Dynamic Nose and Tail Number system

Zeus67

Wich is the font for the numbers and letter?

I have no idea what font is used, but it seems to be different for the letters and numbers.

You can check the files: M2KC_N1 and N2 in the liveries folders, you'll see how they look there.

Jammer,

i have fixed all my skins, in user files, for dynamic numbers and switching spec files off.

Olivier

Hi Olivier! I guess you recognized your skins, nice job on the liveries. :)

I was just having them as examples to highlight the lack of specularity in the numbering material.

So disabling the spec maps doesn't solve the issue, but make it a bit less apparent I guess.

What is needed is for the dynamic numbering to have specularity so that it matches the rest of the airframe's material, only then can the area around the numbers be truly transparent. Zeus said he'll let the texturer know, so hopefully it will be fixed.

I just read some other parts of the plane didn't have spec maps either. I guess some of the materials need to be looked at.

• 2 months later...
Hi Olivier! I guess you recognized your skins, nice job on the liveries. :)

I was just having them as examples to highlight the lack of specularity in the numbering material.

So disabling the spec maps doesn't solve the issue, but make it a bit less apparent I guess.

What is needed is for the dynamic numbering to have specularity so that it matches the rest of the airframe's material, only then can the area around the numbers be truly transparent. Zeus said he'll let the texturer know, so hopefully it will be fixed.

I just read some other parts of the plane didn't have spec maps either. I guess some of the materials need to be looked at.

jammer, i just encounter same problem.

as far as i understand it's not solved yet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello UN9249,

I found a solution for desactivate the Dynamic Nose and Tail Number system.

Copy the file "empty.dds" in your skin folder (the file "empty.dds" is in DCS Worlds/Core Mod/M2000C/Liveries/...).

Then, modify the "description.lua" following the example below:

livery = {

{"ext1", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"ext2", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T",false};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_1T",false};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

}

name = "AdA 1-30 Cote d'Argent 30-KL"

countries = {"FRA"}

For this example, I took this skin:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2640890/

I remain at your disposal :smilewink:

• 5 months later...
The way the system is now, the dynamic textures have to be part of the 3D object, restricting the position, size, and number of dynamic digits. So unfortunately, the answer to your question is no.

It would be a feature request to RAZBAM, to add an additional number area that could be optionally enabled or disabled.

You're correct that it's part of the 3D model itself.

• 2 months later...

I downloaded some old liveries and love them. But emblems are lost due to this new feature system.

Is there any method to resolve?

If I still like specific old livery and prefer to giveup new dynamic number function, how can I make the old livery work?

thanks

/bump

A little reminder, with an "how to" pic from the ME, cause I still see so many screenshots of French aircraft with default DCS regs... which are not "believeable" sadly.

Let's take the AdA Cambresis (one of the stock liveries) as an example.

As Zeus said:

103-Y are in the texture so you don't need to worry about them.

So we need to input:

- the character following 103-Y (or in our example following 12-Y); it MUST be a letter to be correct; it will be displayed on the sides of the cockpit.

- the 3 figures of the serial # ; they MUST be numbers; they will be displayed on the fin and on the front gear door.

The attached screenshot shows how to do it. Some values inputed are not used on the screen (i.e the first and 3rd characters) but they are needed as placeholders in Razbam's system.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176149&d=1515916747

Happy flying!

Az'

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

A little reminder, with an "how to" pic from the ME, cause I still see so many screenshots of French aircraft with default DCS regs... which are not "believeable" sadly...

Thanks ... very useful :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

/bump

A little reminder, with an "how to" pic from the ME, cause I still see so many screenshots of French aircraft with default DCS regs... which are not "believeable" sadly.

Let's take the AdA Cambresis (one of the stock liveries) as an example.

As Zeus said:

So we need to input:

- the character following 103-Y (or in our example following 12-Y); it MUST be a letter to be correct; it will be displayed on the sides of the cockpit.

- the 3 figures of the serial # ; they MUST be numbers; they will be displayed on the fin and on the front gear door.

