DCS: F-5E TIGER II QUESTIONS

twistking

If you can't see the runway you probably have to adjust your glideslope. You are probably too low.

ok. yes, i also did some additional reading on AOA and it turned out, i still got some minor miconceptions about it

So essentially it lost that capacity while transitionning from the A/ "Freedom fighter" to the E/ "Tiger II" version?

That's kinda strange as it looks like it was it's most advanced air to ground weapon, too bad i guess, it would have been pretty interseting in DCS.

TBH the agm12 was obselete when there was a AN/APQ 159 V2 radar ( with TV display capability for Agm65 mavericks) available as a more upscale feature that could be requested for F5E production series.

post-300-0-78941000-1356641216.jpg

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 1 month later...

DCS: F-5E TIGER II QUESTIONS

I cant pickup targets at all with the radar.. they are usually fighter sized. How often (frequency) should I move the antenna? any arithmetic to use for figuring out where to point my radar beam?

For example my current altitude is 10000 ft at 2992 altimeter, target is 35 nm at 15000 ft, how to use math to point radar elevation to that volume of airspace and the 90° azimuth I assume is 45° on either side of my heading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I cant pickup targets at all with the radar.. they are usually fighter sized. How often (frequency) should I move the antenna? any arithmetic to use for figuring out where to point my radar beam?

Found your answer in chucks guide

HOW TO FIND TARGET ALTITUDE IN RELATIONSHIP TO YOU

Difference of Height (hundreds of ft) = Elevation Angle (deg) x Range (nm)

Example: Target Range at 10 nm, spotted at 5 degUP

H = 5 degx 10 nm = 50 x 100 ft= Target is 5000 ftabove you

For example my current altitude is 10000 ft at 2992 altimeter, target is 35 nm at 15000 ft, how to use math to point radar elevation to that volume of airspace and the 90° azimuth I assume is 45° on either side of my heading?

You probably won't see a fighter at 35 nm because the radar is not that capable. Best bet is inside 20 miles according to the chart below found on page 168 of the manual.

f5.thumb.png.21c4c16574ecac7a818443e384e6cb7d.png

Edited by Erk104

Whats everyones thoughts on the Aim-9 in their current state?

Useless to say the least.. from a rear aspect.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

They're no silver bullets. In a tight turning fight it's hard to get a good enough firing solution for them to hit. At the same time, MiG-21s (most of the planes you will be fighting in fact) can easily extend out of gun range and - if you don't have an AIM-9 to send their way - out of the fight.

I noticed the option to deploy an emergency tail hook, but wondered if it's possible to make an arrested landing on shore yet? Would be a clever way to turn the plane around quickly without having to lose the drag chute on multiplayer servers.

Hi, guys! Question for you, on the DCS F-5 airplane, would the engines stop running if I turn off the left/right fuel pumps when the engines are running? I'm using unlimited fuel. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, it depends on your engine power setting and you altitude, if you stay at low enough altitude you should be able to fly with boost pumps off as long as you want.

IRL test flights with boost pump off were conducted just for this very reason. J-85 engine performed nominally at max power just on gravity feed up to 37 000 feet, at that point there were some fluctuations in fuel flow, rpm, ITT. Afterburner blowout and subsequent engine flameout occurred at about 40 000 feet.

I did not test this in game yet.

Hi, guys! Question for you, on the DCS F-5 airplane, would the engines stop running if I turn off the left/right fuel pumps when the engines are running? I'm using unlimited fuel. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Further to Golos answer, the 'fuel pumps' you are referring to with switches in the cockpit are not the main fuel pumps. They are boost pumps located in the fuel tanks and their purpose is to provide fuel for starting and to provide a positive head of pressure to the main EDP or Engine Driven Pumps and the AB pumps.

The fuel system and pumps are designed to allow suction-feed to the main EDP (engine sucks fuel through the stationary boost pump) should these boost pumps fail, albeit with some cautious use as the fuel flow becomes aerated during climb or rapid throttle use, which would cause problems for the EDP, but generally the engine can run fine without the boost pumps once running to a degree - see attached notes from F-5 FM. It is generally the changes in pressure that can cause problems, climbing causes bubbles to grown in the un-pressurised fuel being sucked out of the tank, and the EDP is not tolerant of air in the fuel due to its design (positive displacement).

