Identifying an A-10C from the outside - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
According to Snoopy back in this post, Suite 7s were deployed ≈2012. When the 163rd received jets from conversion in early 2011, they lacked PPs and were not Suite 7 jets.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=19
Not necessarily, exactly, when they were being deployed. But introduced into the A-10C.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #12
Snoopy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
When the 163rd received jets from conversion in early 2011, they lacked PPs and were not Suite 7 jets.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=19
You may want to check your facts, I know a couple crew chiefs in the 163d and I know for a fact at least some had the pave penny pylon on them still. The attached picture is from a friend when it arrived and he was assigned the DCC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03DEA1D8-B7FB-4FB2-A4C3-E43CC4EED5AD.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	183125  

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-24-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Snoopy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #13
zhukov032186

Interesting threads, both. I gather from all the back and forth, there is no reliable way to tell them apart (both may have or not have scoops, or may or may not have T antennae, although it seems certain features are MORE common on one or the other, neither is guaranteed).

That said, it got me to comparing photos of the legacy Hornet vs Super Hornet, and obviously, very big differences, but also something suddenly struck me. A Super Hornet looks a lot like a slightly streamlined MiG-29 with more closely mounted engines, especially from the fore-above and rear-below angles.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #14
Kippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
You may want to check your facts, I know a couple crew chiefs in the 163d and I know for a fact at least some had the pave penny pylon on them still. The attached picture is from a friend when it arrived and he was assigned the DCC.
The second post in this thread was from me, also picturing a 163rd A-10 in March of '11 with the Pave Penny pylon still attached.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...79&postcount=2

There are many photos of A-10s, not just from the 163rd, with the missing sensor but carrying the pylon. I have never personally seen a 163 jet with the sensor on the pylon - but maybe I could be wrong. I do see the 163's jets often - not every day of the week though. If you've got an image, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong and that not every jet came back without the Pave Penny. Or perhaps seeing just the pylon doesn't mean that the Pave Penny is no longer on the jet? I'm just extrapolating here. You're obviously more knowledgeable on the topic than I am.

Last edited by Kippy; 04-25-2018 at 02:03 AM. Reason: As to not make a fool of myself
Kippy is offline   Reply With Quote