[ALL MODULES][SP/CO-OP] Liberation Dynamic Campaign - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #61
Cik

shd, are multi-base attacks planned at all? IE attack is launched on kutaisi from multiple bases taking forces from each?

as currently implemented distributing your forces (as done in real life) is mostly pointless as really what counts is having a numerous force at the base that launches the attack.

also, it means that as soon as a base falls behind the "front line" all of it's attendant aircraft (sometimes like half a sq. or more) are useless (unless i am wrong about this)

really if i buy half a sq. or hornets at al dhafra, they should easily be able to participate in the whole campaign as no DCS theater is really that big. even without tanker support F-15/18 can easily fly CAP over the vast majority of the theater.
Cik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #62
Shein

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwp View Post
Currently about the status of it all: MP is a priority (as well as some bugs like naval interceptions), but I have a rough week on the job so I won't be able to work on that for a couple of days.
aww! I understand life gets in the way though. I've been checking this almost daily.
Shein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 AM   #63
ReflexArc

Hey man, this is awesome.

I think that helicopters may spawn too close to each other or have some other parameters messed up. I should have pulled some logs to be more helpful, but if you want to try and re-create: I committed 4 KA-50's to my last mission. Two of them were so close on spawn that they almost immediately collided in mid-air (quick mission) and died.

I spawned 4 or 5 KA-50's on another mission, with myself in one of them, and every time I loaded the game my helicopter went immediately and super hard nose up (despite input) and seemed to spawn nose-up for some reason. Unrecoverable. I fixed this one by editing the mission file so that I spawned lower and slower and it worked just fine.

Random edge cases that I ran into:

For anyone having issues running the batch file: the python 3.6 interpreter (python.exe) does need to be listed in the windows PATH environment variable.

For anyone having issues starting missions: Your saved games folder needs to be in the default location with the usual DCS folders. [I had mine on a separate drive and just restored it to default.]
ReflexArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:02 AM   #64
shdwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cik View Post
shd, are multi-base attacks planned at all? IE attack is launched on kutaisi from multiple bases taking forces from each?
Not in the way they are implemented now. I was thinking more of a mission that would let you patrol the entire frontline and pick out the targets there (or something like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cik View Post
as currently implemented distributing your forces (as done in real life) is mostly pointless as really what counts is having a numerous force at the base that launches the attack.

also, it means that as soon as a base falls behind the "front line" all of it's attendant aircraft (sometimes like half a sq. or more) are useless (unless i am wrong about this)

really if i buy half a sq. or hornets at al dhafra, they should easily be able to participate in the whole campaign as no DCS theater is really that big. even without tanker support F-15/18 can easily fly CAP over the vast majority of the theater.
Yeah, there's a logical problem with that. As a solution for the time being - you could sell most of the aircraft behind the lines and re-purchase it where it's needed. There's an idea for later to add enemy attacks on behind the lines bases (similarly to how carrier ops work now for the player) so that there'd be a reason to keep the bases stocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReflexArc View Post
I think that helicopters may spawn too close to each other or have some other parameters messed up. I should have pulled some logs to be more helpful, but if you want to try and re-create: I committed 4 KA-50's to my last mission. Two of them were so close on spawn that they almost immediately collided in mid-air (quick mission) and died.

I spawned 4 or 5 KA-50's on another mission, with myself in one of them, and every time I loaded the game my helicopter went immediately and super hard nose up (despite input) and seemed to spawn nose-up for some reason. Unrecoverable. I fixed this one by editing the mission file so that I spawned lower and slower and it worked just fine.
It does look like the speed was too high. I've just adjusted it in the recent (1.13) build.

Quote:
Random edge cases that I ran into:

For anyone having issues running the batch file: the python 3.6 interpreter (python.exe) does need to be listed in the windows PATH environment variable.
Shouldn't this be included as a standard installation options? I've checked that on the machines w/o any python installation and it worked just fine if you use standard installation options. Also it uses the py.exe launcher (which comes with installation) instead of default python.exe.

Quote:
For anyone having issues starting missions: Your saved games folder needs to be in the default location with the usual DCS folders. [I had mine on a separate drive and just restored it to default.]
There's a few problems with that also. Currently it would use %UserDirectory%, which will specify the drive, if whole user directory has been moved. Although this will not work if only Documents were moved. In the meantime it could be fixed by editing the start.bat file.
shdwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #65
shdwp

Okay, so regarding the multiplayer:

I managed to get it working. Necessary fixes are in this build: https://github.com/shdwp/dcs_liberat...s/tag/1.13_rc1

However, the process is a bit tedious:

1. You have to play a mission as normally
2. After operation objective has been completed, host has to reload the mission file (Change slot - Change mission - select mission and hit Ok)
3. Only then DCS will correctly save the `debrief.log` and it could be moved from `Logs` to `liberation_debriefings`
4. At this point campaign should pick up the changes and display mission results

Changing the mission is the only way I've found that would actually flush the `debrief.log`, in all other cases (if you simply move the file, shut down the server, change the slot) `debrief.log` will be empty. You can check whether it's valid or not if you open it up and see whether there's events in the `events = {` section. If there's only a single one "mission start" - that means that DCS haven't flushed the changes and server should reload the mission.

