Uncaged AGM-65E or 65G refuses to lock on.

DaveRindner

In A-10C, Mav screen notifies that mavs are spinning up. They have their internal INS gyros to spin up. Is there a countdown, in AV-8, aside from RDY HUD symbology?

Nope, you just have to wait till it changes to RDY, there's no countdown - it will say RDY on the stores screen when it's finished cooling down. As the other guy said, if you de-select the Mavs at any time, the timer stops and resets. It should take 3 minutes.

I guess I am just not seeing consistency of experience. 1 out three startups, the startup fails. Same process every time, same steps. For startup fail, (1 out 3), the ship is prepared, battery ON, GEN ON, APU GEN ON, fuel pumps ON, Fuel propostioner ON, DEFC ON. Fuel shutoff in DOWN EFC Pos1(or ). In 1 out 3 attepmts, as soon as ENG STR is flipped, APU GEN flips OFF and for this mission, the A/C will never start. Have to quit, and relaunch. Follow same process start up works. I am seeing similar issues with AGMs. Same procedures do nor have same outcomes. That is developer issue. Oh well.

In 1 out 3 attepmts, as soon as ENG STR is flipped, APU GEN flips OFF

The gas turbine starter/auxiliary power unit is used to start the engine or drive the APU generator.

It can't perform both functions simultaneously, so starting the start sequence, turns off the APU Generator.

... and for this mission, the A/C will never start. Have to quit, and relaunch. Follow same process start up works. I am seeing similar issues with AGMs. Same procedures do not have same outcomes.

Please post a track, I'm not seeing your issues.

Quick startup (working left to right) ignoring lights, oxygen, flaps, etc.

• DECS Switch - UP

• Fuel Shut Off Lever - DOWN

• LH & RH Fuel Pumps - ON

• Battery Switch - ON

• Check DCS Throttle is synchronised (i.e. move controls) *If you do this, you need to reset throttle cutoff.

• Engine Start Switch - ON (APU starts up, listen for it to reach speed)

• Acknowledge Master Warning if necessary

• If RPM doesn't rise to 9.2%, check throttle cutoff [RAlt+T]

• When RPM reaches 9.2%, move throttle to Ground Idle i.e. move DCS throttle - RPM increases to 28.5% (engine is started)

• Other switches as required

• Parking brake off when ready to move (perhaps map to [LShift+W])

Tested DCS 2.5.2.19273

Edited by Ramsay
Add detail

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Sorry to say but it sounds like the problem is between your keyboard and chair - you don't need to touch the APU Gen switch when starting up. The start up procedure has worked consistently hundreds of times for me, it sounds like you're not following the right procedure - I'd suggest getting Chuck's guide from here https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-av-8b-harrier-ii/ and follow the steps religiously.

If all the switches are in the right position but the engine won't start, it's probably your throttle that was the issue - if you moved it before starting up, it won't be in the idle position. Try putting your throttle all the way back and clicking the throttle cutoff lever to put the throttle back to idle. Your engine should then start.

Edited by backspace340

Usually, yeah, maybe. But then I see things just don't work as instructed. There are discrepancies between what I experience and tuts I read and watch.

So lets take AGM-65E employment.

By default on start up -65E laser code is set to 1111. I want to change it , in flight to say 1540 (no it is not my ATM PIN).

So in flight,

Master mode is A/G set.

Master Arm ON set.

AGM-65E station select. the LMAV is box highllighted on left MPCD

Seeker in UNCAGED

Fuze IN (impact nose)

press MPCD Left btn1 CODE to enter new code on UFC.

So here we have problem, where there is a deviation of my experience form instruction. The CODE highlight DOES NOT stay highlighted. Maybe its a HOTAS problem of it issuing uncommanded function presses, or something else. YT videos clearly show that when CODE btn1 on left display is pressed it is highlighted and stays highlighted until new code is entered. So I cycle from A/G to NAV back to A/G to clear. Sometimes this works sometimes not. I see no pattern. But if under A/G the CODE is not highlighted new laser code entry is not possible.

