stuck on grass

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like msalama said, if you can tell us the exact location, we might be able to confirm if there's a problem in DCS. Personally, I don't recall such problems with runways or taxiways. Also, a track (recording of the flight) is always very useful for figuring such things out! :thumbup:

Anyway, you should probably open a new thread, because it seems more or less unrelated to the topic of this one.

From the description and screenshots, I'm not sure how you get the impression that FireCat does something borderline suicidal. If I read the description correctly that runways appear to be "sticky" or that there are invisible yet solid barriers, that's certainly a problem that would justify development resources, wouldn't you agree?

This has happened to me at a few airports and in the field picture Soganlug & Tiblisi I was just practising and testing mainly due to one incident in a town I don't know where I came in to land on an open patch on touch down the Huey started to rock violently and partially sink into the land as in the pics. It wasn't actually suicidal as I was sat in a chair with a VR Oculus headset on. Not much chance of death.

This has happened to me at a few airports and in the field picture Soganlug & Tiblisi I was just practising and testing mainly due to one incident in a town I don't know where I came in to land on an open patch on touch down the Huey started to rock violently and partially sink into the land as in the pics. It wasn't actually suicidal as I was sat in a chair with a VR Oculus headset on. Not much chance of death.
I'll check Soganlug and Tblisi today. Sounds weird.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

So I checked what I need to do to bury the skids and nose into the ground...

The requirements are: cyclic pushed forward(!), a bit left pedal to keep the nose straight, then pull collective until the nose flips over the skids, while keeping forward(!) cyclic! (see picture 1 "Suicidal")

Even if you leave the cyclic in neutral position (pic 2), left pedal as before and only(!) pull the collective slowly up the Huey flies itself of the ground, with a right turning attitude, scraping a bit over the tarmac, as expected.

If you actually do a normal taxi, with correct cyclic input (pic 3) to correct reverse blade induced uneven lift as mentionend in all tutorials etc. you get into a pefect hover and can taxi at 3-5 ft as long as you want. :smilewink:

How not to taxi a helicopter:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180633&stc=1&d=1520705726

Better, but still a no-no:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180631&stc=1&d=1520705624

How to get into a correct hover for taxiing a helicopter:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180632&stc=1&d=1520704943

...and before we go another 20 pages of "but can't they fix the ground/helicopter model, because IRL yadda yadda. Yes, they could likely through a higher polygon collision model that mimicks the skids horns etc. which will require everybody to buy a water-cooled 4.8 plus GHz i7 to get at least 40 fps in FullHD. And this is the collison model of the aircraft, not the ground. :smartass:

Suicidal.thumb.jpg.94a40fc5c03e9b7c7611a700b8630bdf.jpg

NoCyclicInput.thumb.jpg.e1fcd81d66229b3952ca351c8c3570c4.jpg

Nomal_Hover_3ft.thumb.jpg.304da976647cbd85cd253cf65b1d1f62.jpg

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

So I checked what I need to do to bury the skids and nose into the ground...

The requirements are: cyclic pushed forward(!), a bit left pedal to keep the nose straight, then pull collective until the nose flips over the skids, while keeping forward(!) cyclic! (see picture 1 "Suicidal")

Even if you leave the cyclic in neutral position (pic 2), left pedal as before and only(!) pull the collective slowly up the Huey flies itself of the ground, with a right turning attitude, scraping a bit over the tarmac, as expected.

If you actually do a normal taxi, with correct cyclic input (pic 3) to correct reverse blade induced uneven lift as mentionend in all tutorials etc. you get into a pefect hover and can taxi at 3-5 ft as long as you want. :smilewink:

How not to taxi a helicopter:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180633&stc=1&d=1520705726

Better, but still a no-no:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180631&stc=1&d=1520705624

How to get into a correct hover for taxiing a helicopter:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180632&stc=1&d=1520704943

...and before we go another 20 pages of "but can't they fix the ground/helicopter model, because of IRL yadda yadda. Yes, they could likely through a higher polygon collision model that mimicks the skids horns etc. which will require everybody to buy a water-cooled 4.8 plus GHz i7 to get at least 40 fps in FullHD. And this is the collison model of the aircraft, not the ground. :smartass:

Don't know about you but I am playing a game the model clips into the world as it does in many games which when shown to devs they put right. No chance of anything suicidal happening in a game unless I take it to heart with a sharp instrument. Thanks for confirming the clipping.err yadayada grow up. You started a juvenile comment way back. And learn to spell. Now that's what I call juvenile.

