TM Warthog Throttle Curve for the Hornet

After quite a bit of trial and error and getting some feedback from a real Hornet pilot in our group here is what I run for the TM Warthog.

0-6-19-25-35-43-57-67-80-90-100

0 Deadzone, 100 saturation for both, 0 Curvature, and only User Curve checked...

This works pretty great with the current build of the Hornet

I also highly recommend this part!!!:https://www.shapeways.com/product/3MJPNE2SV/warthog-throttle-part-afterburner-detent?productConfiguration=63799442&etId=186650009&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=2

Most of our guys are using it and it is awesome. Allows you to push through to go into AB and not lift...if your looking for a good curve for the Warthog give this one a try and let me know how it treats you;)

Edited by Greekbull
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

The shapeways link doesn't work - is it correct as this could be of interest

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Thanks for sharing

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

After quite a bit of trial and error and getting some feedback from a real Hornet pilot in our group here is what I run for the TM Warthog.

0 Deadzone, 100 saturation for both, 0 Curvature, and only User Curve checked...

Thanks a lot!! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

No problem hope it helps a few people. With other curves I was trying I was getting too little power in the middle of the travel and then too much when I came up on the power trying not to settle. Created a bit of a tendency to sail and miss the wires or hit the 4 wire more than I wanted. With this you get a bit more power in the middle of the range and it makes flying the ball to a 3 wire much easier IMO.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I also highly recommend this part!!!:https://www.shapeways.com/product/3MJPNE2SV/warthog-throttle-part-afterburner-detent?productConfiguration=63799442&etId=186650009&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=2

Most of our guys are using it and it is awesome. Allows you to push through to go into AB and not lift...if your looking for a good curve for the Warthog give this one a try and let me know how it treats you;)

you dont need to buy anything. just file down the original part with an angle. its what i did and it works like a charm

Edited by FZG_Immel

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I have an unmodified Warthog. I'm not using "Target" anymore although I probably should.

The curves set in DCS setup to 10. On my rig this lights up the burners as soon as I touch the throttles forward when lifted. Lifting those darn throttles with your wrists is a pain so what I do is: as soon as they hit the stops I grab them with my fingers from behind... I know, it's weird but I got used to it and it works for me. ;)

I have an unmodified Warthog. I'm not using "Target" anymore although I probably should.

The curves set in DCS setup to 10. On my rig this lights up the burners as soon as I touch the throttles forward when lifted. Lifting those darn throttles with your wrists is a pain so what I do is: as soon as they hit the stops I grab them with my fingers from behind... I know, it's weird but I got used to it and it works for me. ;)

you should really file that little part. then you simply have to push to get into AB.

Like you, I use a curve of 10 and its perfect

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

No joy with user curve.

Slider and curvature at +6 is bang on the money for me, and it's way more linear then your setup. When i use your curves and look at the throttle, it's not smooth at all.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

No joy with user curve.

Slider and curvature at +6 is bang on the money for me, and it's way more linear then your setup. When i use your curves and look at the throttle, it's not smooth at all.

Hmmm that's odd not sure why it would behave like the for you may just be a difference in flying style...

And what do you mean by look at the throttle? You should be going back and forth pretty rapidly when flying in the prattern. That's normal IRL is that's what your meaning...

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I use the X56 and have played with the throttles axis for several weeks, and can seem to find one which can check the ROD on final in a acceptable way. have flown he VRS FA18E and BA FA 18C in P3D and none have the slow response that this bird does. I think it is a BUG !

It has nothing to do with flying style. IRL the throttle response is basically linear. Yours is not. If you go from idle to mil power smoothly, and then watch your throttle in pit and on RCTRL+ENTER you see how it’s not linear. So basically you are only making it harder for you to fly with a non linear throttle response.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

It has nothing to do with flying style. IRL the throttle response is basically linear. Yours is not. If you go from idle to mil power smoothly, and then watch your throttle in pit and on RCTRL+ENTER you see how it’s not linear. So basically you are only making it harder for you to fly with a non linear throttle response.

Well unless you've been in the jet I'll take your feedback with a grain of salt...this profile was created curve was created with one of the real Hornet pilots in our group. He seems to think this responds quite well.

And while your curve might be linear the jet response in the sim is not. So this helps to make it fly like the jet should respond;)

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Doesn't work with the WH throttle detent as previously mentioned. This curve places the spot for switching from full mil to AB behind the physical detent on the throttle which is problematic. Especially when wanting to cat-launch from the carrier in full mil.

Thrust levers should be linear, no curve.

The idea of the curve is to replicate the engine responses - as defined and fine tuned by a real world F-18 pilot. It has nothing at all to do with having curved or linear throttles. I have tried the curve and I never use curves on anything if I can help it. I am still getting used to it, but I find it works better than a linear set up - especially when flying the ball.

But I guess, like you, we are all just armchair experts at this game, and we will never agree on anything will we!

So... BS Sniper...

You're certain that ED have mapped the physical throttle location to the exact same thrust response one would get in the jet at the same virtual throttle location?

I find that hard to believe because basically if I leave my throttle axis setup default I get the AB kicking in right at half way on the throttle. If I leave my axis default I get a huge curve in the difference between my physical throttle and the throttle in the game. The lower and upper 1/4" physical movement translates to about 1/4" in game... but the middle is way off. The middle 1/4" of physical throttle movement moves the in game throttle about 3" or more. So... which one is linear? If I curve my axis to match throttle positions is that a linear thrust response, or... If I leave my axis linear and let the in game throttle move weird with ABs igniting 1/2 way up the axis is that linear?

Please inform all of us less informed individuals.

For the record... Here's the curve I need to use on an X65F in order to have the AB light just after the neutral part of the AB detente...

attachment.php?attachmentid=189204&stc=1&d=1530843043

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Is there a way to use this device to have the afterburner detent AND the throttle off detent?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

For what it is worth, I include my User Curve figures for the Thrustmaster throttle with the Hornet.

0-16-26-32-38-44-50-56-63-77-100

I find it gives a smoother, more controllable power control in the mid-range (85% to 95%), without detracting significantly at higher and lower power settings.

Lots of suggestions in this thread - try them and take your pick.

Perfect for me Greekball, and thanks for recommending the AB detent it's great!

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

I am using a TARGET script instead. I get full military power at the A/B detent and then A/B when pushing through the detent. It works perfectly without messing with non-linear in-game curves:

SetCustomCurve(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, LIST(0,0, 72,77, 75,77, 100,100));

SetCustomCurve(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, LIST(0,0, 69,77, 72,77, 100,100));

You can map a physical axis position with a logical axis position. I have allowed a very small deadzone to ensure there is a small gap between military and A/B. Left & right throttles are different due to the fact they output slightly different values at the same phyiscal throttle position.

Can someone please explain what it is that you can't control with linear curves? Is it because you dont know when you will be in A/B? or will it react faster to throttle input if you make user curves?

Help me understand this:)