Obviously the engine is turning too slowly initially for the EDP to provide enough fuel pressure to the fuel nozzles, so especially needed during start.

Edit: you can also see how the Boost Pumps are used to provide for manual crossfeed, as by turning off one pump then the pressurised fuel from the other pump will overpower the gravity or suction from the other engine and as such will feed that engine too. This gets far more complicated when you start crossfeeding and shuffling fuel around in a C-130 with all its tanks and pumps and valves etc....trust me lol!

Hope this helps to put the 'fuel pump' switches in a little more context for you.

1337960412_BoostPumps.jpg.455e51f25003fa1fa690d302ca0ab580.jpg

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question:

I've been flying the F-5 in Nevada with no issues at all for the last couple of weeks that i have it. Tonight i started regular 1.5 and when i went to the module manager, i got the option to install it as well. No biggie, just like the other models. So i clicked on install, but unfortunately i got the following error report:

INFO : Got reply from http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

INFO : Got reply from srv1update.digitalcombatsimulator.com

ERROR: Version 1.5.6.4546.280 is not available.

=== Log closed.

Does anyone know what's up?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers and safe flying....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i noticed a new weapon in the picture of the f-5e in the eagle dynamics weekend news:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=167733&stc=1&d=1503041633

is it just a reskin of the gbu-12, or a new type of bomb, that we have not seen before.

also what kind of aircraft livery is that. looks very cool.

hey, i noticed a new weapon in the picture of the f-5e in the eagle dynamics weekend news:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=167733&stc=1&d=1503041633

is it just a reskin of the gbu-12, or a new type of bomb, that we have not seen before.

also what kind of aircraft livery is that. looks very cool.

It's a practice bomb AFAIK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

vfc-13 '11' livery from the default library.

stumped on the bombs too, they got white seekers/tails unlike the ones ingame right now -- could be a new asset, but looking at the portside bomb, the seeker looks like nothing i can recall that would make sense. looks almost as if the 'shuttlecock' seeker head got lopped off, so maybe it is an illusion.

Edited by probad

thx for the answers.

i'l check ingame, to see, if it might be a practice bomb. i could also imagine, that ED are adding assets for the upcoming hornet and that the bomb in question is just a gbu-12 with new color sheme.

gbu-12-laser-guided-bombs-of-the-royal-canadian-air-force-loaded-on-EGGYEA.jpg

It's a practice bomb AFAIK.

The U.S. uses a blue body for its practice munitions. While the seeker heads, guidance system, etc. are usually issue, the main body of the practice bomb, missile, grenade, or any other munition is always blue.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I am having an issue where I cannot seem to trim the aircraft at all. I have the controls mapped, no conflicts. I can see the trim hat on the stick move in the correct manner when trying to use them but there is no affect at all on the behavior of the plane. I gotta be missing something simple here. I mean, the controls are listed so I assume I can use them. I for instance have no issue at all trimming other aircraft, M2K works as expected, others..etc

Anyone got an idea?

Hello All, I am having an issue where I cannot seem to trim the aircraft at all. I have the controls mapped, no conflicts. I can see the trim hat on the stick move in the correct manner when trying to use them but there is no affect at all on the behavior of the plane. I gotta be missing something simple here. I mean, the controls are listed so I assume I can use them. I for instance have no issue at all trimming other aircraft, M2K works as expected, others..etc

Anyone got an idea?

Are your engines and generators on? Cause if they are on you should be able to trim the aircraft. Without the engines on you can't trim.

I was inverted B)

Are your engines and generators on? Cause if they are on you should be able to trim the aircraft. Without the engines on you can't trim.

Yes, I am in the Instant Action Free Flight mission. In the air, engines on, generators on. I want to fly level..my nose wants to drop, so I use hat trimmer, it shows in game the input..but nothing. No change in trim. All my controls work fine. Same ones in the M2k give the desired results..same for every other plane. Is there something different about the F-5?

Yes, I am in the Instant Action Free Flight mission. In the air, engines on, generators on. I want to fly level..my nose wants to drop, so I use hat trimmer, it shows in game the input..but nothing. No change in trim. All my controls work fine. Same ones in the M2k give the desired results..same for every other plane. Is there something different about the F-5?

That may be a bug in the mission, try using the key bindings and if that doesn't work seek help in the bugs section of the F5 forum.

I was inverted B)