Could somebody try this to confirm that its working, and whether it does for multiple clients?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:19 AM   #66
Shein

Quote:
Okay, so regarding the multiplayer:

I managed to get it working. Necessary fixes are in this build: https://github.com/shdwp/dcs_liberat...s/tag/1.13_rc1

However, the process is a bit tedious:

1. You have to play a mission as normally
2. After operation objective has been completed, host has to reload the mission file (Change slot - Change mission - select mission and hit Ok)
3. Only then DCS will correctly save the `debrief.log` and it could be moved from `Logs` to `liberation_debriefings`
4. At this point campaign should pick up the changes and display mission results

Changing the mission is the only way I've found that would actually flush the `debrief.log`, in all other cases (if you simply move the file, shut down the server, change the slot) `debrief.log` will be empty. You can check whether it's valid or not if you open it up and see whether there's events in the `events = {` section. If there's only a single one "mission start" - that means that DCS haven't flushed the changes and server should reload the mission.

Could somebody try this to confirm that its working, and whether it does for multiple clients?
Okay, so Krag6 and I have been testing.
Very strange results...

Situation 1: attack mission. units: 2x AV-8B player controlled, both of them. 4x abrams.
Server starts unpaused.
Result: Neither push nor activate trigger happen, map is completely devoid of all units except the 2 harriers that we occupy. Debrief not accepted by python program.

Situation 2: attack mission. units: 2x AV-8B player controlled, both of them. 4x abrams.
Server starts PAUSED.
Result: push trigger activates, we receive message but the activate trigger does not happen, map is completely devoid of all units except the 2 harriers that we occupy. Debrief not accepted by python program.

Situation 3: attack mission. units: 2x AV-8B player controlled, both of them. 2x mirage computer controlled. 4x abrams.
Server starts Paused.
Result: push and activate trigger happens, mission goes on as planned, enemies show up and all however debrief is still not accepted by the program.

Situation 4: we ran the same mission that worked, only no player controlled units we just observed the AI. It didn't take the debrief that time either. It would seem that multiplayer is still broken.

On a side note, if you'd like to chat with us directly on discord so we could help you, we'd be happy to. Shoot myself or Krag6 a PM.

Last edited by Shein; 07-13-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
Shein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #67
Morod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shein View Post
Very strange results...

Situation 1: attack mission. units: 2x AV-8B player controlled, both of them. 4x abrams.
Server starts unpaused.
Result: Neither push nor activate trigger happen, map is completely devoid of all units except the 2 harriers that we occupy. Debrief not accepted by python program.

Situation 2: attack mission. units: 2x AV-8B player controlled, both of them. 4x abrams.
Server starts PAUSED.
Result: push trigger activates, we receive message but the activate trigger does not happen, map is completely devoid of all units except the 2 harriers that we occupy. Debrief not accepted by python program.

Situation 3: attack mission. units: 2x AV-8B player controlled, both of them. 2x mirage computer controlled. 4x abrams.
Server starts Paused.
Result: push and activate trigger happens, mission goes on as planned, enemies show up and all however debrief is still not accepted by the program.

Situation 4: we ran the same mission that worked, only no player controlled units we just observed the AI. It didn't take the debrief that time either. It would seem that multiplayer is still broken.

On a side note, if you'd like to chat with us directly on discord so we could help you, we'd be happy to. Shoot myself or Krag6 a PM.

Not the campaign maker, but have you opened and re-saved the mission in the ME? I found I had issues until I did that step - then no more issues.

I’ll check the new MP build over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #68
shdwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morod View Post
Not the campaign maker, but have you opened and re-saved the mission in the ME? I found I had issues until I did that step - then no more issues.

I’ll check the new MP build over the weekend.

There were an issue (resaving the mission fixed it) where user couldn't press "Briefing" button on the slot selection screen (which starts the mission), but that should be fixed now (it could only happen when there's 0 player slots on the server).
Old 07-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #69
Morod

Quote:
There were an issue (resaving the mission fixed it) where user couldn't press "Briefing" button on the slot selection screen (which starts the mission), but that should be fixed now (it could only happen when there's 0 player slots on the server).

I get what you are saying...

However, I am letting you know that I had the same issues as the above poster for all versions of your program (triggers would never start) UNTIL I resaved the mission in the ME. All the time.

How this relates to another potential bug is not clear to me, but I can confirm I had a 0% success rating activating your triggers on MP using your generated mission, and a 100% success rate activating triggers by using your mission AND then saving it again in the ME.

Morod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #70
shdwp

Quote:
Very strange results...

Server starts unpaused.

Server starts PAUSED.
I could really use the debug information since it looks more like an issue with the triggers and not mp: https://github.com/shdwp/dcs_liberat...roubleshooting

Quote:
Server starts Paused.

Same thing. I'd want to look at debrief.log especially, and want you to confirm that you did reload the mission prior to turning debrief.log in (as I stated in the post). Without that debrief.log would essentially be empty.

Tags
campaign, dynamic campaign