Clouds with dynamic weather

Reflected

Any tips and hints how to get a lot of clouds (like 7/8 cloud cover) with dynamic weather? The only way I can achieve clouds is by generating 2 systems of cyclone and go as low as -2000 Hpa. But then, I'll get very strong winds, and still just 4/8 cloud cover. Any advice to achieve overcast with light wings?

Any tips and hints how to get a lot of clouds (like 7/8 cloud cover) with dynamic weather? The only way I can achieve clouds is by generating 2 systems of cyclone and go as low as -2000 Hpa. But then, I'll get very strong winds, and still just 4/8 cloud cover. Any advice to achieve overcast with light wings?

I don't know how familiar you are with the whole dynamic weather process. It used to be that you could achieve that with two low pressure systems with one dominant. Where they met, because the "winds" were coming from opposite directions and partially canceled each other out, you got more clouds and less wind. Don't know if it still works that way or not as I haven't played around with it in awhile. But you'd have to open the LUA and position the systems to where you wanted them to achieve the greatest impact.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks, that's the way I'm doing it currently, I just thought I was missing something :/

No. You're not missing anything. The clouds in 2.5 are very different from those in 1.5.8. About two years ago, I started investigating the dynamic weather system with the intention of creating a tutorial. I stopped when I realized that unraveling it could easily turn into my life's work. As part of that effort, however, I was creating some interesting dynamic weather and, this morning, I ran one of those scenarios in both 1.5.8 and 2.5. I knew that cloud density in 2.5 seemed less but I didn't appreciate how much less. The difference was much greater than I thought.

The interesting thing is that I don't think that the winds or rain patterns have changed (based on the little I've checked). In the video, though it's sometimes hard to tell, there was more or less the same amount of rain. Only in 2.5 rain tends to occur as "sun showers" due to the lack of clouds. So I think the system winds and rain have remained unaltered. What's changed is the depiction of cloud density with the new cloud system.

I thought I had brought the weather LUA file (uses three systems) with me to upload so that you could play around with it. But it appears I left it behind. I'll upload it this evening or tomorrow morning for you. You might want to alter it and try to scale things up proportionately. If it works, you might be able to generate clouds without more wind. And, based on what you find, you might have some of the answers you need.

EDIT: Just attached the LUA file used in the video.

South Georgia Coastal Storms.lua

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 4 months later...

Where did you attach this LUA file ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Where did you attach this LUA file ?

??? It's attached to the bottom of my post.

If you're asking where to put it, it goes in: Saved Games\(Your DCS Installation)\MissionEditor\weather\dynamic. You can then select it in the ME at the bottom of the Dynamic Weather tab. Select it in the window and, then, click the load button.

_____

Thank you very much, I'll give it a try

I'm not very familiar with the Dynamic Weather settings, i don't understand how it works

For example : can I set clouds density, thickness and base, with Dynamic weather?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Thank you very much, I'll give it a try

I'm not very familiar with the Dynamic Weather settings, i don't understand how it works

For example : can I set clouds density, thickness and base, with Dynamic weather?

In a word, no.

This will get you started down the rabbit hole: Yakbeard's DCS Dynamic Weather: How To Guide.

_____

No. You're not missing anything. The clouds in 2.5 are very different from those in 1.5.8. About two years ago, I started investigating the dynamic weather system with the intention of creating a tutorial. I stopped when I realized that unraveling it could easily turn into my life's work. As part of that effort, however, I was creating some interesting dynamic weather and, this morning, I ran one of those scenarios in both 1.5.8 and 2.5. I knew that cloud density in 2.5 seemed less but I didn't appreciate how much less. The difference was much greater than I thought.

The interesting thing is that I don't think that the winds or rain patterns have changed (based on the little I've checked). In the video, though it's sometimes hard to tell, there was more or less the same amount of rain. Only in 2.5 rain tends to occur as "sun showers" due to the lack of clouds. So I think the system winds and rain have remained unaltered. What's changed is the depiction of cloud density with the new cloud system.

I thought I had brought the weather LUA file (uses three systems) with me to upload so that you could play around with it. But it appears I left it behind. I'll upload it this evening or tomorrow morning for you. You might want to alter it and try to scale things up proportionately. If it works, you might be able to generate clouds without more wind. And, based on what you find, you might have some of the answers you need.

EDIT: Just attached the LUA file used in the video.

Could I just use this file for every mission I make? do you have or know of any other weather files examples?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Could I just use this file for every mission I make? do you have or know of any other weather files examples?

Yes. As long as the mission is in the Caucasus.

I might have some floating around but they were experiments more than anything else. I'll check and post them for you, if I find them.

_____