Shkval target box not tracking - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #41
TaFnIz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma13 View Post
This has always been the case. The Shkval lock range is only dependent on the time of day, not the contrast shown on the Shkval or the brightness/contrast dials.
Not only time of day. If you play around with clouds you get really short lock distances with Shkval. I played the last mission of the deployment campaign where time of day is 10:30 with really bad weather and cloud density at max (10). When i set cloud density to 8 instead of 10 i can perfectly lock on targets at long ranges.
TaFnIz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #42
The_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaFnIz View Post
Not only time of day. If you play around with clouds you get really short lock distances with Shkval. I played the last mission of the deployment campaign where time of day is 10:30 with really bad weather and cloud density at max (10). When i set cloud density to 8 instead of 10 i can perfectly lock on targets at long ranges.
And additional to this: it worked fine for me in 1.5, but i can't archive a single lock in Georgian Oil War as it has bad weather in some missions.

The Shkval control with the TM Warthog is (for me) not accurate enough to kill moving targets without lock.

If this is considered realistic and not a bug, killing moving targets is nearly impossible for me without best weather conditions (eg. 12:00 daytayme, no clouds usw.) although i have high contrast in the targeting monitor.

I can't believe the locking is this bad in the real thing.
Attached Files
File Type: trk LockOn.trk (3.83 MB, 8 views)
The_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #43
lobo**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dan View Post

If this is considered realistic and not a bug, killing moving targets is nearly impossible for me without best weather conditions (eg. 12:00 daytayme, no clouds usw.) although i have high contrast in the targeting monitor.
Perhaps this issue with Shkval locking parameters in 2.5 will get some attention from ED in the future.

Ideally variables such as lighting, time of day, atmospheric conditions such as cloud, precipitation or smoke particulate should impact the locking range of the optical system. However I would think it might be more realistic and enjoyable to have the sim look at more of the variables before giving a yea or nay to Shkval lock on.

My 2.5 cents worth.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #44
TaFnIz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dan View Post
And additional to this: it worked fine for me in 1.5, but i can't archive a single lock in Georgian Oil War as it has bad weather in some missions.
Maybe you should consider editing the missions in the ME before playing them. A easy way ist to load the campaign, click the missionplaner, close it and go straight to the ME and you should have the right mission already loaded. Now you can edit the weather conditions and save the mission. Afer that just go back to your campaign, load it and enjoy the target locking.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #45
The_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaFnIz View Post
Maybe you should consider editing the missions in the ME before playing them.
Georgian Oil War was only an example. As i build own missions, for me and some others with different airframes i get highly restricted in weather and time conditions if i want to include the KA-50.
I haven't tested yet night missions with target illumination from an A-10C. It might be impossible now to do such coop missions.
The_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #46
TaFnIz

Ah ok i understand. Thats of course a dilemma.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #47
Grodlund

I can't get a lock on anything, that I could easily lock before.
Playing around with the contrast/brightness DOES sometimes help, no matter what you say or think. It does.
Though it wears out you laser faster than you can empty your launchers.

I got a few friends to buy and try the module, and it's quite an embarrassment.
This is NOT how it used to function
Grodlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #48
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
There are definitely different distances implemented for different types of target (a building and a tank can be locked at a greater range than an infantry soldier).
I think there are only two classes of object though, and there probably should be a third longer range one for buildings (so small, medium and large objects, all with discrete lock distances)
That is what I find as problematic with DCS that we don't have a contrast lock but a key subject lock. We should be able to lock on anything that has contrast, be it then a individual tree or a flying aircraft or individual soldier, as long the video system shows enough contrast it should be possible be locked on.

It doesn't matter what distance the contrast has, as for the Skhval system it is just a 2D image without distance. The limitation for distance comes from speed the Skhval camera can turn and stabilize itself, so further distance target is easier to maintain locked than one in very close by.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #49
KungFu

I gave up on trying to get locks and just make sure the box is as small as possible and small adjustments to keep it on target.

However, the Shkval is all powerful when I can get a lock on moving targets ... it can even track through trees!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 AM   #50
Axelerator

Looks like those problems might very well be related https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203555
Axelerator is offline   Reply With Quote