So if I cycle from AG to NAV and back to AG, sometimes CODE highlight remains highlighted. But that is not the end of the issue.

I enter new in UFC, 1540, the default code 1111 is still displayed on left MPCD. I press ENT to set. Nothing happens. UFC is cleared, and LMAV code remains 1111.

Cycle the system again. Takes a few times becouse CODE highlight box does not stay highlighted. The guy in the tutorial video gets a stable highlight of function, while I do not. If I do get a stable CODE highlight. I try again to enter new laser code. Same problem. I enter code, 1540, press ENT, (also tried it with SVE then ENT), and again nothing happens. LMAV code remains 1111.

So I watch the video noting his button presses. Once again code is not being accepted.

I am doing exactly what is being instructed, and I get failed results. I see that I am experiencing at certain steps, is different then what is being shown. Have no explanation , and thus not able to find cause. Except I am being told, that it is a user issue.

OK, fine, lets leave it at 1111.

I bring up TPOD, TDC ON, STBY OFF Master Mode is AG, Mastern ARM is ON.

TPOD ARMED

Laser mode is LASER.

Using TDC I slew TPOD seeker onto nice bright target. Within 5nm , LASER is FIRED. TPOD is showing T is tracking, laser is designating.

Uncage -65E . Display showing laser spot within LMAV circle. Fire. Hooray. Missile leaves the rail. And goes off into a random direction. Obviously not homing in to laser spot.

There are other obvious discrepancies in tutorials.

In a lot of them, especially with this nice British gentleman, he uses AGM-65D (IRMAV). In my arming menus I have E or G. No D. What is further odd, is that in Instant Action/Ready on Ramp mission, the aircraft is armed with D. But in re-arming menu, and in Mission Editor, the Mav D is not available. Only E and G. Perhaps, he modded his AV-8B , or he was using earlier build, or build unavailable to customers.

I don't have much of an ego, I am perfectly willing and happy my errors. But I have to see them, and know where I am mistaken. But when I follow instructions to the letter, and get different results, or worse I have inconsistent results (even if fails), I start checking the source material. Right now in AV-8B I am getting somewhat inconsistent performance.

The cold start procedure is one such area of consistent procedure yielding inconsistent results.

2 out of 3 times, cold start works just like advertised. But 1 out of 3, I get a fail start, where there is no engine spool. Everything is set, all correct as far as I can see. When ENG ST is switched on, APU GEN is automatically flicked to OFF. Having experienced this dozens of times, I know that for that mission , there is nothing to be done. Redoing the startup process will not work. Mission has to be ended and restarted.

Edited by DaveRindner

...TPOD is showing T is tracking, laser is designating.....

Laser code cannot be changed on the ground with weight on the wheels if I am not mistaken.

Also

T = training mode (laser not firing)

L = lasing target (missile/bomb will track)

MRKR = Laser pointer from your TGP to the target that will be visible to anyone with Night Vision Goggles

You need to cycle the MFD button #4 at the top when looking at the TPOD screen to change laser modes.

Check out this video around minute 5

Also the engine won't start if the throttle is moved forward past the throttle cutoff. If you have DCS set to sync controls in the options, and your throttle axis is pushed forward when you enter the cockpit, your throttle may be moving out of the start position without you knowing it. When your Harrier doesn't start, make sure your throttle is at 0%, and click on the backside of the throttle handle to toggle the Throttle Cutoff. You should then see your Harrier start up.

Chuck's amazing guide for the Harrier

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AxKvVeNgc1ddXa_xH9W8tEdAblI_Mc5i/view

Edited by SVgamer72

So:

There's another method to change your laser code. Take off and enter autopilot so you don't crash, go to DMT on one of the DDIs, select CODE (top button on the left side), then enter a new code and press enter. That will then change the laser code for everything - Mavs, LSS, TPOD. You cannot do this on the ground - the code will always default to 1111 with weight on wheels.