Don't know about you but I am playing a game the model clips into the world as it does in many games which when shown to devs they put right. No chance of anything suicidal happening in a game unless I take it to heart with a sharp instrument. Thanks for confirming the clipping.err yadayada grow up. You started a juvenile comment way back. And learn to spell. Now that's what I call juvenile.
It is interesting how you can judge the age of people from a few written words. If you would be my dad you would have needed an intercourse with my mom at the age of 11, but back on topic.

As I pointed out already, this is a problem with the collision model (not clipping, as in the environment does permit the camera viewpoint to pass through!) and has nothing to do, with the ground behaviour in DCS World.

It belongs in the Belsimtek Huey bugs thread or better wishlist thread.

The issue arises, as you try to taxi in a way that will get you killed IRL, if you won't have a flight instructor that will prevent you from starting this maneuver in the first place.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to taxi as if it were a "real" helicopter...

Shagrat

At 59 years of age, there is no point son.

At 59 years of age, is there any point in your sounding like a grumpy old geezer, because that's exactly what you do there?

Anyway, the tarmac surface should deflect any helo front skid bounces not let them sink in, so it's entirely possible that you just uncovered a surface modelling bug the devs would like to hear about. So how about making a bug report instead of acting like a dick here?

XXX,

Another 54-year young auld bitchy geezer

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

At 59 years of age, is there any point in your sounding like a grumpy old geezer, because that's exactly what you do there?

Anyway, the tarmac surface should deflect any helo front skid bounces not let them sink in, so it's entirely possible that you just uncovered a surface modelling bug the devs would like to hear about. So how about making a bug report instead of acting like a dick here?

XXX,

Another 54-year young auld bitchy geezer

It's not simply "the skids sink in". If you take off into a normal hover and slam it down, even with the Skids fore section touching first, it does neither "sink in", nor "flip over"... it requires to sit on the ground and deliberately roll over the nose with stick forward. The issue is most likely the collision model which is built around the 3D model and has a center of mass that with some other pointers determines if the aircraft is landed, sliding or airborne.

Though I am not a developer I am pretty sure it requires a LOT of additional CPU cycles to check and calculate for all technically possible attitudes of the collision model it could have while getting in contact with the ground. So Belsimtek likely has limited the detailed calculations to the attitudes that are in a somewhat realistic range.

You will notice when you crash inverted or sideways the collision model allows for a little "pass through" (don't have a better term), as you are actually not supposed to crash and if you do, you are "dead".

This is not related to the ground model, though, but the Huey's collision model, so it needs to be addressed in the Huey bug/wishlist thread.

By the way at 47 I am not feeling very young, either. Eyesight degrading, getting up in the morning a p.i.t.a. etc. so I may sound like old grumpy, as well. ;)

Shagrat

This has happened to me at a few airports and in the field picture Soganlug & Tiblisi I was just practising and testing [...]

I just abused a fine UH-1H for about 15 minutes in Soganlug and towed the skids across all the taxiways and runways I could find and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (besides the tower yelling at me, insisting I stop this craziness at once and that he'll have my licence revoked, to which I thought, which licence? :D)

Kidding aside, can you post a track or a video? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. In case you already posted this in another part of the forum, just share the link here and we can then continue over there. :thumbup:

The optical effect of part of the skids disappearing in the ground seems fairly minor to me, and I agree with shagrat that this would only be visible under rather extreme circumstances.

If there's any effect of the skid-to-ground-interaction tossing the chopper around, I don't think I noticed such a thing, and during my test it was always possible to counter similar effects with the cyclic.