeper.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #25
ruskybeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG21bisFishbedL View Post
I think a bad habit for a lot of MiG drivers is to just dump full flaps for landing. The take-off flaps might be enough for such a light load like <15% fuel.

Probably true. I've heard from a RL Mig-21 pilot that they were required not to use full flaps for landing while at a training stage.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #26
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskybeaver View Post
Probably true. I've heard from a RL Mig-21 pilot that they were required not to use full flaps for landing while at a training stage.
Probably true. Judging from my experience in the sim, full flaps are more likely to dump you onto the runway hard as the wing loses lift with speed loss. With 3/4 flaps, that loss is more gradual and your landing is gentler.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 AM   #27
Steinsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Nicely done. Guess I prefer having a better view of the threshold and runway on the way down, when making a visual approach, so I come in steeper.
And I think you're absolutely right. It's safer in every way. Better visibility of the runway, controls certainly more responsive and more reserve lift in case you need to wave off.

I was almost at max MIL and had almost zero reserve thrust left to reduce my rate of descent if that came to be necessary (unless AB was used but that would guarantee a go around). I was lucky to be pretty much on the glide from the outset and in a safe environment.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #28
Big Nuts

Something i see people do is just chop the throttle over the runway as its done this way in other aircraft.

The mig is no floater like the cessna 172.

Dont dump the throttle, just use it to control how hard or soft you contact the runway. Makes it all a lot easier.
Big Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing, mig-21