The D model Maverick was removed a few updates ago because it's not a realistic loadout for a Marine Harrier - some missions were made before that happened.

It sounds like you have the laser in a training mode - you need to click 'SAFE' and then click LRNG until it says LASR, then click FIRE and you'll see a flashing L to let you know it's lasing.

I explained on my last post that if all the buttons are in the right place and the engines don't start, you need to click the throttle cutoff button (it's on the left back-side of the throttle). The engines won't start if the throttle is not at idle and any movement of the throttle (or having controls sync selected in the options) will move the throttle past idle.

I can't test now but one thing that may help with the failed startups is to make sure the throttle is at the idle position before starting the engine.

I also recall occasions where even this abbreviated early-access startup did not proceed as expected. IIRC, in my case I'd left the throttle open. With it in the closed/idle position the startup worked as expected.

Now I just skip the startup altogether and figure I'll wait until it's implemented fully before committing it to memory.

Take with necessary grains of salt as this is from an admittedly vague memory and at least a couple updates ago but perhaps something to try.

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

That is definitely good to know. AFAIK, my throttle is totally bottomed on cold start mission. It only gets advanced to IDLE, when engine spool is at 10% . There is a consistency to turbine startups, is that throttle is advanced to IDLE at 10-15% power, except in Mig-21 where it is automatic. I am discounting any FC3 module as computer does everything. F-5E, UH-1H, AV-8B, and M2KC have , not identical, but similar turbine startups as to when advance the throttle to IDLE to introduce fuel into starting turbine. I recall on my self-traiining on UH-1H, how I would end up with flame gouts during startup, and engine fires, when engine start went south.

What I am was/am experiencing in AV-8B is that 2/3 or more times the engine start is fine.

But on about 1 out of three, when time comes to flick ENG ST to ON, the APU GEN gets flicked OFF and ship remains cold. I always wait after turning APU GEN to ON, for the APU to spinup and start providing power, as MASTER CAUTION and Betty go loud. Maybe there is a time limit of 30 seconds after APU is spinning, before APU fuel is gone. My startup flow is from port-stbd(left to right)

DEFC ON

EFC POS 1

Oxygen ON

Ext Lights ON

Throttle cutoff handle DOWN locked

Thorttle is at ZERO

Nozzle angle UP

Jet Pipe Tem Limiter ON

Engine Maintenance Sensor record ON. Press one/

fuel pumps ON

fuel prop ON

SAS (pitch, roll , yaw) ON

Battery ON

Radios ON Set #2 radio (stbd) to Tower freq. (132.550 at Nellis). Get auth to start engines.

Gen ON

APU Gen ON . Wait for spinup and Master Caution to go loud and bright.

Eng St flick to ON.

Wait until turbine spins up to 10%

Advance throttle to IDLE.

Observe engine RPM and JPT

Start turning avionics, sensors, and weapons ON. Don't forget ground seat safety and AFT equipment Bay to ON

Set INS to NAV. Who wants to wait 5 minutes for INS spin-up anyway. Its torture in A-10C :)

Set MPCD as needed.

Set radios as needed.

Master Mode to VSTOL

NWS to ON or Skid ON (on tarmac)

Turn ON flaps

Set Flaps to VSTOL 60 deg. Which looks more like 80-90.

Test control surfaces

Get tower auth to taxi.

Taxi to runway

At runway departure threshhold, hold toebreaks down.

H20 to T/O

Nozzles all the way back

Power to 100%

Release toebreaks

At 70-90 knots, depending on grossweight and density altitude, Nozzles to 50-85 deg. as needed for STOL departure.

Assuming the A/C has leaped into air at 90 knots retract gear.

At 120-150 knots raise flaps to AUTO, Master Mode to NAV, NOZZLES to 15-25% as needed. H20 OFF

At 160 NOZZLES to 0 deg.

