Broken su-33 autopilot?

Joebooty

Flying with a couple of my buddies in the su-33 we've all noticed that the plane needs lots and lots of trim(more than normal) and periodically the plane will seemingly reset the trims and try to hurl us at the ground or suddenly pitch up. After while of this one of my buddies remarked that if feels like the autopilot is stuck on and can't be disengaged. We confirmed our suspicions by trying to turn the autopilot on and off multiple times each with no noticeable impact on the aircrafts handling. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just us?

Usually when you engage the AP in either the 27 or 33, the AP takes control over the trimmer and adjusts trimmer settings automatically. When you disengage, the AP leaves the trimmer settings where they were, not resetting them to what you had done before.

So it's a good habit to re-trim manually everything as soon as you get out of AP.

Edit: The AP is also really bad at route following, considering that it always tries to fly "desired track", rather than "desired heading". This is especially noticeable when there's a short leg between two waypoints. The way how the aircraft is trying to follow the track often ensues in stalling out and disengaging the AP by itself. I wish that ED would address that - but that's another story.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...