The attached screenshot shows how to do it. Some values inputed are not used on the screen (i.e the first and 3rd characters) but they are needed as placeholders in Razbam's system.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176149&d=1515916747

Happy flying!

Az'

God, it drives me crazy when I see a suberb Mirage screenshot with wrong number like 115-L1 :noexpression: :doh: I usually use ADA*** ( * is for numbers ) for 115-L* ( * is for the D letter ) paint sheme. Works all the time.

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

Speaking of, are there any reference photos of 2/5 Chasse using the 115-L marking? Most of what I find is -K, -O, or -Y. I want to make matching bort numbers as in real life, but I've only found pictures of four airframes using the -L code:

115-LC #108

115-LD #117

115-LJ #105

115-LK #85

Speaking of, are there any reference photos of 2/5 Chasse using the 115-L marking? Most of what I find is -K, -O, or -Y. I want to make matching bort numbers as in real life, but I've only found pictures of four airframes using the -L code:

115-LC #108

115-LD #117

115-LJ #105

115-LK #85

Yup, exactly, I use 115-LD with 117 tail number, couldn't find other images. Also, for 12-Y reg, I use 12-YS with 090 number, actually it's 90 on real A/C

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

I managed to dig up one more L code jet for 2/5 Chasse:

115-LL #86

So that makes five. But here's what doesn't make sense to me:

The opening post says that the first letter stands for the squadron. L being 2/5. Yet there are many pictures of 2/5 jets marked with K, O, Y, and even A. Wikipedia says that 2/5 currently uses 115-OA through 115-OX. Did the designation for the squadrons change?

I managed to dig up one more L code jet for 2/5 Chasse:

115-LL #86

So that makes five. But here's what doesn't make sense to me:

The opening post says that the first letter stands for the squadron. L being 2/5. Yet there are many pictures of 2/5 jets marked with K, O, Y, and even A. Wikipedia says that 2/5 currently uses 115-OA through 115-OX. Did the designation for the squadrons change?

Currently the 2/5 squadron is the last Mirage 2000C RDI squadron.

It inherited airframes from different squadrons as they were disbanded.

Painting is not always a priority, so what matters is "when was the picture taken ?"

Furthermore, the second later isn't tied to the "tail number". It depends on the arrival time in the squadron and would rotate as the plane rotate threw overhaul.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Currently the 2/5 squadron is the last Mirage 2000C RDI squadron.

It inherited airframes from different squadrons as they were disbanded.

Painting is not always a priority, so what matters is "when was the picture taken ?"

Furthermore, the second later isn't tied to the "tail number". It depends on the arrival time in the squadron and would rotate as the plane rotate threw overhaul.

Aha! That explains why the pictures showed such a mixture of nose markings. Most of the pictures I found were here: https://www.escadrilles.org/

I saw many pictures of 115-L aircraft flying side by side with 115-A/K/O/Y numbers, all bearing the 2/5 tail flash. So all RDI aircraft were absorbed into 2/5 and kept their old letter designations?

The letters don't rotate anymore. New system (a few years back), now letters from military registration are tied to civilian registration (not painted on the aircraft), so tied to the airframe.

So it's not anymore possible to mate an aircraft with its squadron using the first of the two letters of the military registration, as was the case before. OTOH, you can say from where aircraft came from: Lx aircraft were formerly at Djibouti for example.

FWIW here are existing 115-Lx registrations, provided by a friend (Cpt Stark). BTW, BD is aware of that for the next campaign :)

Registr. Serial Status

LE 079 Stored

LI 080 Preserved (Canopy)

LB 081 Active

LK 085 Active

LL 086 Stored

LA 087 Stored

LJ 105 Active

LC 108 Active

LD 117 Active

++

Az'

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

military [...] civilian registration

So it's not anymore possible to mate an aircraft with its squadron using the first of the two letters of the military registration, as was the case before.

:doh:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I installed a skin of EC 1/2 for a dynamic "campaign", and it seems that the skin designer can restrict the tail number to 2 digits.

So you can display #83 as it should be, instead of #083.

It allows the make accurate numbering according to squadrons if we stick to original deliveries.

Current EC 2/5 is more complicated...

Mirage fanatic !