Set course and execute mission flight plan as briefed.

On return, shut down in reverse order.

When they engine startup works, for me about 2/3 of attempts, the above procedures works great. When engine start fails, I have to quit and restart the mission. I just got new update installed to higher build. So I need to see how that went.

Note: I posted this from memory. When starting up I have the PDF start up procedure on #3 panel for verification. So if I missed or mistyped something, my apologies.

That is definitely good to know. AFAIK, my throttle is totally bottomed on cold start mission. It only gets advanced to IDLE, when engine spool is at 10% . There is a consistency to turbine startups, is that throttle is advanced to IDLE at 10-15% power, except in Mig-21 where it is automatic. I am discounting any FC3 module as computer does everything. F-5E, UH-1H, AV-8B, and M2KC have , not identical, but similar turbine startups as to when advance the throttle to IDLE to introduce fuel into starting turbine. I recall on my self-traiining on UH-1H, how I would end up with flame gouts during startup, and engine fires, when engine start went south.

What I am was/am experiencing in AV-8B is that 2/3 or more times the engine start is fine.

But on about 1 out of three, when time comes to flick ENG ST to ON, the APU GEN gets flicked OFF and ship remains cold. I always wait after turning APU GEN to ON, for the APU to spinup and start providing power, as MASTER CAUTION and Betty go loud. Maybe there is a time limit of 30 seconds after APU is spinning, before APU fuel is gone. My startup flow is from port-stbd(left to right)

DEFC ON

EFC POS 1

Oxygen ON

Ext Lights ON

Throttle cutoff handle DOWN locked

Thorttle is at ZERO

Nozzle angle UP

Jet Pipe Tem Limiter ON

Engine Maintenance Sensor record ON. Press one/

fuel pumps ON

fuel prop ON

SAS (pitch, roll , yaw) ON

Battery ON

Radios ON Set #2 radio (stbd) to Tower freq. (132.550 at Nellis). Get auth to start engines.

Gen ON

APU Gen ON . Wait for spinup and Master Caution to go loud and bright.

Eng St flick to ON.

Wait until turbine spins up to 10%

Advance throttle to IDLE.

Observe engine RPM and JPT

Start turning avionics, sensors, and weapons ON. Don't forget ground seat safety and AFT equipment Bay to ON

Set INS to NAV. Who wants to wait 5 minutes for INS spin-up anyway. Its torture in A-10C :)

Set MPCD as needed.

Set radios as needed.

Master Mode to VSTOL

NWS to ON or Skid ON (on tarmac)

Turn ON flaps

Set Flaps to VSTOL 60 deg. Which looks more like 80-90.

Test control surfaces

Get tower auth to taxi.

Taxi to runway

At runway departure threshhold, hold toebreaks down.

H20 to T/O

Nozzles all the way back

Power to 100%

Release toebreaks

At 70-90 knots, depending on grossweight and density altitude, Nozzles to 50-85 deg. as needed for STOL departure.

Assuming the A/C has leaped into air at 90 knots retract gear.

At 120-150 knots raise flaps to AUTO, Master Mode to NAV, NOZZLES to 15-25% as needed. H20 OFF

At 160 NOZZLES to 0 deg.

Set course and execute mission flight plan as briefed.

On return, shut down in reverse order.

When they engine startup works, for me about 2/3 of attempts, the above procedures works great. When engine start fails, I have to quit and restart the mission. I just got new update installed to higher build. So I need to see how that went.

Note: I posted this from memory. When starting up I have the PDF start up procedure on #3 panel for verification. So if I missed or mistyped something, my apologies.

You don't need the APU to start the harrier.

Also, EFC should be in pos 2 (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208581&highlight=pos%2A2&page=3)

The only things needed to be pressed for startup (in dcs):

Battery

Fuel lever

DECS Switch

L and R fuel pumps

Engine start switch

at around 9% rpm: throttle to idle.