FA-18 Hornet Livery Fails to Display Tail Number - Shows as Camo

As the title says, I always let it "fly" but now it's getting annoying.

My guess is that it's not registering the numbers texture and fills it with blank camo? wtf:helpsmilie:

Yes it's like that with default livery in-game and issue remains when I switched from Steam version to standalone. Maybe something we can change in the LUA? I'm skeptical to just start changing "false" to "true" statements for no reason..

wLEzVbj.jpg

https://imgur.com/wLEzVbj

Edited by Hollow_Point

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely there is an issue with the .lua file.

First of all, make sure all the textures AND the numbers are in the skin folder. Then open the .lua file and make sure the skin file names in the .lua file matches the actual file names exactly.

Then, make sure the files that are contained in the skin folder are set to false, all others should be set to true.

So as an example:

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_100", 0 ,"your_SKIN_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_100", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_100", DECAL ,"your_NUMBERS_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_10", 0 ,"your_SKIN_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_10", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_10", DECAL ,"your_NUMBERS_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_01", 0 ,"your_SKIN_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_01", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_L_01", DECAL ,"your_NUMBERS_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_100", 0 ,"your_SKIN_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_100", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_100", DECAL ,"your_NUMBERS_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_10", 0 ,"your_SKIN_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_10", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_10", DECAL ,"your_NUMBERS_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_01", 0 ,"your_SKIN_file_name_here",false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_01", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_NOSE_R_01", DECAL ,"your_NUMBERS_file_name_here",false};

First line tells it how to find the texture (false means it's within the same folder as the .lua file)

Second line tell it how to find the diffuse texture (I think) (true means it's outside of the folder that the .lua is in)

Third line tells it how to find the numbers file

NOSE_L/R_100/10/01 means left and right side of the nose 100s, 10s, and 1s places for the bort number.

This example covers only the nose section, there should be more for the wings and tail numbers, but those are handled in the same way.

Also, if you don't want bort numbers, type "empty" instead of "your_NUMBERS_file_name_here" and then set it to true.

I hope this helps, I know I had a hard time with it when I started making custom skins :thumbup:

Actually, I just booted up the game to see for myself and I am having the same issue. Opened up the .lua file and it seems like everything is the way it should be.

I'll do some more digging and see if I can figure it out. I'll post an update if I find anything.

UPDATE: It seems as if the bort number files are corrupted or invalid. I can't open them in any editing programs like I can with other bort numbers. Even renaming the file extension to .bmp or .png won't allow me to open them anywhere.

I guess if you wanna use that skin, just put "empty" in the .lua decal line and set to true to not have any numbers at all. Unless some else has a fix for it.

Edited by SloppyJoe403

Either paste the bort number dds into the skin folder or change the lua boolean relating to that decal from false to true to allow it to look outside that skin folder for the bort number dds. Its not camo, its a place holder texture for whe the lua can't find the texture it needs.

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430