Hornet...the real thing !!!!!!

sascha01

But I do have a question that always pops up when I see them, are they really dangerous?

Yes, they are. Can't talk about the Asian ones, but the sting of the European hornet hurts like hell (talking from personal experience), and a few (can't say how many, really) can bring a man down. If one is allergic, already one sting is life-threatening. 10-20 deaths per year related to hornet stings, in Italy.

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

But I do have a question that always pops up when I see them, are they really dangerous?

Not unless you are allergic. The Japanese ones are said to be quite aggressive and people have been killed after they disturbed a colony, due to the sheer number of stings.

The European Vespa crabro is actually very docile, stings only if squeezed and does rather attempt to escape than pursue humans, quite unlike the much smaller Yellowjackets who tend to get very aggressive if disturbed while foraging. The stings are comparable to that of the Yellowjacket.

and a few (can't say how many, really) can bring a man down

Nonsense, if you are not allergic or otherwise compromised, the lethal number of stings for healthy adult humans is on the order of 300.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

In Hungary, Europe we have these massive, mean looking ones, that can grow 2-3 inches long. They scare the sh*t out of me. I remember when I was a kid, we were hiking with my uncle in the forest. We stopped to observe a huge locust. Then, out of nowhere: Bzzzzzzzmmmmm - a 3 inch hornet jumped on it, killed it in a few seconds, then flew away with it. I felt like running all the way home screaming!

17415112_86f2ef931f2ab75720ba41b39389b04b_wm.jpg