A-10 HUD display bullet impacts?

Wrench

So we all know that when employing the gun, the HUD will display impacts using small circles that pop up where the rounds are actually hitting.

I've been wondering about this for a while, how does IFFCC know where the rounds impact to place them?

I have to assume that it has a sensor (TISL, maybe?) That detects the IR signature of the HEI rounds explosion, or similar. In any event, I'd sure like to know.

Wrench

Are you talking about BATA circle?

According to the manual P371:

"Bullets at Target Altitude (BATA) Circle. This small circle on the HUD is calculated using CCIP gun ballistics and represents the estimated impact of gun rounds based on time of flight. "

So they don't indicate real impact point.

• Like 1

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

You can see the actual impact bursts, you'll even see some further downrange from the target from rounds that skipped off the ground and impacted later. At least this happened back in the beta days. I've been away but reinstalling this weekend.

I don't see any small circles popping up.

You can see it clearly at 1:32 in this video:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

:megalol: hahaha can't believe this.

Those are no circles poping on the HUD.... Those are the bullets impacting the ground

You can see the impacts and a split second afterwards there is a little green circle following the line created by the impact points. There is only one circle at a time.

It looks like the the calculation lags a little bit behind. Most likely this represents the real A10C.

Are you sure this is not in game mode ? or something like that ?

Not game mode. I see it every time I do a strafing run. I'd also like to know how its calculated or sensed if anybody knows?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I think D3Magic did that earlier, in this very thread!

I can understand that there is still confusion. Ive read that portion in the manual and still wonder what exactly is being shown, how it's calculated, amd why it differs from the ccip point by so much.

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

I can understand that there is still confusion. Ive read that portion in the manual and still wonder what exactly is being shown, how it's calculated, amd why it differs from the ccip point by so much.

Yeah I'm just interested from a technological point of view really, how it works etc.

I've definitely seen them appear on real hud footage from the A-10 but I can't find the clips now to show it :(. If only the A-10 had a resource like F-16.net where you can find somebody who knows pretty much everything about the aircraft lol.

D

Proud owner of:

BATA is just a simulated indication of bullet impact based on target altitude and computed time of flight/average bullet dispersion. It’s a visual indication of bullet impact time and the impact pattern. That’s all there is to it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

BATA is just a simulated indication of bullet impact based on target altitude and computed time of flight/average bullet dispersion. It’s a visual indication of bullet impact time and the impact pattern. That’s all there is to it.

Cool stuff.. How is target altitude calculated? Aircrafts Rad alt or some kind of forward firing radar or rangefinder to get the slant range to the ground?

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Either from the DTS elevation data or the HOT elevation set by the pilot, just the same as any weapon solution.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are expecting more technology behind this than there is. If you understand how ccip gun tracking works (which is impresive on it own), then a history of impact points is very simply a log of where the ccip pipper was when the trigger was depressed.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png