A-10C after 2.5.5. update. - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #51
Snoopy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinc429 View Post
I think the APU volume should be decreased and mixed with some other kind of noise, because from the cockpit the sound is not comming from the external sound only; a part of sound is due to vibrations the engines and APU transmit to the cell. In the game the APU sounds like the listener was placed out of the plane. In my opinion, the engine sound for me is acceptable from the speed-up on take off, but for start-up is very poor and unrealistic. I don't know the TF-34 sound but I suppose very simmilar to CF-34 I'm familiar to.
Actually the APU sound in game was recorded by me sitting in the cockpit with the APU running, canopy opened. Even with the Canopy closed on the ground with engines at idle is loud.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #52
Arinc429

I supposed it a little bit quiet, especially wearing helmet.
Anyway for me the weakest point of the new enviroment is the engine sound during start-up. For the rest it's appropiate for me. I love the engine whistling sound during speed-up before the brakes release.

Thanks, Snoopy.
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / Track IR 5.0 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W
Arinc429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #53
Nytehawk

OK, just for completion in case someone else comes looking for this same issue. I have everything working now. The symbolic link redirects are in and that solved the ATC and Betty issues. I looked into the "sounds\speech\sound\eng\common\disabled_player" and that is how Vaicom Pro is disabling the player speech, so those are expected error messages. All else seems to be working fine now.

Now I'm experiencing the same thing other people have reported; Betty telling me to pull-up when I'm 1,500 in the air and flying level. Seems it's locking onto objects in the distance when it happens.
Nytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #54
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

I wish there was a way to turn Betty off. I really don't need to be warned.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #55
randomTOTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardly38 View Post
I will agree. Spool up sounds wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk View Post
Something definitely sounds odd when spooling up the engines
Quote:
but for start-up is very poor and unrealistic.
Quote:
Anyway for me the weakest point of the new enviroment is the engine sound during start-up.

It sounds to me like we lost the audio for the Air Turbine Starter. I has no cranking sound, and makes the starting process very quiet. I've made a thread in the bug section.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #56
Snoopy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomTOTEN View Post
It sounds to me like we lost the audio for the Air Turbine Starter. I has no cranking sound, and makes the starting process very quiet. I've made a thread in the bug section.
You can’t hear the starter on an A-10C when starting engines. The sound has never been correct in dCS for the A-10C (and A) when staring engines. We have a very definitive low bass sound when ignition kicks off. Otherwise all you hear is the APU under a load.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #57
randomTOTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
You can’t hear the starter on an A-10C when starting engines.
My bad

I'll delete the bug thread.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #58
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk View Post

And yes, the sound is way different. Something definitely sounds odd when spooling up the engines, like I'm sitting in a nice, plush, business jet instead of a beast of a weapons platform.

Hate to break it to ya. Those engines are the same ones from your neighborhood CRJ regional jet. Only difference is the rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Eagle7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #59
joshloar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7907 View Post
Hate to break it to ya. Those engines are the same ones from your neighborhood CRJ regional jet. Only difference is the rating.
Haha yup, that's where I got my recordings for my sound mod actually! CF-34s and TF-34s are identical inside
joshloar10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #60
Nytehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7907 View Post
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, you're correct. I'll admit that, which I thought I already did when replying to Snoopy's post correcting me the first time. You don't need to hate to break it to me, you're not upsetting the balance of my delicate little world here.

Snoopy pointed out that the sound was recorded while sitting in an actual A-10C, so that's definitive enough for me. I've never had the luck to even see one in person, let alone hear the sound from outside or inside. I wasn't thinking the engines were different, I was pondering the possible lack of sound insulation between the two plane styles; regional jet being more civilian and commercial where a military jet might not focus so much on sound insulation as armor, systems, etc.. I was strictly going off the way it sounded before the patch and after the patch. Now that I know, it's no big deal. I can even turn the volume sliders way back up and hear everything else in better detail, since the old engines drowned out so much of everything.

Anyway, I was pondering the whole fiasco that started with my ATC and Betty chatter. I wonder if the whole thing was brought on by Vaicom Pro. I still have not had anyone confirm or deny the existence of symbolic links named "redirect" inside the A-10C and ATC sound file directories. I'm interested in if this was a DCS or Vaicom issue, and where the bug originated.

__Redirect sounds like the sound redirect to second sound card switch inside Vaicom, and the "disabled_player" directory sounds like how Vaicom disabled the player pilot calls.
Nytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote