1:500000 printable DCS/FC2.0 Tactical Chart (WIP)

igormk

I just printed out your map on my map plotter at work..Very nice indeed.. Very large map too..

Cool! What would the cost be of printing it on something like that?

I just made some calls to printing services in Göteborg and it seems it would end up somewhere around 900-1000 SEK to get it printed in A0-format (841 × 1189 mm) and laminated.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just printed out your map on my map plotter at work..Very nice indeed.. Very large map too..

Attached map is in much lower resolution (~4000x3100pixels)!!!

I would recommend waiting for the final version (~16000x12000pixels).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Cool! What would the cost be of printing it on something like that?

I just made some calls to printing services in Göteborg and it seems it would end up somewhere around 900-1000 SEK to get it printed in A0-format (841 × 1189 mm) and laminated.

Ouch - that is $140! We must find a cheaper printer - we are researching!

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Been searching and normal price in Pol is about up to 50 Euro, but I have found also propositions for only 5-10 Euro but don't know if it is either whole FULL (foto) color or just example maximum 15% of colorized page.

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Ouch - that is $140! We must find a cheaper printer - we are researching!

Note that this was a single print only. I guess the price drops rather quickly as volume increases. It was really cheap compared to some real printing firms I called first, they asked for something in the range of 7000-9000 SEK (980 - 1300 USD) for a single print. Then I guess a lot of factors like paper quality, lamination variants, number of colours all come together to make the final price.

Then I was thinking that A0 might even be too small for a source this size. If you print at 300dpi (which you should I guess) you get something like 40x53 inches (1 x 1.35 m) which is actually a bit larger than a regular A0. When I come to think of it, I'm not even sure what size would be the most convienient one. Of course you want to be able to make out all the details, but too big and I'm probably never gonna bring it out on my desktop to plan missions =)

Edited by Boulund

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

• ED Team
Note that this was a single print only. I guess the price drops rather quickly as volume increases. It was really cheap compared to some real printing firms I called first, they asked for something in the range of 7000-9000 SEK (980 - 1300 USD) for a single print. Then I guess a lot of factors like paper quality, lamination variants, number of colours all come together to make the final price.

Then I was thinking that A0 might even be too small for a source this size. If you print at 300dpi (which you should I guess) you get something like 40x53 inches (1 x 1.35 m) which is actually a bit larger than a regular A0. When I come to think of it, I'm not even sure what size would be the most convienient one. Of course you want to be able to make out all the details, but too big and I'm probably never gonna bring it out on my desktop to plan missions =)

We were thinking of 140 cms x 110 cms, which gives a scale of 1cm = 5km.

Map should be folded as all maps are folded - both land and aero.

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Why zones/sectors GG and KM are smaller then others?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Why zones/sectors GG and KM are smaller then others?

Not just GG and KM, the whole vertical “G” and “K” sectors are smaller. It is because there is change of UTM/MGRS Grid Zone Designation from 37T to 38T on 42E meridian. You can find more on this here, and you can check that it is the same on the real life TPC on this example.

I have asked ED to check (if possible) precision of the MGRS grid on A-10C, but didn’t get any confirmation or denial so far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wouldn't put Bullseye on the map as this is mission specific.

Peak altitudes would be nice but a lot of work to put in each one. Perhaps an easier way to do this is to just put the highest elevation in each 1 degree x 1 degree grid square. So if say in grid square the highest terrain is 12300 feet. Put a large 123 in the centre of grid square. This is typical on ONC and TPC charts. Feet is the norm on ONC/TPC however since we use metres as well maybe do it in metres as well like 39m

In the SCAN from an ONC below the large 123 means the highest elevation in that 1 degree x 1 degree grid square is 12300feet.

safetyht.jpg

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 1

I wouldn't put Bullseye on the map as this is mission specific.

Peak altitudes would be nice but a lot of work to put in each one. Perhaps an easier way to do this is to just put the highest elevation in each 1 degree x 1 degree grid square. So if say in grid square the highest terrain is 12300 feet. Put a large 123 in the centre of grid square. This is typical on ONC and TPC charts. Feet is the norm on ONC/TPC however since we use metres as well maybe do it in metres as well like 39m

In the SCAN from an ONC below the large 123 means the highest elevation in that 1 degree x 1 degree grid square is 12300feet.

OK, keep on with the suggestions! :thumbup:

I will be away for next 2 weeks, and after I come back, we will explore all the options.

S!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
OK, keep on with the suggestions! :thumbup:

I will be away for next 2 weeks, and after I come back, we will explore all the options.

S!

As igormk has said, please keep posting your ideas for map features until he returns.

In the meantime I am exploring the various options for printing these maps in volume, to get the lowest price for the community.

Unfortunately the map print size of 1500mm x 1100mm for the DCS/FC2 area, at a recognised aeronautical scale of 1:500,000, is not a standard print size, and is in fact larger than A0 or B0.

This means Litho printing on an oversize paper roll and then cutting, which increases costs.

Options I am exploring are:-

Folded and laminated. (laminated so you can create flight plans with water-soluable pens and then erase)

Unfolded and laminated (user has to fold)

Unfolded and not laminated (user has to apply a self adhesive film - can be purchased from most craft shops - and folds).

Printing at A0, which will give a scale of 1:600,000. Loses a bit of detail and is non aeronautical map standard - but will give 1cm = 6kms, instead of 5Kms.

If anyone is in the print industry and has any better ideas - please pm me!

Laminated would be interesting... however i think unfolded because i don't know how >1 m map can be folded (I mean without wrinkles) oO.

Prices are important too, do you know how much does it cost - not detail price but more-less. Example 20-30-40-50 USD ?

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• ED Team
Print it to more than one sheet?

That is an idea, but I do not think it is practable for planning a mission across the whole area, as you need one sheet to cover the whole area, in order to get your course headings, distance run etc correct.

I have I think is a very rare document. It is a map that was used by UK bomber command on raids on Germany in the 2nd WW. It enabled the navigator to track his position on a kneepad without having to open the whole map, but just change the leaves of the map.

It is very difficult to explain how it was done, unless you have the map in your hands. It was an exercise in Origami!

For an explanation see:

http://oldmaps.free.fr/oil/foldsys.htm

To print, cut and glue such maps required special manufacturing equipment, which seems to have disappeared from the market since 1950.

However I am looking! I wonder why such a good idea disappeared. Using maps a lot, it certainly beats opening the whole map and re-folding to find the area of interest!

• ED Team
Thge cut where you basically fold the map into 16 sections, make a cut in the middle, and end up with a foldable map that you can put in a folder? Still a common practice in the U.S. military, imagine it's still popular with pilots everywhere.

figb-2.gif

http://www.map-reading.com/appendb.php

Great feedback - many thanks. Another option to consider.

Looks a lot like the way we folded our maps in the Swedish army as well. Except the cutting in the middle; it would seem, at least to me, that that is just a recipe for making your map dissolve from the center and out in heavy rain. Obviously that type of fold cannot be meant for field usage and carriage in a leg pocket.

Edited by Boulund

Looks a lot like the way we folded our maps in the Swedish army as well. Except the cutting in the middle; it would seem, at least to me, that that is just a recipe for making your map dissolve from the center and out in heavy rain. Obviously that type of fold cannot be meant for field usage and carriage in a leg pocket.

WOW - If you're carrying this out in the rain - you're a hardcore simmer - I bow to you my friend. :pilotfly:

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - TO FLY IS HEAVEN. TO HOVER IS DIVINE - - - - - -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This will be getting my money! I actually suggested it in the FC 2.0 thread some months ago. An ultimate pack consisting of lo 1.1 (if possible,) FC 2.0, DCS black shark, printed manuals for both, and this awesome map all in one. I'd pay almost anything.

I'll buy them separately in either case offcourse, just might be an idea since so many of us are pretty insane when it comes to this stuff :joystick:

Intel i7-950 @stock, Asus P6X58D-E, 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus GTX 580, Corsair 120GB SSD, Corsair HX 750W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Q is whether it's many enough. :)

But it's being researched.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

igormk you did an outstanding job!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Not for "field" use. The intent is for sections A, F, L, and Q to get glued to the inside of a folder, and the whole thing folds like some weird puzzle.